TC Harrisons London road

Good afternoon,

Anyone out there remember me, Roger Billam, I worked in the stores from 1966 till 1973.

I remember the ladies who worked in the office over the spares, Keith Mitten, Ron Wilman.

Tony Shaw in the stores, Roy Leggett, Geoff Hudson, Barry Fawcett went to Autoways as manager, Alan Tose, he sadly died, old Alf, I rember the day Pat died, very sad, she was lovely.

So many memories of that place, so many friends

i remenber both phil and bob i was at grimesthorpe junior school with phil do you know what they are doing now

Iwas at grimesthorpe and earl marshall with phil,we were good mates and hung around together for years but not seen him since about 1980.If you know phil you must know me .Jim.

I remember you Roger Billam I am one of the ladies who worked in the office above the stores. I remember all the people that you do as well. I got married in 1966 and had a great hen night after meeting up outside TCH . WE started off at the Zing Va and went to all the pubs on the way to the Sheaf on Archer road then back to the Zing va. Joan who was a van driver at the time drove me home allthough I can't really remember much about that. It was very sad the day Pat died and such a shock. Do you remember Ken Harrison the boss as well? It wasn't such a bad place was it loads of happy memories.

Sylvia

Does anybody know Arnold Ratcliffe ? I may be wrong but I think he worked there sometime in the 70s.

Hi..My sister worked at TC Harrison on London Rd I think must have been in the late 60s to early 70s because she married in 1970 when she was still working there...her name then was Ann Lockwood...she married John Thackeray who worked at the Shepcote Lane branch of TC Harrison....she worked in the offices and I think John did too..I know he did a while on the petrol pumps at shepcote lane too...I remember all the green shield stamps he used to collect when customers didnt collect or want them...I also remember Mr Harrison letting them have a Model T Ford car for their wedding...complete with driver....my dad said he felt such a fool sat in it going to the church with my sister...I reckon ann left around 71-72 when she had her first daughter...I remember her mentioning some names who she worked with..I remember david simmonite..someone called dorian..dont know his surname though...and a couple of girls who worked in the office with ann...who were on the wedding photos actually.....I will have to tell them about this thread...they will love it....

Sylvia, I remember you very well,you were a very attractive lady, if you don't mind me saying, I remember I saw you on London Road once, you were pushing a pram, we crossed over the pelican crossing outside TCH.

I think the boss was Ken Oldfield, I worked in the body stores for a while with Tom Sollitt before heading back to Boston Street.

I was the new lad, they made me stand in the loading bay and sing Christmas carols before taking up a collection for me.

I left about 1967/8 and went to Autoways for a year, Ken Oldfield persuaded me to go back, I married in 1973 and went to Kennings Chesterfield but returned to Autoways in 1977 as a Motorcraft Rep, made redundant in 1980, several jobs till I came to Derbyshire County Council in 1977, still here.

Strange thing, I still have part numbers going round my head, I used to see Roy Leggett on Woodseats, I called back from time to time saw old friends to reminisce. I also played for the football team.

Thanks Roger. I left in 1968 to have my first daughter so that would be who was in the pram. I think a lot of people went between Autoways and TCH both now long gone. I bought the car that I have now from what was TCH but it had changed to Lookers then but walking round the showroom brought lots of good memory's back to me. I can remember all the new lads having initiation ceremonies it was worse for the mechanics they got covered in oil :hihi: Ken Oldfield was a good boss really I was going to leave once for a better paid job and he got me a pay rise to keep me :love:

I remember when you went upstairs to your office you had to watch your head, the number of times I banged my head on the beams, not very health & safety conscious in those days. The first six months I was there I worked in the garage to learn all about car parts, I really stood out, I had to wear a pair of brown overalls.

I had forgotten all about that. The upstairs was all built of dexion and chipboard as you say health and safety wasn't an issue then. Good job I wasn't very tall or maybe that's why I got the job I was small enough to fit in the office.:)

---------- Post added 13-12-2012 at 11:07 ----------

Poppypoppy. I think that your sister must have worked in the same office as my sister in law ask her if she remembers Janet Hill.

He gave excellent customer service and nothing was too much trouble. Those days are gone now in dealerships.

Hi..My sister worked at TC Harrison on London Rd I think must have been in the late 60s to early 70s because she married in 1970 when she was still working there...her name then was Ann Lockwood...she married John Thackeray who worked at the Shepcote Lane branch of TC Harrison....she worked in the offices and I think John did too..I know he did a while on the petrol pumps at shepcote lane too...I remember all the green shield stamps he used to collect when customers didnt collect or want them...I also remember Mr Harrison letting them have a Model T Ford car for their wedding...complete with driver....my dad said he felt such a fool sat in it going to the church with my sister...I reckon ann left around 71-72 when she had her first daughter...I remember her mentioning some names who she worked with..I remember david simmonite..someone called dorian..dont know his surname though...and a couple of girls who worked in the office with ann...who were on the wedding photos actually.....I will have to tell them about this thread...they will love it....

I worked at T C H Shepcote from 1971 to 1976, Did John Thackery drive a green MGB GT?

I worked in the office above the spares department on Boston street from 1964-1968. I remember Ron Willman, Ken Oldfield, Keith Mitton, Keith Fawcett, Phil Ashmore van drivers Mick Green and Jackie Mcdermott who was married to mechanic John, Roger Hudson . Jack Selkald and his son Paul , Daryl Lynski. In the offices were Elaine Westnidge Pauline ?? there was a Pat Barker but she commited suicide that was so sad a day that I will never forget. I know a lot went to Shepcote Lane when that opened but some of them might have still been there when you were.

Hi Sylvia, I know this is this is a long shot but would you remember anyone at the Derby branch ..........