Average hourly rate for plumber

Yesterday my sister had a plumber do a small job in the kitchen. There was actually 2 plumbers - a man and his son in law. The cost of the materials was £40. The plumbers also changed a washer on the bathroom tap. They charged her £160. I think this was far too expensive. What do others think.

how long is your piece of string? how long on site, where are you based, what was the job? £120 labour is way less than a days work for a pair of people quite easily.

It took a little over an hour to fit a new stopcock and change a washer on a bathroom tap. She lives in Sheffield 10.

what about fuel and travel time? vat? tax? £120 is cheap

Its not a two man job but she could have requested a price before engaging these men.Always get several quotes.

Don't think there was much fuel or travelling time for them as they only live down the road from her - one of her reasons for choosing them.

They probably charged a rather steep call out price too, not just an hourly rate

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Did they come out first then have to go fetch the materials once they'd seen what was needed?

No - it sounded like they fitted my sisters job in between another one.

Why dont you get all the facts and time taken before giving those hard honest people a hard time:huh:

Get in touch with trading standards and make them aware of these two cowboys, sadly your sister wont be able to retrieve her money, but you will be helping future victims. good luck.:thumbsup:

Why dont you get all the facts and time taken before giving those hard honest people a hard time:huh:

The lady was ripped off.

The sad thing is that it is working people ripping off people who can not afford it.