Free lunch and bible!

So?

Just get on with your own lives and let them get on with theirs.

Just to add. I have great repect for Islam and the Quoran and would never make any offensive remarks about any religions holy teachings. I just wish that some people had the same respect for mine.

If 5000 turn up someone may need to do a trick.

In the absence of a "like" or "recommend" button I say good post sir, made me chuckle on my way to work.

The Bible is a fairy story never mind what religion you belong too. Can't believe educated adults think there is life after death.

No there isn't. End of your life, that's it, final.

How arrogant the human species is.

Kindly provide me with tonight's winning lottery numbers.

Should be easy as you know everything.....

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

So?

Just get on with your own lives and let them get on with theirs.

I think you will find that it is them that are pushing leaflets through my letter box, and it was them that upset my daughter 10 years ago when they told her friend not to talk to her anymore.

I have no desire to influence what they can do.

Just commenting (this being a discussion forum) that I find this marketing effort rather puzzling given what I know about the organisation.

This might be a really big thing for them. Those familiar with the Exclusive Brethren will be aware of all the "keep out" signs that proliferate their property on Carterknowle Road. Hopefully this might be the efforts of a new generation of brethren educated in a state school environment trying to be more inclusive.

As far as I am concerned this is a cult, so any attempts to invite contact with the real world is encouraging.

The Bible is a fairy story never mind what religion you belong too. Can't believe educated adults think there is life after death.

No there isn't. End of your life, that's it, final.

How arrogant the human species is.

You know that we cease totally after death? Would be interested in seeing your evidence for that claim :)

I had 2 very smart looking little boys come in to my shop in Bradway all excited. They handed me this leaflet and asked me to tell all my friends.

Beware sounds like up and coming Mormons

Does every thread which mentions Christianity have to turn into an argument about whether or not God exists? I don't think it really does and I'm not about to let the forum degenerate into that either.

If you are interested in meeting up and having a free bible then this is what the thread is about.

If, however, you are not interested then you are completely at liberty to ignore the flyer, ignore the thread and go about your day as you would otherwise. Nothing in either the flyer or the thread demands that you start a character assassination of Christians, of anybody who may be interested in reading the bible or of those who are interested in engaging in further discussion about this.

In the words of an old admin of this forum, there is no obligation to post on every thread you read and for an awful lot of these threads the message is that if you have nothing to actually add to the discussion then please say nothing at all.

Does every thread which mentions Christianity have to turn into an argument about whether or not God exists? I don't think it really does and I'm not about to let the forum degenerate into that either.

If you are interested in meeting up and having a free bible then this is what the thread is about.

If, however, you are not interested then you are completely at liberty to ignore the flyer, ignore the thread and go about your day as you would otherwise. Nothing in either the flyer or the thread demands that you start a character assassination of Christians, of anybody who may be interested in reading the bible or of those who are interested in engaging in further discussion about this.

In the words of an old admin of this forum, there is no obligation to post on every thread you read and for an awful lot of these threads the message is that if you have nothing to actually add to the discussion then please say nothing at all.

It's a discussion, that's what forums are about.

It's a discussion, that's what forums are about.

It's also a private forum, which means we can set the rules.

One of our rules is not posting offensively and another is heeding warnings posted by the admin and moderating team.

It isn't necessarily either/or though is it?

Some people may have concerns about the particular flavour of Christians, especially when it comes to very cultish (I said that right, it's not masked honestly!) practices and involving children.

Also specific criticisms of the particular group shouldn't be, or be taken as, criticisms of the entire Christian faith

I would certainly be more wary of this particular "brotherhood" than if Saint Arthur's C of E were offering tea, cake and bible passages, especially if I knew someone who may be in a fragile or impressionable state of mind were planning to attend.

So perhaps some may feel that there is more to it than simply getting a free meal and a book. Granted the existence or otherwise of a God or Gods is not going to be resolved here and isn't the issue, but if people have concerns about an earthly world group then just because they claim their actions to be in the name of a God surely shouldn't exclude them from scrutiny?

It isn't necessarily either/or though is it?

Some people may have concerns about the particular flavour of Christians, especially when it comes to very cultish (I said that right, it's not masked honestly!) practices and involving children.

Also specific criticisms of the particular group shouldn't be, or be taken as, criticisms of the entire Christian faith

I would certainly be more wary of this particular "brotherhood" than if Saint Arthur's C of E were offering tea, cake and bible passages, especially if I knew someone who may be in a fragile or impressionable state of mind were planning to attend.

So perhaps some may feel that there is more to it than simply getting a free meal and a book. Granted the existence or otherwise of a God or Gods is not going to be resolved here and isn't the issue, but if people have concerns about an earthly world group then just because they claim their actions to be in the name of a God surely shouldn't exclude them from scrutiny?

Those who have concerns can turn up at the event to express their worries, or ignore the whole situation can't they?

There is no need to turn every thread about an event into a full blown discussion of Christianity.