Green laning in derbyshire and South Yorkshire help pls

Well you keep driving round mansfield:)

i will do just that but i will also keep Green laning as i have every right to do so as it is a legal public highway :D

I'll go along with that smithy.

Green Laning to me is (or should be) about the responsible use of unsurfaced byways with vehicular rights. The vehicle needs to be taxed, tested, insured, and fully road legal (tyres & exhausts included), just like it would to drive round the rest of Sheffield.

Motorcross tracks are a completely different thing, on private land, with the landowners permission.

I would hope that merging these two different threads won't encourage irresponsible or illegal use of unsurfaced Byways in the Peak District, or anywhere else for that matter.

Personally I'm for live and let live. If as a walker you don't want to mix with cars or motorcycles, then please stick to Public Footpaths, Bridleways and "Access Land" where mechanically propelled vehicles are quite rightly excluded.

For more info on the classifications please see http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/access/rightsofway/prow/default.aspx where there is a wealth of information.

As you can see from the link, "Byways Open To All Traffic" only account for about 2% of the total rights of way in England and Wales, so there's plenty of places to go to avoid the infernal combustion engine.

I'd also suggest contacting your local branch of the TRF for more specific two wheeled information.

Quote from their web site

"The organisation that represents responsible trail riders

Preserving historic, public rights of way for the benefit of all user groups"

Personally, I cover most bases, being a walker, occasional cyclist, nature lover, birdwatcher, motorcyclist and Landrover owner.

See it is possible to combine them all without being Anti any of them. :hihi:

Cheers for the help

When you say public highways do you mean normal roads or tracks?

Unfortunately the words "normal roads" or "tracks" don't really have any formal legal definition, so can be quite misleading. Please see the the longer link in my earlier post for the formal names and access rights of Public Rights of Way.

Other Road classifications can be found from a variety of resources, such as http://www.dft.gov.uk/publications/road-classification-guidance/ or http://www.cbrd.co.uk/roadsfaq/

The latter, whilst unofficial seems quite informative.

I use to go to desert but I herd they closed it off...

mansfield desert is open as a legal p&p site it has been for last few weeks every saterday & sunday

mansfield desert is open as a legal p&p site it has been for last few weeks every saterday & sunday

Thanks is it free

no you got to pay not sure how much suzuki mad will no

no you got to pay not sure how much suzuki mad will no

No p & p will be pay and play, it's too large a site to take home, the post & packing would be extortionate :hihi:

Not at all

using motorbikes on paths, can cause lots of problems including errosion and damage to habitat

Why don't people stick to the road ......

I came across a family of heffalumps in the Yorkshire dales , obviously from the city and they got stuck in mud, couldn't stop laughing at these lot wallowing around in the mud

there not paths ya doo gooder there by ways i pay road tax so that entitles me to ride those byways there not paths there old roads

Believe it or not, the biggest cause of erosion on green lanes is...............................................................................................................water! I have been riding on lanes that have literally turned into streams/rivers during periods of heavy rain. Why cant everyone get along in the countryside? Its not exactly nose to tail with bikes and 4x4's on lanes is it? I agree that people who break the law and drive/ride on illegal lanes should be prosecuted but I have had arguements with walkers on legal lanes in the past, and have even been threatend with acts of violence! That was pretty funny to be honest as I was suited and booted in body armour and a helmet!

I would suggest joining the trail riders fellowship.

Its people like you that areas like the peak district and yorkshire dales DONT need

And its people like you that need to get a life!

there not paths ya doo gooder there by ways i pay road tax so that entitles me to ride those byways there not paths there old roads

This is a bad advert for off-roading,combining arrogance and ignorance.