Old brick yard in Wincobank

I suppose it depends on how you define Wincobank. The Sheffield Brick Co. was in "High Wincobank" according to the map I linked. Here is another map showing the area referred to by Gethro. As for "sailing home made rafts" - my goodness, this takes me back! In the 1950s we did exactly the same on the pond at Siddons' (ganister) quarry & works off Loxley Road..:)

Edited by hillsbro

I remember the chimneys and how warm they were they were opposite the cemetary and the park.

Hi Hillsborough, had a look at your map, (what year was it ?.) I have a Alan

Godfrey copy of the Wincobank & Meadowhall 1902 Old Ordnance Survey map (2nd edition ) which actually shows the layout of the buildings, the kiln and the chimney and is described as "The Brickworks"!. Still brings back happy memories !.

Hi Hillsborough, had a look at your map, (what year was it ?.) ...
The map isn't dated but I bought it from Pauldens on The Moor when it first opened in 1962, so it's probably a 1950s map. Old Ordnance Survey maps are wonderful, especially the large-scale ones. Some can be seen on the http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk site..:)

You're dead right Local Blade, the Brickyard Quarry on Shiregreen Lane, was another great play area of ours. I think after the quarry was exhausted of clay, the raw materials were shipped in to keep the kilns working for some time, till the Brickworks finally closed.

The quarry had water in it . 2 to 3 feet deep in places. A great place for sailing home made rafts on, until we got chased by the local Bobby!. Again, Happy Days !.

used to swim in there in,t nudy

There was a brickyard at the end of Ruthin st Grimesthorpe just down road from the who can tell pub red dust everywhere :thumbsup:

That was the Sheffield Brick company pigeon, my wifes grandfather worked for them, and also lived in one of the brick companies houses at 9 Botham St, they owned more, but I'm not sure how many below the Whooka pub belonged to them.

hi can anyone tell me if there has been a old brick yard in wincobank? if so when and where its location was. also the name of the yard would be great cheers all:)

The brick yard was on Wincobank Ave it was behind the Roman Ridge pub which is now the new Doctors building I lived on the Ave 47 years I remember the chimney at the yard being blown down

hi can anyone tell me if there has been a old brick yard in wincobank? if so when and where its location was. also the name of the yard would be great cheers all:)

There was a Brickyard on Wincobank Ave behind the Roman Ridge pub its now a new building a Doctors,I lived on Wincobank Ave a lot of years and I remember watching the giant Chimney at the brick yard being blown down

The brickyard backed onto Shiregreen Sec Modern school. I was there in fifties, the quarry left from the digging of clay was filled in in the sixties as a kid was drowned swimming in it. I believe the old school has been demolished now and a new building there.

yes there was, sheffield brick company as it was called,i know because my dad used to be the foreman there and used to take me on a saturday mornings to help him and earning some pocket money in the process.there were 2 entrances one on wincobank ave at the side of the roman ridge pub and the other on shiregreen lane next to the coal man jack watkin.there was also one on rutland rd,wadsley bridge and i believe there was one at woodseats,a number of my dads brothers also worked at these sites

The person who said there wasn't a brickyard on wincobank avenue is wrong, we lived at 14 brickfield terrace, which was next to the brickyard.

---------- Post added 14-01-2016 at 22:49 ----------

yes there was, sheffield brick company as it was called,i know because my dad used to be the foreman there and used to take me on a saturday mornings to help him and earning some pocket money in the process.there were 2 entrances one on wincobank ave at the side of the roman ridge pub and the other on shiregreen lane next to the coal man jack watkin.there was also one on rutland rd,wadsley bridge and i believe there was one at woodseats,a number of my dads brothers also worked at these sites

The person who said there wasn't a brickyard on wincobank avenue is wrong, we lived at 14 brickfield terrace, which was next to the brickyard.

---------- Post added 14-01-2016 at 22:57 ----------

We lived next door to the brickyard on wincobank avenue. We moved away around 1967 as they pulled our houses down, brickfield terrace. The brickyard was still there.

---------- Post added 14-01-2016 at 22:49 ----------

---------- Post added 14-01-2016 at 22:57 ----------

We lived next door to the brickyard on wincobank avenue. We moved away around 1967 as they pulled our houses down, brickfield terrace. The brickyard was still there.

It is now a nursing home called Haythorn Place that is now on the old brickyard site. :)