Castle Market Photos

I am planning on a photo visit to Castle Market in the not too distant future

I have looked on picture shefield and the old sheffield photos facebook page but does anyone have any more pictures of the place? I like to take an old picture, and then try and take a new one from the same angle to show the changes.

I really like the building but doubt it will be there much longer

dunno, there are bits that look new, signage etc, and i suspect it was in a lot better condition when it was new :lol:

there is a new group on face book called memories of sheffield theres some pics on there.

Here are two stills from the 1965 German film "Menschen in Sheffield" (People in Sheffield) - see for example Post #15 on this thread..:)

Thank's hillsbro, that really took me back, health and safety would have had a birthday back then.

You soon forget how dirty parts of the city looked , but you never forget that camaraderie do you..

Hi grinder - yes, it certainly takes you back. The film was shot in November, and being also in black & white it tends to make the city look grimier than it actually was, but the Castle Market sequences capture the atmosphere of that time. I can remember the Castle Market being built.... Bloomin' heck - am I really as old as that...?.:o

Thank's hillsbro, that really took me back, health and safety would have had a birthday back then.

You soon forget how dirty parts of the city looked , but you never forget that camaraderie do you..

"You soon forget how dirty parts of the city looked"

Have you seen the area NOW, much much dirtier.

The building is still the same but the surrounds. . vagabonds, litter, closed shops, your pictures will shown the difference between then and now.

Thanks for the replies, I did go before Christmas, and took lots of photos, im not that happy with them and I am going back soon, hopefully get some better access too

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 00:55 ----------

The photos I took are here

I remember when I was younger my mum used to take me to get some crab sticks and watch the swinging monkey in the meat place. My dad takes alot of photos of sheffield. He is really into sheffield history. I wonder if you know him or anything ?

No, i doubt it, I very rarely venture into the city centre. I do love local history and always find myself asking, what used to be here, what was it before etc. I have a fondness of industrial settings so tend to frequent the don valley