Sheffield Airport - sign the Petion to stop the redevelopment of the site

Some good points, we have a large population that are tighter than the proverbial submarine door. It's not the run way length or location it's the overiding tightness of the populace and the short sightedness of the council. Doncaster though should freight flying in on an hourly basis (cheap land, m18, a1 close by, long runway, Doncaster railport on its doorstep - its like the management don't know what it's doing)

Civil Aviation Authority figures show that Finningley's air freight business amounted to 300 tonnes in 2012 (102 tonnes in 2011). Not much when you compare it to the 270,000 tonnes handled by East Midlands.

Doncaster fails miserably on freight because it has no freight terminal, no freight warehousing, no freight road links, etc, and therefore no freight business.

East Midlands has 5 purpose built freight terminals and warehousing to match.

There was whispers about a mysterious private benefactor earluer in the thread who wanted to put his money in. Anyone know anything else ?

I've no objection to private money going in, I'm just not convinced it will make any massive difference to Sheffield given whole list of other transport problems.

I can confirm that a consortium of private-sector individuals has contacted the owners of the Tinsley site with a view to entering into negotiations to buy the land and existing infrastructure.

Doncaster fails miserably on freight because it has no freight terminal, no freight warehousing, no freight road links, etc, and therefore no freight business.

East Midlands has 5 purpose built freight terminals and warehousing to match.

I'm not sure how much it would cost to set up a freight terminal (and would each carrier set up their own ? Ive been to stansted and looks like how it's done but don't know for sure) but warehousing wouldn't take long or cost much - a cop out if ever I saw one (hence my comment on management in the earlier post).

But that's what I'm saying Doncaster SHOULD do alot of freight considering the other plus points.

Freight operators build their own terminal, (e.g. DHL @ E Midlands). Peel are a property business at the end of the day, and they just want to rent / sell real estate.

If somebody wanted to build at Doncaster they would no doubt be welcomed with open arms, but if it were you, why would you bother when none of the essential infrastructure is in place, and the very future of the airport is far from certain?

Who needs an airfreight terminal in the middle of a housing estate?

Freight operators build their own terminal, (e.g. DHL @ E Midlands). Peel are a property business at the end of the day, and they just want to rent / sell real estate.

If somebody wanted to build at Doncaster they would no doubt be welcomed with open arms, but if it were you, why would you bother when none of the essential infrastructure is in place, and the very future of the airport is far from certain?

Who needs an airfreight terminal in the middle of a housing estate?

I know we are drifting a bit here, but what infrastructure is missing for freight ? I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to build warehousing in conjunction with the building of the terminal - would peel really not offer that ? Or are you talking the m18 link road ? I'd love if FedEx setup shop there - save me legging down to stansted when there's a **** up !

I'm not sure how much it would cost to set up a freight terminal (and would each carrier set up their own ? Ive been to stansted and looks like how it's done but don't know for sure) but warehousing wouldn't take long or cost much - a cop out if ever I saw one (hence my comment on management in the earlier post)

Sheffield City Airport is not intended to handle freight. It will initially be set up to provide a base for general aviation, flight training, air taxi services and business charter flights. Scheduled services to UK and European destinations will be introduced as demand dictates and will be geared to providing passenger services to a predominantly business market. It is envisaged that the facility will stimulate trade and inward investment and place South Yorkshire on the business aviation map.

Sheffield Airport will not compete in any way with Finningley. It is fully expected that an enhanced level of international dealings in the region will help to drive up demand for freight and long-haul international travel, which it is hoped will open up new markets for the Finningley operation. Hence the two centres will complement each other in much the same way as the City Airport and Heliport Manchester complements the activities of Manchester International.

The prospective owners of Sheffield City Airport hope to work hand-in-glove with Doncaster Airport to help regenerate the Sheffield City Region and drive forward its economic regeneration. They genuinely want to see Robin Hood Airport returned to profit, handling increasing numbers of passengers and hopefully turning around the £11.7 million losses it made last year.

Now go and sign the petition!

Here, here, well said Skipseasaint!

I am with you!:)

Sheffield City Airport is not intended to handle freight. It will initially be set up to provide a base for general aviation, flight training, air taxi services and business charter flights. Scheduled services to UK and European destinations will be introduced as demand dictates and will be geared to providing passenger services to a predominantly business market. It is envisaged that the facility will stimulate trade and inward investment and place South Yorkshire on the business aviation map.

Sheffield Airport will not compete in any way with Finningley. It is fully expected that an enhanced level of international dealings in the region will help to drive up demand for freight and long-haul international travel, which it is hoped will open up new markets for the Finningley operation. Hence the two centres will complement each other in much the same way as the City Airport and Heliport Manchester complements the activities of Manchester International.

The prospective owners of Sheffield City Airport hope to work hand-in-glove with Doncaster Airport to help regenerate the Sheffield City Region and drive forward its economic regeneration. They genuinely want to see Robin Hood Airport returned to profit, handling increasing numbers of passengers and hopefully turning around the £11.7 million losses it made last year.

I know Sheffield city airport won't be used for freight, I know the theory of why it's needed to bring in investment etc, I'm just not sure its going to be enough to cover the various other short comings Sheffield has. It feels about 30 years too late.

I'm far from being an expert in all this (just opinionated !!!) but how will the businesses immediately next to the runway (and there is some big names - Siemens, HSBC ) feel about a quiet defunct runway becoming quite a bit louder all of a sudden.

I know Sheffield city airport won't be used for freight, I know the theory of why it's needed to bring in investment etc, I'm just not sure its going to be enough to cover the various other short comings Sheffield has. It feels about 30 years too late.

I'm far from being an expert in all this (just opinionated !!!) but how will the businesses immediately next to the runway (and there is some big names - Siemens, HSBC ) feel about a quiet defunct runway becoming quite a bit louder all of a sudden.

Most of them were there when the airport was last operating. It didn't cause a problem then so it shouldn't cause one now.

The petition is clearly being read by a lot of people to imply an early return of airlines on scheduled routes. That is not the case. It might happen, but it probably won't. This petition is intended to secure an airstrip for light aircraft use, anything else is a bonus.

Examination of existing domestic airline routes doesn't encourage too much hope that they would catch on from here. If a case can be made no doubt an airline might give it a go. As an example Aberdeen - Humberside - Norwich works due to North Sea gas and oil business. Chartered larger aircraft may have difficulties if terminal infrastructure isn't there.

The suggested smaller aircraft movements are not very noisy, so wouldn't be much of a distraction to nearby business tenants. Smaller scheduled airline aircraft aren't that noisy either.

If the FSB can make a strong enough commercial case they should be able to persuade Peel into making a deal. The council then come into play with any planning requirements. I'm not too sure how much weight anyone at Peel or the council will pay to a petition which anyone can sign, but it can't do any harm. It certainly helps keep the issue in the public eye.

As a reminder, the crucial final paragraph that is being signed up to says;"We, the undersigned, therefore call upon Sheffield City Council to urgently ensure that any redevelopment of the site of the former Sheffield City Airport (including further destruction of its infrastructure) is proscribed until an independent public enquiry is held to look into the potential for its future use as a facility for commercial aviation."

We come back to the point about a public enquiry. Who is going to call it? Who is going to pay for it? How long will it take? How will it bring about a quick resolution? In the meantime no airport, and no business park development? If the airport is to be retained for early use it has to be developed in such a way as to involve Peel in a harmonious and beneficial financial arrangement.

I think I hear choking sounds from some quarters, but doesn't co-operation beat confrontation to achieve the best results?

The petition is clearly being read by a lot of people to imply an early return of airlines on scheduled routes. That is not the case. It might happen, but it probably won't. This petition is intended to secure an airstrip for light aircraft use, anything else is a bonus.

Examination of existing domestic airline routes doesn't encourage too much hope that they would catch on from here. If a case can be made no doubt an airline might give it a go. As an example Aberdeen - Humberside - Norwich works due to North Sea gas and oil business. Chartered larger aircraft may have difficulties if terminal infrastructure isn't there.

The suggested smaller aircraft movements are not very noisy, so wouldn't be much of a distraction to nearby business tenants. Smaller scheduled airline aircraft aren't that noisy either.

If the FSB can make a strong enough commercial case they should be able to persuade Peel into making a deal. The council then come into play with any planning requirements. I'm not too sure how much weight anyone at Peel or the council will pay to a petition which anyone can sign, but it can't do any harm. It certainly helps keep the issue in the public eye.

As a reminder, the crucial final paragraph that is being signed up to says;"We, the undersigned, therefore call upon Sheffield City Council to urgently ensure that any redevelopment of the site of the former Sheffield City Airport (including further destruction of its infrastructure) is proscribed until an independent public enquiry is held to look into the potential for its future use as a facility for commercial aviation."

We come back to the point about a public enquiry. Who is going to call it? Who is going to pay for it? How long will it take? How will it bring about a quick resolution? In the meantime no airport, and no business park development? If the airport is to be retained for early use it has to be developed in such a way as to involve Peel in a harmonious and beneficial financial arrangement.

I think I hear choking sounds from some quarters, but doesn't co-operation beat confrontation to achieve the best results?

The aim of a public enquiry is to win time for negotiations between owners and potential buyers to take place. The nutters who want to dig up the runway to plant a business park already have outline planning permission (thanks to our 'far-sighted' council). If they move in with the bulldozers, any hope of a city airport is obliterated for all time. We mustn't let that happen.