The Moor to become the 'Oxford Street' of Sheffield

the moor is starting to get there more of the closed shops are opening now the old argos is been worked on at the moment .

They are working on the asbestos. Dont be expecting anyone trading in their any time soon, or any of those blocks.

They are working on the asbestos. Dont be expecting anyone trading in their any time soon, or any of those blocks.

That is one of the blocks that will be demolished next year to make way for the new modern retail units.

Won't it be nice not to have to walk down a ramp to get in?!

A post earlier in the thread said that the city centre has gone downhill in the 20 years since Meadowhall opened. I tend to agree. Why on earth a car driver would voluntarily contend with the one way (or no way!) system in Sheffield, pay for the privilege of parking and then go to the "quality" shops currently in town, when they could go the Meadowhall, park for free and have good shops is beyond me.

Now look at Newcastle. They've got the Metro Centre on the outskirts, so you'd expect their city centre to be a god-awful as Sheffield. T'ain't so, Newcastle has got a very nice set of city centre shops, far superior to Sheffield, including Eldon Square - a mini-Meadowhall, if you haven't been to it.

It's also noticeable as you drive into Newcastle there are signs saying there are 10,000 parking places in the centre. Now that'd encourage me to drive in and do a bit of Xmas shopping, even though I'd have to pay. As a stranger to the city, their roads are a bit tricky to navigate, but an order of magnitude easier to get around than the closed road, no left turn, no right turn, no entry, bus gate, one way abortion that is Sheffield within the Inner Ring Road.

How many parking places are there in Sheffield, within the Inner Ring Road? How many of them are available to weekend shoppers? Why don't the council make it easy, nay a pleasure, for shoppers and retailers to come to the city centre, just like successful Newcastle does?

Sheffield City Council aren't anti-car, are they? Are they? Oh. Right. Forget I posted anything then...

Edit: After some digging on the council website and calculator work, (where one to be of a cynical disposition, one might think the level of provision was trying to be down-played), it looks like there's around 9000 parking spots in the city centre, including 1400 on-street. Allowing that the majority of the on-street are probably limited to an hour and a fair number of the off-street are short stay, not exactly an encouragement to rejuvenate the city centre with our hard earned by spending the day there shopping, is it?

Edited by mapleboy

A post earlier in the thread said that the city centre has gone downhill in the 20 years since Meadowhall opened. I tend to agree. Why on earth a car driver would voluntarily contend with the one way (or no way!) system in Sheffield, pay for the privilege of parking and then go to the "quality" shops currently in town, when they could go the Meadowhall, park for free and have good shops is beyond me.

Now look at Newcastle. They've got the Metro Centre on the outskirts, so you'd expect their city centre to be a god-awful as Sheffield. T'ain't so, Newcastle has got a very nice set of city centre shops, far superior to Sheffield, including Eldon Square - a mini-Meadowhall, if you haven't been to it.

It's also noticeable as you drive into Newcastle there are signs saying there are 10,000 parking places in the centre. Now that'd encourage me to drive in and do a bit of Xmas shopping, even though I'd have to pay. As a stranger to the city, their roads are a bit tricky to navigate, but an order of magnitude easier to get around than the closed road, no left turn, no right turn, no entry, bus gate, one way abortion that is Sheffield within the Inner Ring Road.

How many parking places are there in Sheffield, within the Inner Ring Road? How many of them are available to weekend shoppers? Why don't the council make it easy, nay a pleasure, for shoppers and retailers to come to the city centre, just like successful Newcastle does?

Sheffield City Council aren't anti-car, are they? Are they? Oh. Right. Forget I posted anything then...

Edit: After some digging on the council website and calculator work, (where one to be of a cynical disposition, one might think the level of provision was trying to be down-played), it looks like there's around 9000 parking spots in the city centre, including 1400 on-street. Allowing that the majority of the on-street are probably limited to an hour and a fair number of the off-street are short stay, not exactly an encouragement to rejuvenate the city centre with our hard earned by spending the day there shopping, is it?

What exactly is it that you are moaning about?

In the space of a couple of paragraphs, you claim that Newcastle is great because they have 10,000 parking spaces.

Yet, a couple of paragraphs further along, you acknowledge that actually, Sheffield has pretty much the same amount of parking, but you still feel free to slag it off, based on unresearched and incorrect suppositions.

If you are going to criticise the place at least take the trouble to do some research and get your facts right.

Most towns and cities of any size have zone based parking systems. The inner zone is usually short stay, so that spaces are available to shoppers, who usually only need one or two hours parking. As demand is usually high in these areas, prices are highest. Zones further out are cheaper and allow longer stays. That is exactly the same in Newcastle.

You might also be interested to know that the Council's central zone short stay car parks in Sheffield allow parking for stays of up to 6 hours, which you can currently get for £3 in selected car parks.

Oh, and, by the way, Newcastle charge for on street parking in the city centre on Sundays. Sheffield don't.

I'm in tears of laughter thinking that anywhere in Sheffield could be compared with Oxford Street. How about the canal basin being the Venice of the North? Castle Market being the Covent Garden of Yorkshire? The comparisons are endless and so true!

I'm in tears of laughter thinking that anywhere in Sheffield could be compared with Oxford Street. How about the canal basin being the Venice of the North? Castle Market being the Covent Garden of Yorkshire? The comparisons are endless and so true!

I absolutely agree! only when this delusional, provincial claptrap ('city of sport', 'home of football', rival of Manchester/ Leeds etc) ceases, can this city grow up, get real, recognise and build upon what's left of it's singular identity and uniqueness.

I absolutely agree! only when this delusional, provincial claptrap ('city of sport', 'home of football', rival of Manchester/ Leeds etc) ceases, can this city grow up, get real, recognise and build upon what's left of it's singular identity and uniqueness.[/QUOTE]

And can you actually define what that is, & how that would manifest itself practically?

The comparison with Leeds is: that it's a northern industrial town, of similar size, that's ridden the recession & is increasing it's retail facilities, when we're generally losing them. Sheffield is capable of doing the same, if led in the right way. The Business Community knows that a lot of trade is leaving the city to our surrounding neighbours, because of the lack of the right kind of retail developments.

And can you actually define what that is, & how that would manifest itself practically?

Its unique terrain, topology, its incredible local music scene, its indifference to national trends and patterns (the 'riots'), it's accent, its incredible variety of environments (East/West), its entire existence despite seemingly always overlooked by the London based media, who always (lazily) use Manchester as the designated 'City of The North' when creating some gritty rainswept drama or comedy depiction of lovable underclass folk!

Edited by beefface

I've found a better way to shop without paying any car park fees,i have just bought all my Christmas presents from Amazon.A lot cheaper as well.:)

Its unique terrain, topology, its incredible local music scene, its indifference to national trends and patterns (the 'riots'), it's accent, its incredible variety of environments (East/West), its entire existence despite seemingly always overlooked by the London based media, who always (lazily) use Manchester as the designated 'City of The North' when creating some gritty rainswept drama or comedy depiction of lovable underclass folk!

All great things about the city, no doubt.

But (bearing in mind this particular thread's mainly about retail) how does all that; create new developments, facilities, jobs - & redevelop the derelict areas/empty buildings around the town centre? At some point, somebody has to do something practical.

They will make it all nice and posh, then stick another load of tacky traders down the middle. Oxford Street, possibly, mixed with Peckham market.