Taxi to station at 3am?

Quote - im picking up at 03.30 to go to manchester airport i can pick you up and drop you off at sheff station sgs travel 07968950051

I can 100% vouch for this service, we had this company to take and collect us from Manchester this year, also helped me with an emergency pick up from Birmingham a few weeks ago. Excellent customer service :)

Denise

Why not go to the airport the previous evening, and hang around there?

This is what I would do. If you're up at 3am you've not had a great deal of sleep anyway. Why not get your head down for a bit early on Friday and take an evening train over. There's no rush and and no panic if there's any delays then. You could always get your head down at the airport while you're waiting.

I often get a taxi home at about 3 AM on a Sunday morning. The taxi usually arrives in under 10 minutes, without pre-booking.

This is what I would do. If you're up at 3am you've not had a great deal of sleep anyway. Why not get your head down for a bit early on Friday and take an evening train over. There's no rush and and no panic if there's any delays then. You could always get your head down at the airport while you're waiting.

We do this regularly and stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. Its not expensive and they will take you across to the departures hall in their minibus at any time.

Thanks for the replies. It's a business trip (except I am representing a charity rather than a company) so although I can claim expenses there is a strict limit on what I can claim. Most of my colleagues are flying the day before and paying for an extra night in the hotel but unfortunately I just can't afford to pay for that myself so that rules out the option of staying at a hotel at Manchester Airport too or getting a taxi direct to the airport.

Going to the airport on the last train on Friday evening is a possibility but I would arrive about 5 hours before my flight and I am not sure if I would be able to check in that early. On my last trip to Manchester Airport when I arrived at the terminal from the train station (unfortunately I can't remember which terminal) I was quite surprised to find nothing else in the check in area except the check in desks. There were no seats and no shops at all. There were plenty after checking in and going through security but none before. If I couldn't check in for two or three hours it would be a long wait sitting on the floor!

Going to the airport on the last train on Friday evening is a possibility but I would arrive about 5 hours before my flight and I am not sure if I would be able to check in that early. On my last trip to Manchester Airport when I arrived at the terminal from the train station (unfortunately I can't remember which terminal) I was quite surprised to find nothing else in the check in area except the check in desks. There were no seats and no shops at all. There were plenty after checking in and going through security but none before. If I couldn't check in for two or three hours it would be a long wait sitting on the floor!

Check-in will be 2-3 hours before departure time so you won't have long to wait. I've spent a few nights in departures at Manchester and there are seats but it gets a bit cold. The cafe shut at about midnight and there was nothing else open assuming it's the same terminal. I think at worst you'd have 2-3 hours on a metal seat.

Go over to the arrivals hall, there is an all night cafe there.

I book taxi's to work for 3:45am on a regular basis and both Mercury and City have always been reliable. I found City slightly cheaper, and they text you when their on their way AND then give you callback when they get there.