Housekeepers in hotels

someone i know went for an interview with them last week was basically told they were paid £6.19 an hour, but were to clean 4 rooms an hour (including making bed), if not up to standard they would be sent back to 'finish' the job, which wouldn't count towards time worked

more worryingly, they were told (unfortunately not in writing) that they would be given a 3 month trial period, if either party ended the trial within 3 months they would have £60 deducted from their pay! I'm sure that's illegal at the best of times, but if you're on min wage then by deducting nearly 10 hours pay for work already done the pay received will be less than min wage

I've heard that practices similar to these are quite common at the unscrupulous end of the hotel industry so it's not just Travelodge. Many 'housekeepers' leave after a few weeks when they realise it's a scam and don't get paid at all.

---------- Post added 04-10-2013 at 22:42 ----------

My wife was there 5 weeks and was told to provide her own uniform, black tshirt n trousers n black shoes, no offer of uniform was stated onlg a badge was offered, also was told the training was 4 days yet when someone else started they only did 3 days training, also there is no moving or handling or health and safety in this work force, they was ordered to flip and a turn the matresses on their own not only was they ordered to do this on their own but they was ordered to do it on a sunday which is their buisiest day, they do not employ a porter as they expect the housekeepers to do it all, the iss and travelodge are taking advantage of these workers because they know the staff are desperate for work so they wont kick off about it, my wife was the only one who has walked out and let them know and also has had the nerve to stand up to her rights

People are being seriously exploited these days because of their desperation to get a job. I wonder, with the new unemployment rules coming in, what would happen if you refused a job at a place like this, or left because you were being exploited. Would that be regarded as refusing to work?

People should blow the whistle (loud and often) on these employers, until the practice is stopped.

---------- Post added 04-10-2013 at 22:47 ----------

When was this?

I really dont understand how this worked. The NMW act has been in force since 1999. Everyone had to have a minimum hourly rate.

It's a bit niave to think that the law protects people these days. People who are desperate to work will simply not get a job, or keep a job if they complain - After all there's plenty more where they came from.

---------- Post added 04-10-2013 at 22:55 ----------

You seem to be very naive. Maybe you are young without much experience of the world. Maybe you have worked in the public sector, or very good private sector employer all your life, therefore not experienced employers like this before. Either way I found your reply to this thread extremely offensive and unhelpful for those that wanted help. They did not deserve a lecture insinuating that they are wrong.

My wife also works for the same Company "travel lodge" through the agency ISS.

And yes THEY DO PAY below national minimum wage. the minimum wage is now being £6.31 as of October this year. According to http://acas.org.uk cleaners are not exempt from the National Minimum Wage.

The way travel lodge get around the law is by out sourcing to ISS. The way ISS get around the law is to, write a "contract" stating the worker is paid national minimum wage but on 0 hours contract.

Now when a worker does their shift, they will get paid per room at a very low rate with the target of 15 mins per room. So if you worked for 4 hours but only cleaned 8 rooms (which is a realistic target) you will only get paid for he target time 8 rooms x 15 mins = 2 hours.

Of cause it's illegal, but who will hold them to account? They can't go to a tribunal or do an ET1 form as they would not fit the criteria, citizens advice are powerless, and although technically a criminal offense the police would not take any action.

It leaves the 0 hours worker pretty stuffed. They can complain (likely fruitless) or go to a solicitor and pay him for 1 hours work at £60 (30 travel lodge / ISS hours) and try to get what is owed . But they are do not have contracted hours. A worker who complains will likely have the 0 hour contract fulfilled and not work in the future.

I have currently started self employment and asked my wife to work extra to bridge the gap until my business is holding it's own. But after 4 weeks of employment at approx 20 hours a week. My wife has earned under £200 before deductions. Job-seekers allowance is £71 afaik. ( the minimum the government considers you can survive on).

Anyway I am currently looking at the payslip vs the hours worked and we will be taking some kind of action. I wrote this post to give some information to the poor people that find themselves also exploited by this system. I for one will NEVER EVER use Travel Lodge again and neither will any of my family.

I suggest contacting you local MP. You can find there details and email address here. http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/

Enter your post code of your home address.

and you should get a link to your MP's website or email address

http://www.paulblomfield.co.uk/

CONTACT THEM! And tell them the situation.

Luckily in Sheffield there is a lack of Tory MPs. so you should get a more sympathetic labor or lib-dem MP. If you are in Nick Cleggs constituency.. Please really shout about this.

Also use the http://acas.org.uk website for free and correct advice.

Or call the number below.

Helpline number: 08457 47 47 47

Monday-Friday: 8am-8pm and Saturday 9am-1pm

Interesting link below.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1873

An excellent post!

I've been banging on about these 'non jobs' and 0 hours jobs for ages, but been shouted down because people just don't believe it. We need to hear of more real life experiences from people who are having to live it.

Care workers are another group often up for exploitation. I've heard quite a few exploitation stories from them as well.

Dazzy your thread makes me roor.

We have Cameron standing up telling us he is going to stop benefits and at the same time we have what can only be described as slavery in this Country.

Perhaps the Daily Mail will take an interest in your wifes story or even nearer home The Star or radio Sheffield.

Mind you we will not hold our breath.