Do peoples comments put you off posting

I am new here on the forum but lived in Sheffield all my life.

I have been looking through some of the posts and looked at peoples comments.

Sometimes not a good comment to be honest and yes i know we all have an opinion but sometimes there are ways of saying things without the sarcastic comments etc.

My question is have you every been put off by someones comments and considered not posting again?

This goes for any forum not just this one

Yes.

You get to feel who's the people who'd argue with you no matter the subject , try telling them the sky is blue and you'll get verbal vomit in reply and make out your the one making it up.

There's a few you'll get to know like this on here. In general you get to find them out, find out where and what subject they get amusement of trolling in and just avoid adding any posts to the subject.

The general discussion section on here is more or less an open section full of trolls and other nasties.

There are a lot of people who have left this forum because of what you describe it was an excellent forum not so long ago, but know you see the same post days on end, yes it has had an adverse effect on posters, the leave the forum.

kidley

Edited by kidley

In short, yes.

I too have lived here all my life but I don't post on here very often and I don't even view the forum as often as I used to because of all the sarcastic and sometimes down right nasty comments that people get on here.

Which is all about they the forum is managed.

Not said it before as its never bothered me but.....

A forum where people fear to make comments is a badly managed one.

Yes, about two weeks ago I seriously thought about packing it in.

Take yesterday.

I posted a thread about lack of poppies being sold in my area. I was had abuse thrown at me which was racist , the Asian word begins with P and the Afro word begins with N. These 2 comments remained up for a good 15mins before they were removed.

I don't know how people feel the need to use such abuse and take enjoyment in posting it.

It's a shame as there will be lots of good information and help to be had if people didn't feel this way.

I used to be a fairly regular poster. I never posted offensive remarks, indeed I went out of my way to be helpful to folk.

There used to be many really good posters, often very funny, but they have all gone now. (with one notable exception who makes me laugh)

Then things seemed to change and a lot of posts became really nasty, especially when someone posted about what was to them a distressing or unpleasant event. There were too many posters who delighted in being unpleasantly argumentative, picking holes in the person's post just for the sake it. It is not dissimilar to what I hear about all the nastiness on Facebook et al.

So now I only post very occasionally.

Edited by Minimo
additional comment

There are some hostile individuals on the forum. I tend not to respond to their posts.

Hi I have stopped posting for that reason, even though I am on the forum all the time. The last topic I posted was about my moms funeral and I genuinely needed advice, most people were really nice and helpful but one comment was really horrible and put me off posting, even though there was a follow up to the original post as I put a complanint in and there was a discplinary action on the way I was treated by the funeral home, just saw this post and thought I bet there are lots of people who would like to start posting again but certain peoples comments put you off.:)

If you come here and want any level of sympathy, understanding or compassion, you may find it - but you'll have to wade through a mountain of rubbish first.