What's the best tablet to get?

iPad is the best tablet you can buy. Nothing can compete for quality and the number of dedicated apps. Any android tablet loses out majorly to the iPad app store.

That's simply not true.

PLus you can spend £100 on the appleTV and it compliments the iPad brilliantly. Problem is its the most expensive tablet too.

AppleTV is to the ipad what a whole market of DLNA players are to Android.

A good alternative is the Blackberry Playbook. It is very cheap and will soon be updated to a brand new operating system.

It's not a good alternative, the company may not even exist in a year.

Android has security issues and too many fake and poor quality apps.

Go on then, show us some evidence of these assertions.

I've never been one to see much point in tablets at all, but the missus got me a Nexus 7 for my birthday and I have to say it's completely blown me away. I've spent hours on it already, using it for magazines, newspapers, TV, games and so on. I never really saw the value in such an item before, and while I don't see it replacing my beloved desktop PC, it's definitely instantly become my go-to device for media. I think the 7" size is perfect, and the price of them is unbelievable.

I won't be having to to pick up the last, used Metro on the bus any more! :D

Bought my daughter a Samsung Note 10.1 for her birthday. It's probably about the best Android tablet going at present and a lovely piece of kit. A tablet can't completely replace a laptop any more than a laptop can replace a tablet - they're different tools for different jobs. She uses it for sketching (the Note features Wacom pressure sensitive hardware/software that enables very fine detail work) and photo manipulation. She also has a laptop for more keyboard intensive tasks like writing.

I have an old 7" Galaxy Tab, which I used to write a daily diary (and take photos, watch films, read books and play ganes) while i was working abroad a while ago. The touchscreen keyboard is definitely slower than a physical one, but it's difficult to slip a laptop in your map pocket and carry it around between jobs!