Giant excavated in Greece - Goliath?

What is a giant?

From what I can gather the estimates for Goliath's height range from between 6'6 to 9'9.

Although the latter is probably not impossible it seems a little unlikely, although many people think that the reactions of the Israelites mean that one of the most widely accepted heights (6'9) for Goliath is a little extreme.

Believe me at 5'8 and being an ex fighter myself it is not extreme in the least to want to run in fear when confronted with someone who is 6'9!

It doesn't strike me as strange at all that skeletons of people in the past have been found that are seven or even eight feet tall, it does strike me as strange that when one is found we automatically assume it is Goliath.

In medical terminology a 'giant' is someone who is more than 2 standard deviations away from the mean height for their gender in the population in which they live, so therefore I'm medically a giant because in our population women of 6'3" or taller and men of 6'6" or taller qualify for that label.

However, the giants of folklore, biblical texts and fairy tales usually refer to someone who is a huge amount taller than that and that's where there's a big problem. Human bones and joints don't appear to do so well when you make them a lot longer and put them under a lot more stress, and the human heart does even worse.

Most people of 7' or taller either have serious heart problems from an early age or use a wheelchair most of the time because their joints and long bones can't cope with the extra stresses caused by the height and extra loading forces.

If you look at the images which come along with the folklore, fairy tales or biblical stories you'll find what is effectively a standard person scaled up (i.e. looking proportionate as a human) which means that someone of 7'6" is likely to weigh a minimum of 30 stone even if they're thin (an if you look at the maths for relative volumes they may be even heavier), and to support that weight and the stresses that come about through moving on bones that long their femur, tibia and fibula would have to be fundamentally different in shape and make up compared to 'normal' human bone.

You can't simply take a human skeleton and scale it up because at not very much bigger than we are currently the bones become too weak to support the their own weight, let alone the extra weight of muscle that would be needed to move the body mass around. And that's before you've even considered the extra weight on the joints or how the heart would function.

Most very tall people are very different in proportion to shorter people, and people affected by gigantism as a disease (generally caused by pituitary tumours) have very much longer long bones proportionally than a shorter person, with the spine and torso affected much less.

I'm not affected by gigantism or any other sort of disease BTW- I'm just a very tall product of two very tall people from very tall families having babies. I'm normal height for my family and none of either side of our families has pituitary tumours, Marfan syndrome or other bizarre abnormalities causing our height. We're just naturally at the very tall end of the bell curve of height distribution.

In medical terminology a 'giant' is someone who is more than 2 standard deviations away from the mean height for their gender in the population in which they live, so therefore I'm medically a giant because in our population women of 6'3" or taller and men of 6'6" or taller qualify for that label.

However, the giants of folklore, biblical texts and fairy tales usually refer to someone who is a huge amount taller than that and that's where there's a big problem. Human bones and joints don't appear to do so well when you make them a lot longer and put them under a lot more stress, and the human heart does even worse.

Most people of 7' or taller either have serious heart problems from an early age or use a wheelchair most of the time because their joints and long bones can't cope with the extra stresses caused by the height and extra loading forces.

If you look at the images which come along with the folklore, fairy tales or biblical stories you'll find what is effectively a standard person scaled up (i.e. looking proportionate as a human) which means that someone of 7'6" is likely to weigh a minimum of 30 stone even if they're thin (an if you look at the maths for relative volumes they may be even heavier), and to support that weight and the stresses that come about through moving on bones that long their femur, tibia and fibula would have to be fundamentally different in shape and make up compared to 'normal' human bone.

You can't simply take a human skeleton and scale it up because at not very much bigger than we are currently the bones become too weak to support the their own weight, let alone the extra weight of muscle that would be needed to move the body mass around. And that's before you've even considered the extra weight on the joints or how the heart would function.

Most very tall people are very different in proportion to shorter people, and people affected by gigantism as a disease (generally caused by pituitary tumours) have very much longer long bones proportionally than a shorter person, with the spine and torso affected much less.

I'm not affected by gigantism or any other sort of disease BTW- I'm just a very tall product of two very tall people from very tall families having babies. I'm normal height for my family and none of either side of our families has pituitary tumours, Marfan syndrome or other bizarre abnormalities causing our height. We're just naturally at the very tall end of the bell curve of height distribution.

Thankyou for that Medusa, a genuinely informative and interesting piece of reading.

:)

Its a hoax!

Shame. It would have been the only thing in the Bible to be true.

Genesis 6:4

King James Version (KJV)

4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

of course genesis :)

BORING:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I'd much rather believe that it's some kind of alien giant thing from a race of people that will come back and save us.And help me win the lottery if they've got any time spare.

I saw the preserved body of a giant in a travelling sideshow a few years back. He also had two heads. The show also had an elephant man, complete with tusks and trunk and a Siberian Salmon, very hairy.