What's the best tablet to get?

Good question - social networking, games, research, Skype, homework, music, films - the usual stuff 13yr olds are 'in to' I suppose.

When she works on her laptop - she transfers work - data via memory pen, how would she do this on ipad?

Either by

- connecting to the laptop and transferring via iTunes

- emailing the file to herself

- using one of the WIFI transfer apps you can get from the App store

- using an online service like Dropbox

I prefer Dropbox - I use it to transfer between laptop, iPad and Android all the time.

All I'm saying is don't let the idea of no usb put you off - tablets are meant to be used wirelessly, not with cables and memory sticks

Neither have a usb port that you can plug a usb stick into without an adaptor do they?

It's a simple small £1 adapter. The Galaxy tab also has a microSD slot.

Good question - social networking, games, research, Skype, homework, music, films - the usual stuff 13yr olds are 'in to' I suppose.

When she works on her laptop - she transfers work - data via memory pen, how would she do this on ipad?

You can't do any proper work on a tablet. They aren't like a laptop. They're for media consumption, watching videos, light web browsing, simple games is about all they're good for. She wont be getting any homework done on it, or be able to produce anything worth saving or transferring off the device.

No doubt someone will be along to say they bought an extra keyboard & a stand, now they can type quite happily, but really, why not just buy a laptop?

Edited by anywebsite

It's a simple small £1 adapter. The Galaxy tab also has a microSD slot.

Of course, I'd still use Dropbox though - besides, as you say, she won't be 'working' on the tablet, so its not really a problem anyway.

Aha - thank you all - I'm very new to the tablet world, like you have all pointed out - not really a homework tool - but she's got a laptop for that. Now to decide which one - it's all very confusing!

Of course, I'd still use Dropbox though - besides, as you say, she won't be 'working' on the tablet, so its not really a problem anyway.

MicroSD cards are quite useful, but it's hard to create anything worth saving on a tablet anyway. If you want usb ports, a keyboard, etc then a laptop is probably a better option.

Aha - thank you all - I'm very new to the tablet world, like you have all pointed out - not really a homework tool - but she's got a laptop for that. Now to decide which one - it's all very confusing!

I'd recommend this if you want an Android one

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/ASUS_NEXUS_7_WIFI_16GB/HANDSET?portal=GLSHOP&promo=GLSHOP

Cheaper than the iPad, more powerful than the Samsung, and with the added advantage of being 'pure' Android - this means it will always get the latest Android updates direct from Google as soon as they are available.

For example, the Tab 2 is shipped with Android 4.0 - this is already 2 Major Android releases behind (4.1 and 4.2). Each release brings security, performance and usability features that may never come to the Tab 2 - this means you could still be stuck with 2011 software on it for some time yet.

The iPad option gives you a wider range of tablet specific apps, and more often than not apps go iPad first before eventually making their way to Android. Things like Wonders of The Universe, Elements or Planets have never made it to Android for example. You might also find that iPad apps have more features than Android equivalents - the iPlayer app for example allows you to store programmes to watch offline on iPad, but not on Android. As is often the case there is a vague promise that this will 'come soon'. The downside is of course the price - £100 more for a mini, more again for iPad 2 then even more for the top of the range. One tip though is to buy a refurbished model direct from Apple - they come complete with new outer casing, new battery, fully tested and guaranteed for 12 months like a brand new iPad - you can usually save a good chunk of cash this way.

For example a 3rd Gen iPad for less than an iPad 2

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC705/refurbished-ipad-with-wi-fi-16gb-black-3rd-generation

If she has a laptop then why does she need a tablet?

Some of those things she definitely won't do on a tablet, homework, or any kind of work is basically impossible, tablets are for consuming, not producing.

You can't do any proper work on a tablet. They aren't like a laptop. They're for media consumption, watching videos, light web browsing, simple games is about all they're good for. She wont be getting any homework done on it, or be able to produce anything worth saving or transferring off the device.

No doubt someone will be along to say they bought an extra keyboard & a stand, now they can type quite happily, but really, why not just buy a laptop?

You can, you can do full document creation, editing and manipulating etc, and honestly, I prefer it on a tablet.... even without a keyboard...

You can in theory, but if you have more than about 20 words to write then you're going to be really frustrated by the time you're done.

And if you have to do any editing, cut and paste for example, it takes about 10 times as long as with a mouse and keyboard.

I have just been looking at this http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-galaxy-tab-2-7-tablet-8-gb-14272574-pdt.html#longDesc, doesn't seem bad for £119 anybody have any thoughts on it?

The Nexus 7 is much better for a little more.This came out in April and tech has improved a lot in 6 months.