Green laning in derbyshire and South Yorkshire help pls

I thought there was somewhere near tankersly round about. Off stocksbridge bypass?

i'd have tried to find out where I could take it before buying one! I dont think that there are any legal places to ride in Sheffield. Have a look here for the closest places:

http://www.totalmx.co.uk/tracks/motocross-tracks-in-sheffield.php

A great link.

Most earlier threads have concentrated on the tracks around Doncaster (and the jokes about High Green, especially designed to upset a particular local poster).

I thought there was somewhere near tankersly round about. Off stocksbridge bypass?

There definetly use to be one there,not noticed it being used for a few months but it could still be in use.

Seemed different topics to me, one about green laning, which are public highways, the other about off roading.

Does anyone no which keys on o/s map you can ride motorbikes on, I no that byways which are +-+- are ok but I've been told diamonds with broken lines are ok but they say footpath on the lanes when you get to them???

Cheers

Routes marked with diamonds as "National Trail/Long Distance Route/Recreational Route. The permissions of a particular section of the route is indicated by the lines between the diamonds.

For example, if you follow the Sheffield Country Walk from High Bradfield to Upper Burbage, it starts as a footpath (green short dashes), then follows a road (bordered yellow line), back to a foot path (green short dashes), then a road (bordered white line), back to a footpath again (green short dashes), until it meets Long Causeway where it is a footpath marked with short black dashes.

So you should ignore the fact that there are diamonds when looking to see if you're allowed to ride a bike on a route and only pay attention to the lines between them.

Don't forget that there are additional restrictions on some byways in the Peak District - see here.

Mansfield is now open and a legal pay and play site https://www.facebook.com/groups/151650011614807/

as for us ripping up your countryside what a load of bull we do no such thing :rant::rant::rant: there public highways we have as much right to be there as any of you do

Edited by sheffjohn

Seemed different topics to me, one about green laning, which are public highways, the other about off roading.

I'll go along with that smithy.

Green Laning to me is (or should be) about the responsible use of unsurfaced byways with vehicular rights. The vehicle needs to be taxed, tested, insured, and fully road legal (tyres & exhausts included), just like it would to drive round the rest of Sheffield.

Motorcross tracks are a completely different thing, on private land, with the landowners permission.

I would hope that merging these two different threads won't encourage irresponsible or illegal use of unsurfaced Byways in the Peak District, or anywhere else for that matter.

Personally I'm for live and let live. If as a walker you don't want to mix with cars or motorcycles, then please stick to Public Footpaths, Bridleways and "Access Land" where mechanically propelled vehicles are quite rightly excluded.

For more info on the classifications please see http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/access/rightsofway/prow/default.aspx where there is a wealth of information.

As you can see from the link, "Byways Open To All Traffic" only account for about 2% of the total rights of way in England and Wales, so there's plenty of places to go to avoid the infernal combustion engine.

I'd also suggest contacting your local branch of the TRF for more specific two wheeled information.

Quote from their web site

"The organisation that represents responsible trail riders

Preserving historic, public rights of way for the benefit of all user groups"

Personally, I cover most bases, being a walker, occasional cyclist, nature lover, birdwatcher, motorcyclist and Landrover owner.

See it is possible to combine them all without being Anti any of them. :hihi:

Edited by peak4

Mansfield is now open and a legal pay and play site https://www.facebook.com/groups/151650011614807/

as for us ripping up your ripping up the countryside what a load of bull we do no such thing :rant::rant::rant: there public highways we have as much right to be there as any of you do

When you say public highways do you mean normal roads or tracks?

When you say public highways do you mean normal roads or tracks?

i mean public highways if you do not know what a public highway is you can go take a look at the Highways Agency website :)

Well you keep driving round mansfield:)

Routes marked with diamonds as "National Trail/Long Distance Route/Recreational Route. The permissions of a particular section of the route is indicated by the lines between the diamonds.

For example, if you follow the Sheffield Country Walk from High Bradfield to Upper Burbage, it starts as a footpath (green short dashes), then follows a road (bordered yellow line), back to a foot path (green short dashes), then a road (bordered white line), back to a footpath again (green short dashes), until it meets Long Causeway where it is a footpath marked with short black dashes.

So you should ignore the fact that there are diamonds when looking to see if you're allowed to ride a bike on a route and only pay attention to the lines between them.

Don't forget that there are additional restrictions on some byways in the Peak District - see here.

Ok thanks...