Badminton Rackets

Alright guys, sorry to intrude on your Badminton group, but thought this would be good a place as any to ask.

I finally broke my Yonex graphite racket the other week, poor thing has limped along for a few years, my back-up is probably 30 years old and feels like I'm chucking a lead weigh around.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations of manufacturers/places to buy rackets (online and in Sheffield). I play at an alright social level, so not looking for something that a pro needs, but something above the standard of beginners/messing about in the back garden.

Any tips would be appreciated. :)

Forgot to say, my budget is between 30-50 quid

i've just done a fair bit of looking around - i too have just lost my racket in a terrible accident!

been using the same one for 10 years, i've got a good backup, but i fancied a new one anyway!...

i've always used carlton rackets, so thought i'd start there!

i also wanted a similar replacement - the one that 'died,' a carlton aerogear 1000fx, was really light in the head and had a wippy shaft - good for defending in doubles as its a really quick racket.

i'd like to say i've got a decent technique, so generating power with a light head isn't a problem for me.

seems singles players prefer a stiff shaft and a heavier head.

after doing some reading, i went for the carlton vapour trail storm - bought for 30 quid from sportsdirect.com

i did go to sports direct in meadowhall and try a carlton ignite rapid, asked them to take the paper off the stings and had a feel as it was head light with a flexy shaft, felt nice and was really cheep at £20, i'm tempted to go back and pick on up - though i may even get a 2nd VT storm if i like it a lot!

i'd say depending on your play style and what you prefer, depends on the racket you'll like!

what i can say for the carlton stuff - the stats for the rackets are clearly layed out so it's easy to compare models.

decathlon also do a decent returns poloicy too i believe - so you could get one, try it and return it if you dont like it!

Edit: sports direct seem to have some great deals on the moment!

Edited by mr_william

so i did infact go back to sports direct to pick up the 'carlton ignite rapid'... they'd unfortunately sold it.

i did however notice an 'ignite speed' which i hadn't seen on the previous visit, priced the same at £20.

i've used it a few times... the first time i felt the string tension was a bit high for such a light racket, though i wasn't playing back to back games.

since then i've used it a few more times and really like it! it is crazy light, and as a result, fast. i do think if your techniques not quite right with this one, you may struggle to generate any decent power, though i've always got by with power. it does feel like a lot of racket for the money!

i also got an email from sports direct, unfortunately the vapour trail's out of stock... so they cancelled my order on that...

Edited by mr_william

Just to say thanks for your advice - I went for the Carlton Ignite Speed at the start of December - got it at the same price as yourself from the same retailer by coincidence!

For 20 quid it is a bargain I reckon, been playing with it for 2 months and for the standard I play at (ie. not great) its fine. As you said its light, feels well balanced and I can generate a fair bit of power on lifts and smashes and stuff with it so am happy with it.

Cheers for the tips anyway!