O.K. then what or who is God?

I have been thinking long and hard and I still cannot find any solution to the God problem.

Now myself and religion have never mixed as I view all religions as little more than fairy tales expanded by people who on the whole make themselves very wealthy in the process.

No my problem is when I say wake up in a morning with the sun streaming in through the window and I lay there thinking what is life all about I then pinch my self just to make sure I am real .

That is when the what is all this about bit clicks in .

Now I have read all the Darwin theory about how we came out of the sea and grew tails then started standing up on two hind legs etc but it just does not make sense, I mean why only us why not cats or dogs or donkeys etc how is it only the human species that evolved this way.

And so then I go back to the God bit I mean is it possible that It all happened in a way that even today we still know nothing about is it possible that we are the off spring of some intergalactic visitors to Earth who after a quick fling on Earth decided that this World was not for them and shot off to pastures new forgetting about this Planet for ever.

Now we have computers, space ships ,radio waves, and technology beyond belief and we are no nearer even today actually discovering .

Where did we come from, Why are we here, What happens to us when we die, and who or what is God.

Now I have read all the Darwin theory about how we came out of the sea and grew tails then started standing up on two hind legs etc but it just does not make sense, I mean why only us why not cats or dogs or donkeys etc how is it only the human species that evolved this way.

Somehow I don't think you have "read all the Darwin theory".

Edited by wildbilly2

Where did we come from, Why are we here, What happens to us when we die, ..........

Don't worry about all that.

Simply contemplate consciousness.

That'll keep you busy for a while.

I have been thinking long and hard and I still cannot find any solution to the God problem.

Now myself and religion have never mixed as I view all religions as little more than fairy tales expanded by people who on the whole make themselves very wealthy in the process.

No my problem is when I say wake up in a morning with the sun streaming in through the window and I lay there thinking what is life all about I then pinch my self just to make sure I am real .

And so then I go back to the God bit I mean is it possible that It all happened in a way that even today we still know nothing about is it possible that we are the off spring of some intergalactic visitors to Earth who after a quick fling on Earth decided that this World was not for them and shot off to pastures new forgetting about this Planet for ever.

Now we have computers, space ships ,radio waves, and technology beyond belief and we are no nearer even today actually discovering .

Where did we come from, Why are we here, What happens to us when we die, and who or what is God.

What is "the God problem" ?

If you had read all of Darwins theory of evolution you would know all about Darwin's finches and wouldn't be making such a comment.

When you realise that god is dog backwards, you stop worrying.

...I mean why only us why not cats or dogs or donkeys etc how is it only the human species that evolved this way.

You could ask the same question from the cat's perspective too. Why have only cats evolved the way they have? Why do only cats fill the cat-shaped niche of life?

... is it possible that we are the off spring of some intergalactic visitors to Earth who after a quick fling on Earth decided that this World was not for them and shot off to pastures new forgetting about this Planet for ever.

If we have extra terrestrial origins, why are we so closely and demonstrably related to so much other life on Earth?

Why are we here

There isn't a 'why'; we just are.

What is "the God problem" ?

I think Daffodil is asking who or what is God.

That is a problem that has baffled mankind for centuries.

I think Daffodil is asking who or what is God.

That is a problem that has baffled mankind for centuries.

Yes, ever since the concept of gods was invented

I have been thinking long and hard and I still cannot find any solution to the God problem. Now myself and religion have never mixed as I view all religions as little more than fairy tales expanded by people who on the whole make themselves very wealthy in the process...

is it possible that we are the off spring of some intergalactic visitors to Earth who after a quick fling on Earth decided that this World was not for them and shot off to pastures new forgetting about this Planet for ever.

I think people, in times when they didn't know much about the world, invented gods to help explain why we exist and why life can be good or crap. They also invented gods to give them a sense of control; not just over the harsh environment, but also over others - especially over who or what they feared. Over the centuries, because of accumulated knowledge about the environment, people and the universe, there are fewer reasons - especially fear based reasons - to believe in a god.

So, now god beliefs are on their way out -or becoming more wishy washy - what do people do? They start inventing scenarios where aliens might have made us - and, in some cases, invent fearful scary aliens to boot.

Same old same old.

Edited by Ryedo40

Brave post dafodil, people should expand to other theory's besides Darwin and God.

I'm with dafodil, why not, why would we be the only planet with life on it, or that had life on it.

You answered your own question here in bold. You can eliminate any 'god problem' by re-reading this line that you wrote yourself.