Sheffield Airport - sign the Petion to stop the redevelopment of the site

Airlines arnt exactly flocking to Robin Hood, so what makes people think they will come flooding into a reopened Sheffield

Because it's officially the biggest centre of population in Europe without an airport - i.e. the biggest untapped market in the continent.

The population of Doncaster isn't exactly large and diverse enough to support international business routes. Humberside not too far away offers KLM flights. The loyalty of Sheffield passengers towards Robin Hood fails to extend beyond cheap tickets, understandable when Manchester, East Midlands and Birmingham aren't exactly difficult to get to.

Sheffield City should be given a proper chance, under an owner who has experience of running aviation business. Small extensions are possible which would make some near continent hubs possible again, but mainly an expanded GA facility which can handle business charters, only minutes from the centre of Sheffield, would offer far more than Doncaster Spaceport could ever hope to.

Current runway length at Sheffield is 4000ft give or take a few ft. The runway would need to be extended at least another 1500ft if any sort of business charter service was to take place at a reopened airport. Your average Gulfstream / Learjet business jet aircraft needs 5000ft + of runway to take off. Businessmen are not going to want to fly from Sheffield to mainland Europe in 3 / 4 seater Cessnas flying at 150mph. They will want business jets like Gulfstreams that fly as fast as regular commercial aircraft do and I'm not sure there is enough room to extend the runway by that amount.

Just received the same email myself. At last it seems like somebody might be taking notice of how important and unique it would be to have a HS2 station right next to a short haul/business airport as I highlighted here.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1089877

If this were to happen it would probably be the most important development to happen in South Yorkshire for 100 years and could potentially bring us out of the dark ages that we've been in since the 1970's.

The airport would be good news but is it really the great white hope of business in Sheffield ? Hull, Grimsby and Scunthorpe all have an airport (humberside, unsurprisingly) less than 30 mins away and they are hardly beacons of industry. Ditto Norwich (11 minutes !!). Derby and Nottingham are arguably in worse shape than Sheffield despite having east mids on their doorstep. They're main problem, in my view, is they aren't Birmingham. Sheffields main problem is that it isn't Manchester ( and the affluent west side is devoid of a decent orbital road).

Current runway length at Sheffield is 4000ft give or take a few ft. The runway would need to be extended at least another 1500ft if any sort of business charter service was to take place at a reopened airport. Your average Gulfstream / Learjet business jet aircraft needs 5000ft + of runway to take off. Businessmen are not going to want to fly from Sheffield to mainland Europe in 3 / 4 seater Cessnas flying at 150mph. They will want business jets like Gulfstreams that fly as fast as regular commercial aircraft do and I'm not sure there is enough room to extend the runway by that amount.

How did they manage to get bizjets into Sheffield City before it closed if the runway isn't long enough?

Hull, Grimsby and Scunthorpe all have an airport (humberside, unsurprisingly) less than 30 mins away and they are hardly beacons of industry.

I think you'd find that quite alot of highly paid jobs are reliant in one way or another on the links to Amsterdam and Aberdeen. Same goes for Norwich.

Edited by BSMan

How did they manage to get bizjets into Sheffield City before it closed if the runway isn't long enough?

I think you'd find that quite alot of highly paid jobs are reliant in one way or another on the links to Amsterdam and Aberdeen. Same goes for Norwich.

Your average sized business jet just didn't land at Sheffield. It was really restricted to just STOL aircraft.

Your average sized business jet just didn't land at Sheffield. It was really restricted to just STOL aircraft.

Sheffield City Airport was quite busy with 'your average business jet'.. It is well documented online, so you are incorrect I'm afraid.

You are wrong, and you are wrong. I appreciate that you aren't an expert and are just honestly parroting the propaganda put about by SCC, but take it from somebody who probably knows a bit more - you are wrong.

Sheffield City Airport was quite busy with 'your average business jet'.. It is well documented online, so you are incorrect I'm afraid.

How busy is quite busy and what are you calling your average business jet.

How busy is quite busy and what are you calling your average business jet.

Since you are still digging your own hole, why dont you answer your own question? Go do a bit of research and come back when you know what you're talking about.

Since you are still digging your own hole, why dont you answer your own question? Go do a bit of research and come back when you know what you're talking about.

You're the one stating it's well documented, so you should be the one to link to these well documented facts.

I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

---------- Post added 10-12-2012 at 20:10 ----------

You are wrong, and you are wrong. I appreciate that you aren't an expert and are just honestly parroting the propaganda put about by SCC, but take it from somebody who probably knows a bit more - you are wrong.

Please enlighten me what I am wrong about.

You're wrong. There's no need to 'prove it' because you're just wrong.

But I love the idea of a Gulfstream being "your average business jet" :hihi:

I dont need to prove it, it seems general consensus is that you have no idea what you are talking about. It is therefore upto you to prove everyone wrong.

Whats that, you cant? The well documented picture databases aren't lieing. Neither were my eyes decieving me when I saw them operating out of Sheffield City Airport.

Somebody called you a troll earlier. I tend to agree.