Old brick yard in Wincobank

Click on this link to a pic showing the brickyard...

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t06650&pos=3&action=zoom&id=95489

Then click on 'Zoom image' for a bigger pic.

I lived at Foxglove Road on the Flower Estate from 1957 aged 14 to when I married in 1966.

Here it is on 4 April 1967, a year after I left. Lilac Road is the junction on the left and I lived in the second block along after the junction. It seemed a bit tidier than today. Not a vehicle in sight, but, is that a piece of litter in the gutter on the right!? :hihi: ...

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15949&prevUrl=

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

The person who said there wasn't a brickyard on wincobank avenue is wrong, we lived at 14 brickfield terrace, which was next to the brickyard.

---------- Post added 14-01-2016 at 22:49 ----------

The person who said there wasn't a brickyard on wincobank avenue is wrong, we lived at 14 brickfield terrace, which was next to the brickyard.

---------- Post added 14-01-2016 at 22:57 ----------

We lived next door to the brickyard on wincobank avenue. We moved away around 1967 as they pulled our houses down, brickfield terrace. The brickyard was still there.

did you live at 14 brickfield terrace ???

I suppose it depends on how you define Wincobank. The Sheffield Brick Co. was in "High Wincobank" according to the map I linked. Here is another map showing the area referred to by Gethro. As for "sailing home made rafts" - my goodness, this takes me back! In the 1950s we did exactly the same on the pond at Siddons' (ganister) quarry & works off Loxley Road..:)
There was a brick yard at the back of Shiregreen School we used to swim in the pond there in fifties .there are some houses there now

---------- Post added 17-01-2016 at 22:03 ----------

did you live at 14 brickfield terrace ???

There were some back to back houses which were pulled down and the Roman ridge pub was built there we used to go skinny dipping in the lake near the brick yard. Until some girl drowned in it

I remember sitting in school and watching 2 men stood on to of the chimney knocking it down brick by brick.

Click on this link to a pic showing the brickyard...

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t06650&pos=3&action=zoom&id=95489

Then click on 'Zoom image' for a bigger pic.

I lived at Foxglove Road on the Flower Estate from 1957 aged 14 to when I married in 1966.

Here it is on 4 April 1967, a year after I left. Lilac Road is the junction on the left and I lived in the second block along after the junction. It seemed a bit tidier than today. Not a vehicle in sight, but, is that a piece of litter in the gutter on the right!? :hihi: ...

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15949&prevUrl=

Peter.

That looks like where the 2 corner shops were, Taylor's and Pipers, I seem to remember Pipers being Mcnoughts at one time, I lived at the other end of Foxglove Rd near the old phone box

The brickyard belonged to the SBC. Sheffield Brick Company. There were 2 more. One on Rutland Road, (where I worked) and the other was on Penistone Road near the railway bridge.

The brickyard belonged to the SBC. Sheffield Brick Company. There were 2 more. One on Rutland Road, (where I worked) and the other was on Penistone Road near the railway bridge.

That's right mate, what years did you work there ?, my father and several of his brothers worked for the SBC

I worked at SBC Rutland Road. Was there 1962 to 64

Ah right, I know my father (Alec) worked at Rutland Rd, not sure what years most likely 50s/early 60s then moved to Wincobank site to be nearer home until it closed down in the late 60s, his brothers Ray and Harry also worked at Rutland Rd

Hi there Local Blade..

I think we might know each other from way way way back.. My friend started this topic in november 2012 after i told him i was trying to find information/photos of the old brick yards at Shiregreen & Rutland road . After reading your last post i got a kind of eerie feeling . My uncle Alec worked at the Shiregreen brick yard until it closed in the late 1960`s i remember him driving the digger there although i was only bout 5 -6 years old at the time , my dad & my uncle Ray worked at the Rutland road yard until it closed in the mid/late 1970`s , i remember going with my cousin Alec to the hill slopes on Douglas road at the back of the Rutland road yard and him taking pictures of the kilns & buildings being demolished ....

---------- Post added 02-06-2017 at 22:33 ----------

Heyup Local Blade

I cant PM you as i haven`t enough posts on here yet , Really good to hear from you and

yeah its been a while , be good to meet up sometime and catch up perhaps over a pint :thumbsup: thats if your still a drinking man :wink:.

H

Edited by HJAMESR6262

Hi there Local Blade..

I think we might know each other from way way way back.. My friend started this topic in november 2012 after i told him i was trying to find information/photos of the old brick yards at Shiregreen & Rutland road . After reading your last post i got a kind of eerie feeling . My uncle Alec worked at the Shiregreen brick yard until it closed in the late 1960`s i remember him driving the digger there although i was only bout 5 -6 years old at the time , my dad & my uncle Ray worked at the Rutland road yard until it closed in the mid/late 1970`s , i remember going with my cousin Alec to the hill slopes on Douglas road at the back of the Rutland road yard and him taking pictures of the kilns & buildings being demolished ....

---------- Post added 02-06-2017 at 22:33 ----------

Heyup Local Blade

I cant PM you as i haven`t enough posts on here yet , Really good to hear from you and

yeah its been a while , be good to meet up sometime and catch up perhaps over a pint :thumbsup: thats if your still a drinking man :wink:.

H

i have been known to have the odd half now & again :D:D:D yeah we will sort something out in the near future, keep posting stuff on here its amazing what history you can learn

be in touch soon

alec

Any memories of the brick works on Rutland Road.