O.K. then what or who is God?

But you did say, "I would like to be assured of eternal life after death."

Was that a mistake, or have you now changed your mind?

(Co-incidence; I had lunch with my mum and sis yesterday. My mum brought a postcard from my aunt and uncle from Noosa, Queensland. Spooky!)

Well, I guess as I am the result of a long chain of evolution rather than CREATION, I won't have to worry about the boring eternity.

After "I" die, the "I" will no longer exist; I shall survive in my friends' memories, maybe.

But there is no "ba" or "ka", no "lemur", no ghost, no immortal soul.

It's been 75 good years, I'll be sorry to go, but go I will have to.

Then "I" will just no longer "be"

(Co-incidence; I had lunch with my mum and sis yesterday. My mum brought a postcard from my aunt and uncle from Noosa, Queensland. Spooky!)

It never fails to surprise me how you can be so certain you know it all.

Speaking of co-incidences,i've had many events that have happened in my life that couldn't possibly have happened just by chance.

Has it ever occurred to you that eternity may not be a reference to time as we know it.

Edited by janie48

Speaking of co-incidences,i've had many events that have happened in my life that couldn't possibly have happened just by chance.

Why couldn't they possibly have happened by chance?

I know they didn't.:)

I know they didn't.:)

But how does that make it impossible? Or was that just a poor choice of words

But how does that make it impossible? Or was that just a poor choice of words

All i'm saying is the mystery of life and the unfathomable can't be explained.

Where did you get the idea that I am certain that I know 'it' all? Please show where I said or implied that. It's usually a trait of theists to consider they know it all. I am not one of those.

"Science doesn't know everything. If it did, it would stop."

Nothing ever happens by chance. In the above example, my aunt and her husband are visiting some of her relatives who have moved to Australia. Whilst there, they posted a postcard to my mum. We usually have a get together Saturday lunchtimes. She brought the postcard to show us. It was from somewhere called Noosa, which I had never heard of before. The next day, someone with their location shown as Noosa posted in a thread in which I am participating.

Coincidence? Yes. Chance? No.

Has it ever occurred to you that eternity may not be a reference to time as we know it.

No. What else could it possibly refer to?

---------- Post added 02-12-2012 at 14:26 ----------

Then you have no explanation for them, either.

If you are going to suggest that a god 'explains' them, you are in effect saying that they can't be explained but they can be explained.:loopy:

Where did you get the idea that I am certain that I know 'it' all? Please show where I said or implied that. It's usually a trait of theists to consider they know it all. I am not one of those.

"Science doesn't know everything. If it did, it would stop."

Nothing ever happens by chance. In the above example, my aunt and her husband are visiting some of her relatives who have moved to Australia. Whilst there, they posted a postcard to my mum. We usually have a get together Saturday lunchtimes. She brought the postcard to show us. It was from somewhere called Noosa, which I had never heard of before. The next day, someone with their location shown as Noosa posted in a thread in which I am participating.

Coincidence? Yes. Chance? No.

No. What else could it possibly refer to?

---------- Post added 02-12-2012 at 14:26 ----------

Then you have no explanation for them, either.

If you are going to suggest that a god 'explains' them, you are in effect saying that they can't be explained but they can be explained.:loopy:

Okay then forget what i said about you thinking you know everything,i must have got the wrong impression from one or two of your previous comments.:huh:

I have never implied that i have an explanation for everything how could i when i believe God has left much unexplained,so humans will continue to keep on questioning.

This link doesn't explain too much about time and eternity either,but i'm satisfied with it.

http://mind.oxfordjournals.org/content/XVIII/1/343.extract

Takes a hell of a lot of faith to believe in chance..

No you didn't, you said that some events that happened to you couldn't possibly be by chance, which is quite different to what you are saying now

---------- Post added 02-12-2012 at 17:48 ----------

Takes a hell of a lot of faith to believe in chance..

That sounds like something a theist would say :rolleyes:

I think he might have been suggesting it would be nice if it were true but he knows it's not. Maybe.

I think he might have been suggesting it would be nice if it were true but he knows it's not. Maybe.

I know. (...because he also said, "Sadly, the fact that I would like all these things doesn't mean that I'm going to get them!")

What I am asking is if he has changed his mind in view of contemplating the implications...

Have you thought that through? Eternity is not 'a very long time'. It's eeettteeerrrnnniiitttyyy.

Do you ever get fed up of doing anything? After doing everything 6 billion times, you'd still have eternity to do them all again.

...and if the Abrahamic religions are correct, that eternity will be spent kowtowing to god even though most of the people you ever loved are being tortured for all eeettteeerrrnniitttyyy, by that same god, for something someone else did thousands of years before they were even born.

Edited by redwhine