Snake Pass/Woodhead Pass open? MEGATHREAD

Er, no! That would be insane.

Like I said, the A623. Take the A57 as far as Ladybower - it's definitely open that far. Then left over the bridge to Bamford. Once in Bamford, turn right towards Castleton but then take a left around a mile later. It's signposted the A623 and Chapel-en-le-Frith.

Once on the A623, follow it through Peak Forest, Sparrowpit etc, to the south end of Manchester.

That's a pretty reliable route in the snow. It's the one I use if Winnats and rushup edge road is closed.

There has only been a couple of days this year where Winnats has been tricky but it was passable even then. The A623 is often the safer route though.

Is the Snake Pass open or closed today?

Thanks.

Just seen this, sorry.

I've been over it in both directions today & it's fine apart from snow in the gutters on some bends and the usual 30 mile an hour sightseers.

According to the RAC they are, but that was a report from this morning, has anyone got more up to date information?

How about via castleton, in theory that's a worse route in the snow, although a bit lower down, the RAC doesn't say it's closed though.

The Radio said they were still closed about an hour ago.

BBC traffic news says still closed and it was updated 4 mins ago

The AA doesn't say they're closed, but the BBC does, so on balance I'll have to assume they really are closed. In which case the M62 is probably the best way to go :-(

Mother in law said M62 was shut, and that's usually last to close, so it wouldn't surprise me if both the snake and woodhead were shut

You could check if it's possible to do it by train if you're that desperate

The AA doesn't say they're closed, but the BBC does, so on balance I'll have to assume they really are closed. In which case the M62 is probably the best way to go :-(

I shall watch the AA then so that I can get to the airport.:hihi:

Well, that was exciting. The RAC and BBC removed the warning about the snake (after my Dad had told me that the wood head was open according to the radio).

So we set off planning to take the snake.

The police sign was still up saying it was closed, so I diverted towards castleton and winets pass.

Follow a taxi up there, thought it was going to be easy as there was no snow on the ground in the valley, he was going rather annoyingly snow as we started up the pass, forcing me into 2nd gear when I'd rather have been in 3rd and going a little faster.

Anyway, got about half way up, taxi managed to get about 3/4rs. He reversed back down and stopped to tell me it was impassable.

I put the snow socks on, and drove up the rest of the way and then through to stockport. 1st time we've used them since buying them about 18 months ago.

Woodhead is open,my in laws have come across it from Glossop today.