Private Parking Charge Notices [PCN] - Megathread - ALL questions in here

Thought so as only they use that term.

The is a user on mse who uses the name sodg24. !

Very easy to ignore:)

Do we really need a dedicated thread for this?

A quick search will answer all questions.

There's been a thread about these parking charges every week for as long as I can remember.

And they all say the same thing.... DON'T PAY IT

Its not enforceable, its not a fine, they need a court order to recover goods and enter your home, do not let a bailiff into your house...............

If you go to dedicated sites you will find no-one reads the existing threads (they all say the same - ignore) they all believe their case is different (unfortunately!)

I think we could try this and see what happens.

Do we really need a dedicated thread for this?

Exactly, you'd have thought it was common knowledge by now:

1) If its a private car park then read the signs before you park.

2) If you follow the rules on the signs you'll park without issue.

3) If you don't agree with the rules, find somewhere else.

4) If you choose to ignore the rules then expect demands for payment and all the hassle associated with it.

Statement from Nick Smith MP for Blaenau Gwent on the BPA/Parking Industry

For Immediate Release

7th November 2012

Motorists are the seam that keeps on giving

Private Car Park Operators set out to fleece motorists

Nick Smith, MP for Blaenau Gwent, has today launched a broadside against private car park operators who keep on mining motorists through BPA (British Parking Association) backed sharp practice.

Nick Smith MP says the business model of some operators is based on motorists ‘making mistakes’ so they can be fleeced for an alleged breach of car park ‘rules’. and should be roundly condemned.

Nick Smith MP, was bombarded with complaints from shoppers, local traders and taxi drivers unfairly hit by hefty penalty charges, when the management of The Walk car park in Ebbw Vale was taken on by Excel Parking in the Autumn of 2011.

Nick Smith MP has raised this issue in the debate on the Future of our town centres and high streets following the publication of the Portas report in December 2011, at Leader of the House Questions on several occasions. In September 2012 he introduced a Private Member’s Bill to improve signage and ticketing technology in car parks.

Nick Smith MP said: “The British Parking Association (BPA), a trade association, tells me its members have ‘declined to provide information about their business models’.* There is a veil of secrecy here that needs to be lifted.”

“One business model gives the car park owner the income from the regular hourly parking charge: but the operators scoop the income from parking charge notices (PCNs) issued. So the more the motorist gets it wrong, the bigger the profit for the operator.”

“But the BPA say their Approved Operator Scheme, is ‘designed to ensure that the motorist is not unfairly or unduly penalised as a result of these (profit) motives.’*

“This is claptrap as shown by recent DVLA figures which throw the spotlight on car park operators’ business practices – they’re clearly out to fox and fleece the motorist.

“In the last twelve months (from Oct 2011 to Oct 2012) requests for vehicle registration data by private car park operators rose to a staggering 1,774,712 up from 1,086,192 (Oct 2009 to Oct 2010) in just two years.+ An astounding rise of 63%.

“These figures show that some private car park operators are deliberately aiming to trip up motorists – then their mistake is punished. They’re issued with a hefty parking charge notice.

“No wonder motorists are fed up with being a soft target. Elderly constituents have told me of the distress these practices have caused them. They have paid the right amount to park (as indeed they should), but say made an error when tapping in their vehicle registration.

“So they fall foul of car park ‘rules’ and an hour’s shopping for 30p turns into a punishing £60 parking charge notice (which rises if not paid promptly).

“I’m pleased that two of my constituents have asked trading standards, the OFT and the Old People’s Commissioner for Wales to investigate these trading practices.

“Last month the DVLA called time temporarily on car park operators, who blatantly breached the BPA’s Code of Practice. Their access to the DVLA database is suspended for three months. (See Notes to Editors for details)

“These suspended operators are all members of the BPA. They are supposed to honour the BPA’s Code of Practice – and the BPA should be making sure they do. Yet it’s been left to the DVLA to suspend these companies.”

“I’ve repeatedly pressed Ministers for proper regulation of the private car parking industry. But they’ve put their faith in the BPA. This faith is yet again misplaced and the motorist is the loser.”

“It shouldn’t be the DVLA’s job to police the parking industry. We need proper independent regulation which puts the consumer interest first.

“ So I’ve written again to the Minister, Norman Baker, to ask the government to investigate the circumstances of these suspensions and the implications for the issue of parking charge notices prior to suspension.

“As it appears that the signs and PCNs to which the DVLA is now objecting were the same ones in place when the DVLA was allowing access to its electronic database – was this access unlawful?”

Exactly, you'd have thought it was common knowledge by now:

1) If its a private car park then read the signs before you park.

2) If you follow the rules on the signs you'll park without issue.

3) If you don't agree with the rules, find somewhere else.

4) If you choose to ignore the rules then expect demands for payment and all the hassle associated with it.

And if for some reason they tell you the rules have been broken and you find a piece of hamster bedding attached to your windscreen from a private parking operator simply ignore it. You forgot to mention that bit.

Because private companies cannot issue fines.

Nick Smith MP said: “The British Parking Association (BPA), a trade association, tells me its members have ‘declined to provide information about their business models’.* There is a veil of secrecy here that needs to be lifted.”

He's campaigning for better signing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19637847

But what's the point when people like you tell everyone to ignore the signs, rules and inevitable letters?

He's campaigning for better signing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19637847

But what's the point when people like you tell everyone to ignore the signs, rules and inevitable letters?

Not at all and I have said many times: (all of which you either choose to forget or ignore or have difficulty reading or a mixture of all three)

I believe the rules should be obeyed.

I believe parking on private land should be paid for.

I believe there are alternatives to the way most private parking companies operate which is designed to maximise income from so called "fines". There are better ways of controlling parking. Clearly Nick Smith agrees with that.

But I also believe:

so-called "fines" should be ignored because private parking companies cannot fine people and therefore their threats are not worth the paper they are written on.

Is a PPC invoice deductable against income for a business.....

I guess so, it's an invoice like any other.

I can't see why more car parks have controls like the one at the station.

and if they are free customer car parks then where do they get these ridiculous fine figures from?