Starbucks boycott gaining momentum!

But they are clearly making a profit here. Why else would they have such a huge number of outlets if they were losing money?

The chat with the taxman is a direct result of bad press and damage to the brand.

Good.

Bad press = chat with taxman but I don't think a mass boycott of Starbucks or Amazon is actually taking place.

Don't edit it, I'll look like an eejit !!!!

Okay, I'll put it back.

Bad press = chat with taxman but I don't think a mass boycott of Starbucks or Amazon is actually taking place.

You don't need a mass boycott. Just enough to make an impact.

Sales are down 2.3% while this stuff is in the news is enough.

Hence they are now parlaying.

Consumers have more power than they realise.

I assume you or non of your family members work at Starbucks.

Angel.

Where one coffee shop closes another can open

What are these talks between Starbucks and HMRC about?

The amount a company must pay is set out.

Starbucks can either play 'straight' and pay the same rate as everyone else, or not.

What are they discussing it with HMRC for?

Where one coffee shop closes another can open

Without the economies of scale though it might not be as successful as Starbucks and hence might not be viable...

Of course if a small independant does open, and charge more by offering a better product then that's good. The buying power and economies of a chain though are somewhat of a two edged sword however...

I don't understand all the different types of coffee these days. I am used to a choice of either instant or freshly filtered. All the others are a mystery to me and I get looked at like an alien if I don't understand what they all are. I honestly don't know what a latte tastes like.... So for this reason I never go in... If only when I ask for a coffee someone would give me a Nescafe...

Seems like a result - a few folks deserve a pat on the back - well done if you're one of them.:clap:

Starbucks has said it will pay "somewhere in the range of £10 million" in UK corporation tax for each of the next two years.

The US coffee firm - valued at £25 billion - has generated more than £3 billion of sales in the UK since 1998 but it emerged in October it has paid less than 1% in corporation tax.

Starbucks has reportedly paid just £8.6 million in corporation tax in the UK in the last 14 years. The revelations prompted widespread anger amongst customers, with many threatening to buy their hot drinks elsewhere.

Starbucks has said they will pay somewhere in the range of £10m each year

Starbucks UK managing director Kris Engskov told the London Chamber of Commerce that changes to its tax arrangements will see the firm pay above what is required by law.

Mr Engskov said: "With the backdrop of these difficult times, in the area of tax, our customers clearly expect us to do more."

The Sunday Times reported earlier this week that the coffee giant was preparing to pay more into Britain's coffers following a customer boycott, in what was hailed by many as signalling 'people power.'

Its nearest UK rival, Costa, owned by Whitbread, recorded £377 million sales last year, compared to Starbucks' £398 million, but its tax bill came to £15 million, or 31% of its profits.

A four-month investigation by news agency Reuters discovered that Starbucks was able to cut income tax by paying fees to other parts of its global business, such as royalty payments for use of the brand.

This means Starbucks UK is effectively making a loss and therefore does not have to pay any corporation tax. As a result, it has not broken any law.

The most recent results, posted for 2011, show Starbucks UK recorded a loss of £33 million.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/12/06/starbucks-10m-corporation-tax-coffee-_n_2249551.html

Some limited progress at least. However by being able to say how much tax they are going to pay for the next few years, before they know trading environment, commodity costs, competitive pressures etc they are clearly dodging vastly more than the £10 million they are volunteering to chuck in the pot, unless they own a crystal ball that is.

Remind me: why's it now seemingly unlawful to make one's own cup of tea/coffee at home or work?

Remind me: why's it now seemingly unlawful to make one's own cup of tea/coffee at home or work?

No doubt the Richard Littlejohns and Simon Heffers of this world will blame over zealous Health and Safety laws.

But all credit to pressure groups like UK Uncut who campaigned on these issues, mostly in the face of ridicule by people such as those on here who mock their efforts.