Where's the best place to buy a real Christmas Tree?

Hi I'm buying a real tree for the first time.weres the best place and cheapest to buy one from? Thanks

Hello Stephbaby,

The best place to go is Longshaw Lodge at Foxhouse, Sheffield. Longshaw Lodge is a National Trust managed property. They grow onsite Christmas trees which they sell around Christmas time. The money they raise by selling the trees goes towards the cost of taking care of Longshaw Lodge and its beautiful countryside estate.

I don't know whether this has been mentioned .. But as from today IKEA are selling real trees for £25 and you get a £20 voucher to use in January.

You can get sustainably grown Christmas trees from Ecclesall Woods Saw Mill, Abbey Lane and also peruse the new gallery with wooden Sheffield crafted gifts whilst there (Open 10-4).

Greens fruit and veg shop at stocks bridge nice trees at great price

Valleyside Garden Centre on Manchester Road coming out of Crosspool always have a great selection. They're all un-netted so you can see what you're getting and they net it afterwards. Not cheap, but as many people have said, cheap usually means nasty.

And I'll also echo what other people have said about getting a stand that holds water, saw a few inches of the bottom of the trunk before putting it in and make sure to top up the water as it needs it. For the first few days especially, you'll be surprised at how much water the tree takes up.

I'd second the Longshaw Estate if you're wanting a replantable one. Failing that, Whirlow Farm usually have some nice ones although they are a little pricier than other places.

Where is the Longshaw Estate? Do they sell them without roots and can you pick your own? What are their prices?

---------- Post added 07-12-2012 at 21:55 ----------

Sorry just found out they are at Foxhill. Where is Foxhill?

---------- Post added 07-12-2012 at 21:58 ----------

Sorry Foxhouse! Where is Foxhouse?

Longshaw is just across the road from the Fox House pub, the last in Sheffield on Hathersage Road, which is a continuation of Ecclesall Road. Turn left at Fox House, then follow the white Christmas tree signs. (Postcode S11 7TZ)

They're selling with or without roots. You can choose your own to have cut or dug up, or buy already cut. They'll sometimes allow mums or dads do the job themselves if you ask. They've got 4 or 5 different types of trees. Prices vary from little trees at £12.50 up to massive trees at heaven only knows what prices. They sell on height and type. I think they might haggle for a 12 foot+ tree as they seemed to have a lot of them when I was there yesterday! I got a really nice Nordman for £40. Smaller sizes seemed to be going very well.