Roman Catholic Cathedral Saint Marie's

Does anyone know when the Cathedral is due to re-open following renovation work.

the Catholic Cathedral are currently using the former post office building next door to the cathedral for worship.

I presume, if you call in, they will be able to give you more information. ( there does seem to be members of staff around when I have been past the temporary chapel.)

All I know is the information from the signs, that the work is expected to be completed by "Autumn 2012"

Hello, I grew up Catholic, Catholic family, friends and schools. Since moving to Sheffield a long time ago, I have not met anyone who is Catholic. I really miss Catholic culture. I am not into church or religion, but I miss Catholic people and culture. It would be good to meet people. Do you have any ideas what I could join in with (not church!) I miss the non religious Catholic culture, as one would describe someone who is culturally Jewish but not religious. 'Where are my people?' as my Jazz loving musician friend said when she moved to Sheffield.

Highgreen has a Catholic community, always has. I'm not Catholic myself but a few of my friends are.

You will find the information about the opening of St Marie's here.

http://stmariecathedral.org/reopening-programme/

the Catholic Cathedral are currently using the former post office building next door to the cathedral for worship.

I presume, if you call in, they will be able to give you more information. ( there does seem to be members of staff around when I have been past the temporary chapel.)

All I know is the information from the signs, that the work is expected to be completed by "Autumn 2012"

Thankyou for that information.

Yes i am. Why do you ask?

because to call yourself a Roman Catholic is contradictory in terms,

You are a Catholic not a Roman Catholic,

The term Roman Catholic was brought in to effect during the reformation by henry viii

Hello, I grew up Catholic, Catholic family, friends and schools. Since moving to Sheffield a long time ago, I have not met anyone who is Catholic. I really miss Catholic culture. I am not into church or religion, but I miss Catholic people and culture. It would be good to meet people. Do you have any ideas what I could join in with (not church!) I miss the non religious Catholic culture, as one would describe someone who is culturally Jewish but not religious. 'Where are my people?' as my Jazz loving musician friend said when she moved to Sheffield.

It will depend on the parish and where you live.Some churches have dances and musical entertainment in their church halls.Any entertainment they have won't be exclusive to catholics or church attenders.Its difficult to find out about any events though without seeing their church notice boards.

If you pop into the Cathedral when it re-opens,you can have a look at the notice board.

When you say Catholic culture are you associating that with any particular nationality,i know their is a Polish Centre somewhere in Sheffield,i've seen that on the notice board.

There is also an Irish association for people who are Irish or of that background,and for those who like Irish music and caelie dances.

http://www.sheffieldirish.org./wordpress/

Edited by rosemary19