Landscape photographer of the year stripped of title !

I saw this and it raises a very interesting point. How much photoshopping is too much?

Nature and architectural photography has to be 'true' to the original as they are technical subjects but I thought landscape was open to interpetation.

It will be interesting in club competitions if judges take a similar view.

I dont 'photoshop', never learned how nor want to. It can produce a 'WOW' reaction but at the end of the day 'it aint real'. I just use the basic editing of Picaso or Kodak or Fuji progs. I dont get the spectacular results but I take it 'how it is'

There should be zero editing allowed, any fool can manipulate an image but it takes a truly great photographer to put in the time and effort to capture a one off shot deserved of a victory, and they should e pushing that.

i've a friend who will spend a whole week away from home camping in the hills to capture a certain scene, digital editing renders his efforts pointless.

I'd much rather see a "compromised" image from hin over one edited to death in the comfort of a warm room and comfy chair.

How much is too much? It depends whether you're creating an artistic image or aiming for an accurate representation of a scene - a historical moment if you will.

Personally if a competition is called a 'photography' competition then it is primarily about skill with a camera, but I wouldn't object to minor tweaks (minor in the sense as things that are applied across the image, such as tweaking levels).

I'd like to see comps that are about a final image being called something other that a photography comp, perhaps "imagery"?

Haha! Sounds like the scene in the film Calendar Girls, where a non domesticated woman forgets to bake a cake for the annual Womens Institute baking competition, so quickly buys one at the supermarket unwraps it and puts it on a plate with a bit of icing sugar. She is awarded first prize and has to go on stage to collect her prize, and tell all the women how she made her sponge so moist!!! Hahaha!

Perhaps the main issue was the judges had awared the image 1st prize. Who then decided it was not the winner?

Personally I think photographs for all competitions should all be sooc, it should be about the quality of the photograph not about how skilful you are at doctoring it with photoshop,

Edited by rev43

Although I do agree is principle that it's the photographers skill that counts, it is worth adding to this that many photographers, me included used to spend hours in darkrooms dodging and burning with bits of cardboard on sticks under the enlarger bulb.... Photoshop or lightroom is a different skill, but essentially does the same thing. Professional photographers have always manipulated images in terms of light. I don't agree with taking things out or putting them there and pretending you haven't, but the adjustments that have always been made can now be done with photoshop/lightroom and a host of others. I have seen some total rubbish from 'photographers' trying to use photoshop to enhance. It's not an easy thing to learn.It's just another tool in the toolkit

That's my point, then it not how skilful you are as a photographer but how good you are at using software to alter and doctor the image, it should only be about the quality of the photograph and nothing else because that's where the real skill lies.

I think all photographers entering these competitions should be subject to a drugs test.

There should be zero editing allowed, any fool can manipulate an image but it takes a truly great photographer to put in the time and effort to capture a one off shot deserved of a victory, and they should e pushing that.

i've a friend who will spend a whole week away from home camping in the hills to capture a certain scene, digital editing renders his efforts pointless.

I'd much rather see a "compromised" image from hin over one edited to death in the comfort of a warm room and comfy chair.

I once made similar comments and you would not believe the comments from so called "professional" photographers. (those who made money from it) I think i was actually called a Luddite IIRC.