Which kids tablet is best.

I've been looking at tablets for my daughter for xmas but unsure which one would be the best one to buy. would be grateful for advice and reccomendations.

Age, price range and expected use are important factors here.

she's 8yrs was looking to pay £150. want it so she can learn for school.

you can get a google nexus 7 for a little more than that. that would be highly recommended. just stick with a well known brand and you can't go wrong. there's loads of free educational apps on the google store.

Many kid-themed Android ones have recently been released, on the run-up to Xmas, and all seem much of a muchness to me (A8 1Ghz, 1GB RAM, 7" capa screen, Android 4 ICS).

According to reviews I've seen, steer clear of the Archos/Arnova one. Good ones are the MEEP and Tabeo (Toys'R'Us, though I'm not sure if it's out in UK yet). See this article for some further info.

The best of the bunch is reportedly the Fuhu Nabi 2, but that (i) is basically a Nexus 7 and (ii) not available in the UK, so you might want to heed yorkiepudd's advice above :)

Edited by L00b

I've done a lot of research on this myself. The smart money is split betwen the Nexus 7 and the Nabi 2. The Nabi 2 is more geared to children, and probably represents better value for money and better for your time as it comes with a lot of educational software, books and apps pre-loaded, and is already set to safeguard young users - you'd have to configure all that with a Nexus plus go out and buy the books/software on top of the purchase price so it's ready to use come the day.

There isn't a lot of difference in the specs, slightly better screen resolution with the Nexus, and one uses jellybean and one uses ice cream sandwich, each of which has their own proponents (as an Apple user, these remain sweets to me, so can't help there).

There is a good price on the Nexus 16GB at the moment that brings it down to the same price as the Nabi 2, which is 8GB. Then again, the Nabi has an SD slot, so you can add capacity to your heart's content - something missing with the Nexus.

Ugh, I've just realised how much of my brain space this is taking up!

If it helps, I've gone Nabi 2. I've been swayed by the SD, the fantastic parental controls, and the free software. At this young age, I realy, really want to know my child's internet use is locked down and safe.

Good luck!

ETA: The Nabi 2 is now available in the UK...at Argos and Smyths, to the best of my knowledge.

And I've read some very dire reviews of the Meep and lukewarm Tabeo.

Edited by cosywolf

Only started to look into this today myself, as I overheard my little one mention 'a tablet advertised on TV' on my way out to work, her laptop needs replacing anyway, and I can't seem to be able to peel her off my iPad :D

ETA: The Nabi 2 is now available in the UK...at Argos and Smyths, to the best of my knowledge.
Top marks, cosywolf, thx much for that - Nabi 2 it is :thumbsup:

Thankyou to you all for your advice. I will have a look at the nexus 7 and nabi 2. Liking the sound of the nabi 2 for the educational software and parental control. Thanks guys

Thankyou to you all for your advice. I will have a look at the nexus 7 and nabi 2. Liking the sound of the nabi 2 for the educational software and parental control. Thanks guys

:)

Now, if someone could just tell me how you explain to the younger sibling why the older one gets a tablet and they don't... :roll:

And also why the massive chasm in technology up to the first tablet? I've had real trouble finding a viable, less expensive alternative for a younger child. Why? The technology is there - why lumber them with 3" screens with poor, clunky graphics?

Forget the kid ones and go for the Nexus - its in a different class entirely.

Forget the kid ones and go for the Nexus - its in a different class entirely.
The Nabi 2 is pretty much a Nexus 7 - same spec overall, except for the slightly lower res (1024x600 vs. 1280x800). But then on a 7" screen, and considering the intended user, I'd say that matters little.

More advantageously now, the Nabi 2 has a MicroSD slot and a HDMI out, that the Nexus 7 hasn't.

Most advantageously, relative to a Nexus, it is designed (materials and casing) to take the sort of knocks, drops, and scrapes which will inevitably happen when owned and used by kids. With some of the drop tests I have seen it survive in vids, I really don't think a Nexus would, Gorilla glass or not.

Edited by L00b