What's the best tablet to get?

The Nexus 7 is much better for a little more.This came out in April and tech has improved a lot in 6 months.

Agreed - the Nexus is faster, has a better screen and you get the latest Android release rather one which is already two versions behind.

kindle fire hd lush bit of kit , and yes your children can do there homework on them , just a few downloads and your away

The Kindle Fire is a pointless waste of money when you could buy a nexus instead, and unless you can download a full sized keyboard and a mouse then no download is going to mean you can do any serious work on it.

I would highly recommend the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. Android gives you a lot of freedom when it comes to apps as well as sharing files over bluetooth with other devices - something that i-Devices don't. The same goes for playing music and video files. Android lets you watch/listen to videos/music without the hassle of converting formats. The Tab-2 can also be used as a e-book reader by downloading the Kindle app, or any other app that does the same thing.

I'd say nexus. They seem friendly to a wide range of users. my girlfriend got one and got on with it really well with no technical knowledge. android also generally suits more advanced users quite well.

Aha - thank you all - I'm very new to the tablet world, like you have all pointed out - not really a homework tool - but she's got a laptop for that. Now to decide which one - it's all very confusing!

I would say if she has a laptop then just stick to that. In my experience and many of my mates who have tablets, they are brilliant until you realise that a laptop is better.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 which imo is the best tablet out there for being allowed to do what you want with it. The battery life is great, the apps and games are great, you can do pretty much everything you want with them, write, game, surf the net, chat to people.

The problem for me is that you just cant do everything you want with them well. For example, writing anything over 100 words can be tedious, you cannot transfer files easily between different platforms, browsing the internet can get annoying with many websites as they are not tablet friendly. I just ended up back on my laptop, its faster, easier to use, is more user friendly.

Thats my theory on tablets anyway, they are like the Wii, brilliant for christmas day but sit on the shelf collecting dust.

and on another note, the storage space just isnt enough to replace a laptop, the Tab 2 has 16GB and if i was to just put my music collection on there it would be full streight away.

Edited by tallanddopey

If your into android then the transformer prime T700 would be my choice.

John

I'm tempted by these sub-£50 Chinese tablets based on the All Winner A13 chip. They're not going to beat a Samsung or a Nexus & no doubt they'll have problems, but they look tempting for that price. I can't really justify spending £200 or more on a toy, but under £50 is tempting.

Edited by anywebsite

iPad is the best tablet you can buy. Nothing can compete for quality and the number of dedicated apps. Any android tablet loses out majorly to the iPad app store. PLus you can spend £100 on the appleTV and it compliments the iPad brilliantly. Problem is its the most expensive tablet too.

A good alternative is the Blackberry Playbook. It is very cheap and will soon be updated to a brand new operating system.

Android has security issues and too many fake and poor quality apps.

iPad is the best tablet you can buy. Nothing can compete for quality and the number of dedicated apps. Any android tablet loses out majorly to the iPad app store. PLus you can spend £100 on the appleTV and it compliments the iPad brilliantly. Problem is its the most expensive tablet too.

A good alternative is the Blackberry Playbook. It is very cheap and will soon be updated to a brand new operating system.

Android has security issues and too many fake and poor quality apps.

Roughly translated as "I have an iPad - I will now justify the spend to my self with some made up crap disguised as advice"

You're allowed to like ipads - you don't have to make stuff up

... poor quality apps.

Like they don't exist in the itunes app store... I dunno how many fart sound boards are classed a quality but the itunes store is overflowing with crap like that too..

Though I will admit, at present the itunes store is more evolved than Google Play for tablet apps, but that's because they got in the game first. I think Google has signalled it's intentions with the likes of the Nexus 7 & 10, and will push hard to get the whole android tablet ecosystem better supported.

I dont have an iPad. I used to use one at work for remote access to the network. I actually have a Nexus 7 and im not too fussed with it. After playing on friends different tablets I form an opinion. The iPad has a lot of custom apps made just for it that you cant get on the iPhone. This makes it a far better tablet experience than any other.

The reason a lot of the apps are poor quality on android is nothing to do with the quality of the app experience (although looser controls means more junk gets through), it is to do with the fact there are hundreds of different possible hardware configurations that app developers have to plan for. With apple there is about 10.

Any app developer will tell you android is a pain in the ass to develop for. Thats why apps usually come out first on the iOS. Its just simpler to do.

Anyway this thread was about giving tablet advice, not about arguing with each other. We can start a new thread for that.