BT Infinity Issues

I keep getting slow downs between 4 in the evening to 12 at midnight.

I am a BT Infinity customer and am on their 70 Meg option, meaning because I am connecting wirelessly with a laptop, I am at the most getting around 40 Meg but that is in the morning till early Afternoon. After that it drops dramatically to around 10 Meg speed.

I have checked my software and hardware and it all seems to be perfectly fine, I have had BT engineer to my flat and checked the equipment and replaced all my modems free of charge but he did come at around 2 PM and that is when the speed is at its maximum and it did around 40 Meg and it all tested fine, but when he went a few hours later it fell to 10 Meg again, what the hell.

I would really love to know if there is any way I can get BT to fix this as it happens every single day at the same times, BT have done numerous speed and line checks and once they said there was a DLB problem and a network problem, they said they may need to re-send someone out to have another inspection but unlike the engineer that just checked in my property they said the other one will then check the cabinets, wouldn't you think the first engineer would do all this in one day, I mean really, what the hell are they paid for.

If things persist then I will need to cancel as this is shoddy, does any other provider anywhere use their own cables and hardware as I can see this thing happening no matter which provider I go with, it still uses BT hardware to the premises.

I live at the bottom of Hackenthorpe S12 area on Rainbow Road.

Edited by BEDROCK

Are you hammering downloads over P2P?

An alternative provider who has their own network is Origin broadband(running on the digital region network), they are also a local company.

Cheers Bonjon. We do indeed have a private fibre network that is seperate from the BT network and our connections are completely uncontended and unlimited. no peak times, traffic management, fair use or blocked ports.

So you are in a flat and wireless and the speed drops roughly when everyone else starts coming home and using the internet or other devices.

have you tried wired connection

have you checked for wireless interference

have you checked for electrical interference

I suggest you do these and see what you find, as if it is interference you will have same issues no matter which isp you are with unless you sort out what is causing it.

Remember even on the digital region network you can still have speed issues and just because it's separate to bt network doesnt mean it won't be affected.

remember the fastest point should always be to your isp, and once past there its down to the individual servers connecting to, how you connect, which route, how they configured, etc, etc

How can I check for interference, are there any special devices?

You can use, inSSIDer. Its a good source or information on any wireless issues.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

But as walkerx suggests as you begin to experience issues the first test you should complete is testing your connection wired directly into the router. If you still experience the same issues wired then you instantly rule out any wireless issues all together.

Kind Regards,

Origin

Edited by OriginB

If smartphone android/iphone download WiFi analyser and see if any others in same channel range as yours. How many WiFi connections are listed in your laptop or smartphone. Try using Ethernet from laptop to router for a couple of nights.

Some homehubs have wireless issues, similar to one of the routers that were supplied by an isp on digital region network.

bt only throttle p2p but if on infinity 2 everything else is throttled, uncapped unlike what others say on here. I stream from netflix and now tv on regular basis and have no problems. I also do a lot of downloading via steam.

no matter which isp you go for, just because someone else has had/received good/bad service does not mean you will get the same

If smartphone android/iphone download WiFi analyser and see if any others in same channel range as yours. How many WiFi connections are listed in your laptop or smartphone. Try using Ethernet from laptop to router for a couple of nights.

Some homehubs have wireless issues, similar to one of the routers that were supplied by an isp on digital region network.

bt only throttle p2p but if on infinity 2 everything else is throttled, uncapped unlike what others say on here. I stream from netflix and now tv on regular basis and have no problems. I also do a lot of downloading via steam.

no matter which isp you go for, just because someone else has had/received good/bad service does not mean you will get the same

Great app :cool:

yep - use it all the time for diagnostics

I have tried changing channels and doing tests on each one but they are always up and down from one extreme to the other.

I don't have a smartphone so I bit stuck really.

I have tried changing channels and doing tests on each one but they are always up and down from one extreme to the other.

I don't have a smartphone so I bit stuck really.

Have you tried a wired connection, if not try this and see what the results are

Just been in touch with Origin and signed up with them, chose the MAX option with basic phone so I sure hope it is worth the bother and money, just getting a MAC code from BT and cancelling with them, Origin said it would take around 3 weeks to fully be active with them.

Edited by BEDROCK