Sheaf valley baths

Did you ever go to Sheaf Valley swimming baths !?

If so ... what can you remember about them ?

I remember it had 3 pools ...

Diving pool was fun ... off the top splash !!

Remember the old vending machines ... with like monster munch n stuff !!

And the changing rooms with those hanging baskets with room at the bottom for shoes ...

Can you remember anything else !? ....

Threads merged.

Originally posted by Sam Miguel

It was so much better than Pond's Forge, and they pulled it down!

Pond's Forge changing facilities for the leisure pool are nothing short of disgusting. You can't get stripped off for a shower - it's public, the cubicles are too small, they are unisex, half of them have been vandalised and the locks don't work properly.

Swimming is supposed to be relaxing, but on the odd occasion that I take my lad there, I get really wound up. ARGH!!!

Bring back Sheaf Valley!

I totally agree with the whole content of this post. Kids in the water they love it.

Originally posted by Jamie

Did you ever go to Sheaf Valley swimming baths !?

If so ... what can you remember about them ?

I remember it had 3 pools ...

Diving pool was fun ... off the top splash !!

Remember the old vending machines ... with like monster munch n stuff !!

And the changing rooms with those hanging baskets with room at the bottom for shoes ...

Can you remember anything else !? ....

Remember the vending machines,used to love the blackcurrent drink:)

Originally posted by deano

Remember the vending machines,used to love the blackcurrent drink:)

As a youngster I remember standing on the top diving board and a kid infront of me was hesitating about jumping, he finally jumped off but instead of jumping straight ahead he went at an angle and from up above it looked like he was going to land on the edge... ouch! he did'nt of course but it scared me to death.

The main pool was 50m in lenght approx, I read some where that the pool was built 2 inches too short of 50m, so that meant it could not be used for sporting events, not sure if that was true or not.

The vending machines at swimming baths were the only place that you could buy that stuff made of rice crispies glued together, and shoved in a clear wrapper. mmmm.

I remember Rolf Harris being on TV and opening it. The pool was 33m long and quite wide - a useless size for competition - and deep in the middle too, which made it interesting. I remember as I grew up I could bob up and down in the deep end and breathe etc. Did my 'Mile' there while still at school.

I used to try and swim a width - could do it if I dived in and the but not from a standing start in the pool. I later managed 25 yards underwater at Glossop Road.

Jumped off top splash 1000 times or more - loved it. It was quite deep - 5m or more - but I could touch the bottom after jumping off the top.

I could never figure out what all the seats were for - like - who the hell want's to watch people swimming. Rarely saw anyone up there.

sheaf valley baths , excellent place used to spend most sat there with mates ,

baby pool was lovely and warm , probably from all the baby wee

the main pool was massive to us kids at the time

and the i thnk the it was about 5/6 metre in the dving pool

my dads mate chucked me off the first splash and i thought i was gonna drown

soon made it up to the top splash great way to impress the girlies at the time

and yes the vending machines monster munch and hot chocalote for me tho

Originally posted by Lickszz

No, I can't recall exactly how deep it was. I liked Sheaf valley baths very much and was sad to see it go. I went off the top a few times back then and I remember it seemed to take ages to get back up to the surface. There used to be a painting on the wall by Rolf Harris near at the shallow end. I wonder what became of that?

iwas there when rolf harris opened the baths.....and having visited the place 100's of times i still never worked out what the painting was of:confused: :confused:

I used to go down to the sauna and steam room, it was like a club with the same faces: heyhey: on display week after week, and the attendants were a bit like a comedy duo. what a superb atmosphere they created, pity there's no where that compares to it now.

Guest unners

what i remember of Sheaf valley was when you had got changed,you had to walk through a tiny pool of cold water to clean your feet before you got to the main pools.And also remember the coloured bands you had to wear around your wrist,then a noice would sound and a coloured light matching your bang would flash,to indicate your time was up.