Anyone else had a cold for this long?

I have had this bl**dy cold thing for about 3 weeks now and it shows no signs of going. Anyone else had it for this long? or any suggestions? my nose is the main problem, running one minute then completely blocked the next!

I've got a similar thing, it just never seems to completely go away, and you get all the flu symptoms which are on/off, just as you think you're cured it starts again - it's a nightmare! There is a bug going round at the moment which is hard to get rid of apparently.

I'd go see the doctor as you may need antibiotics or a strong anti inflammatory drug, I got some today and hope it'll help as I am well and truly fed up with this constant illness!:(

Don't quote me on it but I think a cold is a viral infection and so antibiotics won't help at all. Its probably better to talk to a pharmacist about it; they'll tell you if you need to see a doctor. The problem with colds is that there are so many different forms that you can't develop immunity to it, as you'll be infected by a different strain the next time meaning you can keep going round in circles. Hope you feel better soon, you should get very helpful advice from a pharmacy :)

Aye, had mine for 2 weeks, it shows signs of going away, next morning it's back as bad as ever. I'm on penicillin for it.

Angel.

My cold started yesterday evening.

I'm on Scotch for it. :)

Don't quote me on it but I think a cold is a viral infection and so antibiotics won't help at all. Its probably better to talk to a pharmacist about it; they'll tell you if you need to see a doctor. The problem with colds is that there are so many different forms that you can't develop immunity to it, as you'll be infected by a different strain the next time meaning you can keep going round in circles. Hope you feel better soon, you should get very helpful advice from a pharmacy :)

That's the thing, it could be bacterial in which case you would get antibiotics, but could well be viral, that's what mine is and so I got anti inflammatories not antibiotics. It's likely not a common cold as it has lasted such a long time, in my case it is a throat problem, but it could be various other things. Going to a pharmacy is usually a good call but to be honest, if it has lasted 3 weeks, a pharmacist would tell you to go and see a GP as they usually do when symptoms persist for more than a few days.:)

I have had this bl**dy cold thing for about 3 weeks now and it shows no signs of going. Anyone else had it for this long? or any suggestions? my nose is the main problem, running one minute then completely blocked the next!

Stop moaning SNOTTY!:hihi::hihi::hihi:

When I get flu I always have 4 beechams powders with lemon and a bottle of whisky. It does not make me feel any better but what the hell do I care?:hihi:

I've had two doses over the past 6 weeks! The first dose was quite nasty and made me feel really ill. Headache, temperature sore throat and a heavy cold etc.

That seemed to go after about a week and then a week later I had another heavy cold accompanied by a chesty cough and a lot of phlegm (yuk). That carried on for a couple of weeks and it's only this past couple of days that I finally seem to be phlegm free.

Seems like there's quite a few nasty bugs doing the rounds lately but if you can avoid taking anti-biotics and just use the usua over the counterl cold/flu remedies then it really is better for you.

Echinacea works wonders for me. Antibiotics won't help unless the cold has left you with a chest infection.

Try having a good gargle with salt water, and help yourself to a hot toddy. The vitamin C boost will help you some, and the whisky and warm water will soothe your throat. Are you sure its not flu? I was told that to test the difference, have someone place a £20 note outside; if its a cold you'll go to get it, if its flu you'll think "sod it" :D Seriously though, I would go and get advice, even if its to put your mind at ease.

I went to chemist and bought a nose inhaler, vicks vapour rub, lozenges(however u spell it) and sudafed nose spray, the spray has helped alot but still not right. I also have asthma so have to be careful what i take, if not gone by next week will go to doctors and see what they say