School leaver benefits

I'm saying at 16 they should look at getting a job to help fund their own choices. I worked as a glass collector from the age of 14 in a pub because it was safer than a paper round. I never even considered applying for assistance.

What's he going to do when his course finished in a few years, sign on?

Personally I think people are just looking for the easy options rather than earning a decent wage.

get the job that hes been trained up to do

There is an information pack that he can get from school or the college.

I'm not sure a two day a week course is classified as full time

Good luck to him

get the job that hes been trained up to do

Won't happen, have you heard how many people have graduated and actually got a job in that field. Very few. Most are working in call centres

I'm all for him going to college and uni etc. My argument is that I just think he should look for a little job rather than relying on the government as that might have a knock on effect later in life. Knowing its easy to get benefits so why try looking for a job if he is unfortunate enough to lose his

I'm saying at 16 they should look at getting a job to help fund their own choices. I worked as a glass collector from the age of 14 in a pub because it was safer than a paper round. I never even considered applying for assistance.

What's he going to do when his course finished in a few years, sign on?

Personally I think people are just looking for the easy options rather than earning a decent wage.

Personally I think you're a narrow-minded bigot but that's opinions.

Your criticism of kids' parents getting benefits ignores my point that there'd be very few kids doing A Levels if benefits for them were withdrawn. Not everyone can get jobs to fund their way through college. The country's economy would nosedive if everyone left at 16 to work. No one with A Levels. No one with degrees. Where would teachers, solicitors, scientists, engineers and other trained professionals come from?

In a few years he'll have qualifications to look for a job a bit more skilled that glass-collecting or delivering papers. Just because you chose one path doesn't mean everyone has to jack education in at 16. Or perhaps we can get rid of careers advisers and just tell everyone to do in life what taylor1986 did.

Won't happen, have you heard how many people have graduated and actually got a job in that field. Very few. Most are working in call centres

I'm all for him going to college and uni etc. My argument is that I just think he should look for a little job rather than relying on the government as that might have a knock on effect later in life. Knowing its easy to get benefits so why try looking for a job if he is unfortunate enough to lose his

You've contradicted yourself there. You say most graduates are working but then say they won't look for work if they can get benefits instead. Make your mind up.

I doubt if most graduates are working in call centres by the way.

Your criticism of kids' parents getting benefits ignores my point that there'd be very few kids doing A Levels if benefits for them were withdrawn. Not everyone can get jobs to fund their way through college. The country's economy would nosedive if everyone left at 16 to work. No one with A Levels. No one with degrees. Where would teachers, solicitors, scientists, engineers and other trained professionals come from?

In a few years he'll have qualifications to look for a job a bit more skilled that glass-collecting or delivering papers. Just because you chose one path doesn't mean everyone has to jack education in at 16. Or perhaps we can get rid of careers advisers and just tell everyone to do in life what taylor1986 did.

so they teach you at school to become a nurse fireman steel erector doctor etc like i said earlier prick... and thanks for your comments

so they teach you at school to become a nurse fireman steel erector doctor etc like i said earlier prick... and thanks for your comments

You should have added psychiatrist. I think taylor1986 would relate to that more.

:loopy:

You should have added psychiatrist. I think taylor1986 would relate to that more.

thanks lol

Today is my daughter graduation day. She has a First Class Honours Degree in Biomedical Science and has got as job as a Scientist. In a house of six girls all but one of them have full time jobs in their field and that is through choice. So further education can work, they are not all dodging work!

Remember also that post 18 starts for the very first time for next years school leavers where they HAVE to stay in full time education or training until they are 18.

You're quite right that people need to go into further and higher education, but as a general rule those in education can claim no benefits.

As already discussed their parents can continue to get child benefit and that's about it. There is no additional help available to students or their parents as a rule to keep them in education.

And the idea that if they need extra money then they should work part time isn't a bad one, it instills a work ethic early on.

You're quite right that people need to go into further and higher education, but as a general rule those in education can claim no benefits.

As already discussed their parents can continue to get child benefit and that's about it. There is no additional help available to students or their parents as a rule to keep them in education.

And the idea that if they need extra money then they should work part time isn't a bad one, it instills a work ethic early on.

Parents can claim Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit for dependent children who are doing A Levels or similar up to age 19. That's what this thread is about. After that it becomes difficult. The OP should see about getting CTC after August if his/her son is doing A Levels or another qualification which allows her to get CTC.