Football finance

As stranger says above ,the play off semi and final games receipts are split equally between the clubs taking part AFTER the league has taken its cut.(im sure i read somewhere they take something like 50%)

Not sure where you've got these figures from. I assume the gate receipts figure is from the accounts so will be correct but it will include ALL gate receipts including away cup ties. My understanding is the average gate of 18805 is for league matches and doesn't include cup games all of which were well below this figure.

Why is one cup game included when there were 4 home and 3 away. Also the share of the play off semi away leg will be in there.

I understand your calculation but you've conveniently ignored a lot of games with much lower attendances.

Why does that not surprise anyone:loopy: as I said in my original post moving the goalposts every time

Not sure where you've got these figures from. I assume the gate receipts figure is from the accounts so will be correct but it will include ALL gate receipts including away cup ties. My understanding is the average gate of 18805 is for league matches and doesn't include cup games all of which were well below this figure.

Why is one cup game included when there were 4 home and 3 away. Also the share of the play off semi away leg will be in there.

I understand your calculation but you've conveniently ignored a lot of games with much lower attendances.

To be fair it is a bit worse than I posted as I didn’t want to upset one of our posters who gets extremely wound up about this.

The rules for the play-off final gave you 25% of the gate receipts from a 60,000 crowd who must have paid on average at least £30 each (enough of you moaned about the cost) which totals £450000.

That then leaves you with around £4000000, for the other 23 league games, plus 1 play-off game and 4 poorly attended cup games.

The average attendance was 18805 which if revenue and attendance from cup games wasn’t included would take the average price down to around £8.86 per ticket.

I suspect if you add back in the revenue from the cup games, which were low ticket prices then you’ll still get a lower figure than I originally posted.

But if you don’t believe me, then have a look at this chap who seems to agree with me that your gate receipts are low for your attendances.

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/sheffield-united-blades-rediscovering.html

What is interesting is Titanic, never discloses what he and his family pay per match, its less than a tenner each!!

One adult season ticket (£350 and a £50 kid season ticket). great value, and on par with Uniteds average.

So when Titanic pulls out the footy for less than a tenner card, give him a gentle reminder :)

Eh don't disclose them, it's on my signature so I'm not sure how more open I can be.

Regarding the point, I'm happy to have this discussion if Wednesdays figures are released because I'm sure half the people who go to Hillsborough aren't kids.

Eh don't disclose them, it's on my signature so I'm not sure how more open I can be.

Regarding the point, I'm happy to have this discussion if Wednesdays figures are released because I'm sure half the people who go to Hillsborough aren't kids.

So Wednesday are unwilling to disclose their figures why? Convenient excuse. As I am sure you are aware all ltd company accounts are available at Companies House Ltd and the average attendances are stated regularly.

So why have you only chosen to look at Uniteds figures? A team you don't even support.

What profit did Wednesday make last year?

When your constantly barking on about Uniteds average price, you never bring it up, the bottom line is the Owls have the same/ish rates. Yet you feel the need to keep harping on about Uniteds!!

Both clubs are family clubs , how are you so sure on the ratio of kids that go to either ground??

Your another Owl speculating yet giving the impression your an all knowing expert accountant on all things United.

Your not :| yet give the impression you lose sleep over Uniteds accounts:hihi:

Chill , we Blades are:|

I would suggest perhaps both clubs average price is quite low, due to the vast number of season ticket holders, in relation to the "walk in " full paying supporters, yes there is too a kid factor, are you suggesting we are a bigger family club?? Its my opinion both clubs are family clubs, as your getting the larger gates, it would also be fair to suggest your getting more kids in!!... but you KNOW different.

Edited by TAT

When your constantly barking on about Uniteds average price, you never bring it up, the bottom line is the Owls have the same/ish rates. Yet you feel the need to keep harping on about Uniteds!!

Both clubs are family clubs , how are you so sure on the ratio of kids that go to either ground??

Your another Owl speculating yet giving the impression your an all knowing expert accountant on all things United.

Your not :| yet give the impression you lose sleep over Uniteds accounts:hihi:

Chill , we Blades are:|

I would suggest perhaps both clubs average price is quite low, due to the vast number of season ticket holders, in relation to the "walk in " full paying supporters, yes there is too a kid factor, are you suggesting we are a bigger family club?? Its my opinion both clubs are family clubs, as your getting the larger gates, it would also be fair to suggest your getting more kids in!!... but you KNOW different.

To be fair the point was brought up by a Blade in which he inferred criticism of my reasoning on this issue and I duly responded to his post, so harping on about it is a tad harsh.

On the specific point itself, I’d like to make a few observations:

Firstly the accuracy of the figure being declared for gate receipts in the accounts. If we accept (and even yourself are reluctantly justifying why they are so low) that this works out between £8-£9 per ticket, then surely you Blades must question this as even I know you can’t get a ticket for that price. So either, you are giving thousands of free tickets away each game, or your automated ticket system is being abused (an issue BB flagged up a few weeks ago), or the figures being declared aren’t accurate.

With regards to the pricing a little bit of context is needed. In the context of getting people into games I’m with you on this and United are to be commended for making football affordable, so no criticism from me for this. In the context of balancing the books then clearly it would help reduce this loss if revenue was increased and finally in the context of who gets the bigger attendances then the discussion is pointless unless this issue (and others) is factored in.

To be fair the point was brought up by a Blade in which he inferred criticism of my reasoning on this issue and I duly responded to his post, so harping on about it is a tad harsh.

On the specific point itself, I’d like to make a few observations:

Firstly the accuracy of the figure being declared for gate receipts in the accounts. If we accept (and even yourself are reluctantly justifying why they are so low) that this works out between £8-£9 per ticket, then surely you Blades must question this as even I know you can’t get a ticket for that price. So either, you are giving thousands of free tickets away each game, or your automated ticket system is being abused (an issue BB flagged up a few weeks ago), or the figures being declared aren’t accurate.

With regards to the pricing a little bit of context is needed. In the context of getting people into games I’m with you on this and United are to be commended for making football affordable, so no criticism from me for this. In the context of balancing the books then clearly it would help reduce this loss if revenue was increased and finally in the context of who gets the bigger attendances then the discussion is pointless unless this issue (and others) is factored in.

I am sure McCabe believes he does maximise gate receipts. He is a businessman and will balance discounted tickets against full price. It is called marketing. He underpins the loss so it is his call although I am sure he will take your points on board.

I notice you have still not provided any info on Wednesdays figures despite 2 requests. Anyone would think you knew nothing about your own clubs finances and were only interested in Uniteds. What does their price per ticket work out at? How much profit did they make? How much do they now owe Manderic?