George Turton Platts

Still there now one of Firth Rixon sites my first job was there in 1959 worked in the time and motion office.Mr Wood got me the job.the main entrance was a very impressive sight and also the reception area.

I worked there in the 70s and remember a strike that lasted about 6-8 weeks. Left and got a job at Hepworth as a fitter welder.. Came from Thrybourgh.

I worked at GTP from 1976-1991 firstly in the Heat Treatment department then in the 80s moved to the forge as a tool fitter. I took part in the strike which lasted about six weeks as near as I remember it was about 1978/9 I remember picketing other local firms in our group.

Pete

I remember three other things that happened the year of the strike

A chap was killed when a bolt sheared on the Catapiller head forme it hit him.

A chap died in the machine shop raking turnings away and he touched a electricity contact on a Herbert.

A large spring shattered on the scragging test.

Yes I recall the chap who was hit and killed, I worked at Meadowhall Road and I think that incident occurred at the other site in Sheffield. I still get regular updates about pension rights. Not been anywhere near the old place since 1991 my dad and my older brother also worked at GTP.

I work at a forge in Sheffield a few of them worked at rixons was that gtp ?

Was in engineering shop late 70s happy days  worked hard played hard  Tony glossep  shop steward then  mad times  any body remember

On 29/04/2019 at 14:07, Andy tate said:

Was in engineering shop late 70s happy days  worked hard played hard  Tony glossep  shop steward then  mad times  any body remember

I know someone who worked there he was a turner or machinist called Frank.

My Dad worked here in the 70s.

Edited by Jayne Pearson

Hi, My names Angie, did anyone work at George Turton Platts in the 70's? I worked with Eileen Barlow/Potts and Jack Simmons in Personnel, a little wooden shed  was the office in the yard. I was there from around 1971 to 1978. It would be nice to catch up with other's who worked there. I knew alot in both the factories and the office's. I was a friend of Jenny who worked on the switch board which I also used to work on sometimes.

My cousin worked in the office, started as a draughtsman from college I think.  Michael Howson (Mick)