Sign in to follow this  

Jewish Cemetery, Rivelin

Hugh, Thanks for the information, i will send a donation.

The names of my wifes parents are JACK LOY & IVY LOY, [snip]

Thanks :) I have made a note of that grave in our records. If you are ever interested there are LOYs in several other graves in the cemetery.

Hugh

If I can remember correctly I believe there was an old Jew graveyard at the rear of Charter Row somewhere behind Pinders.

It was only small and had railings around it.

Maybe it has disappeared with all the new development taking place in that area.

If anyone knows the right address I would be obliged.

Happy Days

Hi Pop T, I do not know the exact address but i worked for the Estate Surveyors dep at one time and this land where the cemetry was, was in their charge, i once went there to inspect some damage.

I know who has details of the cemetry on the bottom Rd at Rivelin but think this one is catholic.

hazel

It is Cathlic, its called St Micheals cemetery over looking Rivelin Valley Rd.

I did a thread last week on this cemetery.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=98018&highlight=micheals+cemetery

Hi Pop T, I do not know the exact address but i worked for the Estate Surveyors dep at one time and this land where the cemetry was, was in their charge, i once went there to inspect some damage.

We used to look into this small Jewish burial plot, which was surrounded by a high wall, from the 4th floor rear window of Eldon House which is on the corner of Rockingham Lane and Charter Row.

On 20/01/2006 at 11:53, Bushbaby said:

There is also a Jewish cemetry at the Ecclesfield end of Colley Rd in Parson Cross. It is well looked after and seems to date back to about 1912.

There was a Synagogue too when I was a kid but this is no longer there

I remember that cemetery from when I lived on Parson Cross in the late 40's & early 50's. We kids irreverently used to say they buried Jews standing up! Shocking.