Advice Please landlord

I am currently renting a private property from a landlord ( or calls himself a landlord, this is his only property and he lets it to me) i have just discovered that he doesnt pay any fees or he hasnt declared he is renting his house to me, he hasnt put the bond i paid him into a scheme, he is still paying the morgage on it. He still has post coming to this address and ive been in the property for 6months.

He doesnt want to renew the tenancy on it after the year is up although i have done alot to the house such as plastered walls, decorated, etc. only proof i have that i rent the house is a transfer of money going from my account to his, which he also wants to stop because he believes they will catch him out, so he has asked see if he can collect the rent :hihi:.

Just a little advice to see where i stand

im am also wanting to move into a council house before the tenancy ends in may and dont want to go through the homeless route so want to do something about it before then. I am bidding and going through all the necessary channels to do so

Thanks for the advice

:):)

Sounds like you should be talking to someone at Citizen's Advice to get some proper advice.

Shelter are much better for specific housing issues.

If the landlord doesn't wish to renew your tenancy when it comes to an end though, that is up to him. You doing work for free does not give you any rights in that regard.

Did you sign a contract / tenancy agreement?

I'm not sure what your complaint is apart from him not using the escrow service for the bond.

If you think he's not declaring income that he should then you could report him to HMRC, but that's probably going to result in you loosing the tenancy sooner, not later.

Still paying a mortgage on a BTL isn't in any way unusual, I'm not sure what fee's you think he should be paying, he should be paying tax on any profit, but that's not a fee.

With regards to paying him directly into his account, and him wanting to stop it as 'they might catch him out' - who might? Are we talking HMRC? Hes not declaring it as an income and possibly pretending he lives there?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

He owns the house, not surprising he gets post. What fees do you think he should be paying? He no longer wants to rent it, fair enough, sounds like he has given you plenty of notice. Sounds like a decent chap to me, your just upset that he wants his house back.

okay thanks for the advice. I probably worded it wrong, i just wanted to know if it would affect me by the landlord renting his house out without declaring it to the right people also i thought it was strange that he wanted to stop the payments of transfers from the bank. no sarcastic comments please as im all new to this and have no clue of what the proceedures are.

okay thanks for the advice. I probably worded it wrong, i just wanted to know if it would affect me by the landlord renting his house out without declaring it to the right people also i thought it was strange that he wanted to stop the payments of transfers from the bank. no sarcastic comments please as im all new to this and have no clue of what the proceedures are.

He is letting you stay for your contract and not turfing you out is he?

About the decorating costs have a word and explain it to him and ask for a discount on remaining rent, if not than it's tuff.

About the deposit he has which is usually a months rent just don't pay rent for last month and tell him to keep the deposit in leu of the rent.

I know people struggling to get private rented places so really although a hassle you still have a few months to get another place sorted.

Also would be good to keep sweet with the landlord as having a good reference from him will be of benefit to you.

Good luck.

Theres a few issues in your post.

If the property is mortgaged, the landlord should have a buy to let mortgage. Alot dont, simply because it increases the mortgage repayments or because they may not have allowed it in the first place. The problem there is that if the lender isnt being paid in return and the owner runds up mortgage arrears,, the lender will think the owner lives there and the first the poor tenant will know about any eviction due to court reposession non payment of a mortgage is when a baliff knocks on the door to deliver an eviction date. So yes, id say that the landlord getting the post there IS possibly a problem!!

It sounds like your landlord hasnt protected your deposit, so if he serves you a notice (section21) its not valid unless he can prove hes protected it. retrospectively, you can take him to court for not protecting it and claim 3x the value as compensation.

Go to the CAB or Shelter, tske your tenancy agreement and get some proper advice on the tenancy you have etc and the procedure the landlord needs to take to remove you if you want to let it go that far.

I think your post of "moving into a council house in May" needs some advice too........that depends on your situation, whats available and your assessment.....

Edited by kaymarie