Housekeepers in hotels

Oh wow ricky doesnt take much to make you happy, with the sounds of it you must stay in slums, her job involved from opening the curtains wiping the windows and sills and sides wardrobe tv radiator tops of door frames mirrors then hoovering the floors pulling rhe bed out which is not on wheels btw hoovering under the bed under the settee stripping the bed and making it back up also putting sheets on the pull out bed putting a new duvet ok the wardrobe for the guest bed fresh towels filling tea caddy up n washing cups and kettle out, disinfecting the whole bath toilet and sink and wiping the mirror and side down mopping the floor cleaning out the toilet cus they never leave a loo brush in the bathroom so if someone poos then their will be extrement all over the loo, so if you can do all this is 15 mins and do it 21 times 5 hours then the job is yours, just dont forget to buy your own uniform pump up on steroids and are skint and dont mind working for pennies go for it

I never knew this was the case. I assumed these cleaners are employees and would get minimum wage (at least). This is discusting.

From now on I am going to make sure I tip the cleaner with what ever I can. Even if its just a quid.

I cant believe in 2012 they are getting £1.50 per room. They should be getting an hourly wage if they work 1 hour then they should get £6.13, its not their fault if somebody leaves a room in a right state and it takes longer for the room to be cleaned.

Oh wow ricky doesnt take much to make you happy, with the sounds of it you must stay in slums, her job involved from opening the curtains wiping the windows and sills and sides wardrobe tv radiator tops of door frames mirrors then hoovering the floors pulling rhe bed out which is not on wheels btw hoovering under the bed under the settee stripping the bed and making it back up also putting sheets on the pull out bed putting a new duvet ok the wardrobe for the guest bed fresh towels filling tea caddy up n washing cups and kettle out, disinfecting the whole bath toilet and sink and wiping the mirror and side down mopping the floor cleaning out the toilet cus they never leave a loo brush in the bathroom so if someone poos then their will be extrement all over the loo, so if you can do all this is 15 mins and do it 21 times 5 hours then the job is yours, just dont forget to buy your own uniform pump up on steroids and are skint and dont mind working for pennies go for it

I reckon an average healthy adult could do all that in 5 minutes, which means 12 rooms an hour should be achievable.

12 time £1.50 equals an hourly rate of £18.00 which I reckon is pretty good for unskilled work.

I reckon an average healthy adult could do all that in 5 minutes, which means 12 rooms an hour should be achievable.

12 time £1.50 equals an hourly rate of £18.00 which I reckon is pretty good for unskilled work.

Is there something wrong with you?how can you do all that to the high standard they want in the amount of time provided.they do not pay you £18 an hour that would be a pretty good wage.it is minimum wage a minimum of 4 rooms.busy times = more rooms for the same money.

This is why Eastern Europeans come to England......English people are "too good" for such jobs

Is there something wrong with you?how can you do all that to the high standard they want in the amount of time provided.they do not pay you £18 an hour that would be a pretty good wage.it is minimum wage a minimum of 4 rooms.busy times = more rooms for the same money.

Read the OP's post again. He says that at Travelodge they get paid £1.45 a room so you have to clean 4 room an hour to get minimum wage. As far as I know, there is no maximum wage so the more rooms you clean per hour the more you get paid.

Read the OP's post again. He says that at Travelodge they get paid £1.45 a room so you have to clean 4 room an hour to get minimum wage. As far as I know, there is no maximum wage so the more rooms you clean per hour the more you get paid.

It is minimum wage however many rooms you clean.slow day would be four others which would be weekends would be more rooms per hour.Still at minimum wage.That is what i got told.It is nowhere near as simple as what your saying.bearing in mind not everyone is not considerate and wreck the room and you have to pick things up like condoms and clean poo off bogs it really is a hard job.making the bed is hard enough in itself.Come on who enjoys changing duvet covers?

I never knew this was the case. I assumed these cleaners are employees and would get minimum wage (at least). This is discusting.

From now on I am going to make sure I tip the cleaner with what ever I can. Even if its just a quid.

I cant believe in 2012 they are getting £1.50 per room. They should be getting an hourly wage if they work 1 hour then they should get £6.13, its not their fault if somebody leaves a room in a right state and it takes longer for the room to be cleaned.

the cleaners get paid £6.19 per hour but are expected to clean 4.2 rooms per hour which id feasable as i explained before

pnce the cleaners get the rooms up to standard then keeping them in that condition isnt very hard at all

and as i said previously some rooms are stay overs which just need the beds straightening and the bins emptying and any used toiletries replaced

all this can easily be done in under 10 minutes which give the cleaner more time one the departs

Rickie at what point do you not understand its not £18, my wife worked 5 hours for a payment of 12 rooms, £1.30 if that a room, how rude of tou to say unskilled, my wife once cleaned a room and it took her under an hour and she got £1.30 because the people who was in it was students and it was a right mess, just the litter alone took her 3 times in a lift to get down stairs filling the lift completely, thy had made noodles in the kettles and pooped all down the side of the toilet, would you clean someones room and bathroom for £1.25 even if it took u an hour?

Yes tony i agree however the stay overs do not get shared out equally!!! Which meant it was always a friend of the boss who got the stay overs, as for the keeping on top of the tidying and the rooms are not that bad if kept clean is bs, how would you like to go into a room and finding hairs from the previous guest, yeah ok its the cleaners fault but your sticking up for the iss and how they pay to clean the rooms yet it still does not change the fac the cleaners do not get enough time to do the rooms and should be on a minimum wage, they may aswell get the slave labour out and make them work for peanuts, btw if its that great and you keep backing the iss its funnt how when the iss get called in for a meeting with the hotel they book a seperate hotel because of the reputation of travellodge, if i was employing my staff there and was proud of what they did and what i believed i would stay in the same hotel, my wife started there and within a few days witnessed staff arguements with the managements and sacking and walk out

Yes tony i agree however the stay overs do not get shared out equally!!! Which meant it was always a friend of the boss who got the stay overs, as for the keeping on top of the tidying and the rooms are not that bad if kept clean is bs, how would you like to go into a room and finding hairs from the previous guest, yeah ok its the cleaners fault but your sticking up for the iss and how they pay to clean the rooms yet it still does not change the fac the cleaners do not get enough time to do the rooms and should be on a minimum wage, they may aswell get the slave labour out and make them work for peanuts, btw if its that great and you keep backing the iss its funnt how when the iss get called in for a meeting with the hotel they book a seperate hotel because of the reputation of travellodge, if i was employing my staff there and was proud of what they did and what i believed i would stay in the same hotel, my wife started there and within a few days witnessed staff arguements with the managements and sacking and walk out

the stay overs cannot be shared equally as each cleaner is given a floor to sort out so to split the stay overs equally would mean each cleaner would be up and down between various floors

if the cleaners are being favoured by the head housekeeper then they need to complain to management as this shouldnt be happening

travelodge in town (central) is currently having all staff retrained including the head housekeeper as theyre not up to standard

as for finding hairs in 'cleaned' rooms this shouldnt ever happen if the rooms are cleaned properly

i do agree to some point that its slave labour as yes the moneys not good but theres other jobs out there that are just as physical as this one and they too are on minimum wage so at the end of the day your either up for the job or your not

some staff come and go but then theres the ones that do stay and actually enjoy their job

as for iss using other hotels i cannot comment on that as i know nothing about that :|

Source? Unless these housekeepers are self employed they must be on some sort of salaried or hourly rate. If not that's against the law.

If they are told they are expected to clean a room in just 15 minutes that's different. That's nothing unusual as its what most housekeepers are expected to do. How do you think a large hotel gets cleaned between a guest checking out at 11.00 and another one wanting to get checked in from 2.00 onwards?

The point is I really dont beleive they only get paid per number of rooms they do. Like I say, the NMW Act is in force for everyone and I am certain that a company such as Travelodge are going to breach UK law.

If their hourly rate is £6.09 or whatever then whether they clean 2 rooms or 12 an hour - that's what the law says they get paid (pre-tax obviously).

Something does not add up here.

You seem to be very naive. Maybe you are young without much experience of the world. Maybe you have worked in the public sector, or very good private sector employer all your life, therefore not experienced employers like this before. Either way I found your reply to this thread extremely offensive and unhelpful for those that wanted help. They did not deserve a lecture insinuating that they are wrong.

My wife also works for the same Company "travel lodge" through the agency ISS.

And yes THEY DO PAY below national minimum wage. the minimum wage is now being £6.31 as of October this year. According to http://acas.org.uk cleaners are not exempt from the National Minimum Wage.

The way travel lodge get around the law is by out sourcing to ISS. The way ISS get around the law is to, write a "contract" stating the worker is paid national minimum wage but on 0 hours contract.

Now when a worker does their shift, they will get paid per room at a very low rate with the target of 15 mins per room. So if you worked for 4 hours but only cleaned 8 rooms (which is a realistic target) you will only get paid for he target time 8 rooms x 15 mins = 2 hours.

Of cause it's illegal, but who will hold them to account? They can't go to a tribunal or do an ET1 form as they would not fit the criteria, citizens advice are powerless, and although technically a criminal offense the police would not take any action.

It leaves the 0 hours worker pretty stuffed. They can complain (likely fruitless) or go to a solicitor and pay him for 1 hours work at £60 (30 travel lodge / ISS hours) and try to get what is owed . But they are do not have contracted hours. A worker who complains will likely have the 0 hour contract fulfilled and not work in the future.

I have currently started self employment and asked my wife to work extra to bridge the gap until my business is holding it's own. But after 4 weeks of employment at approx 20 hours a week. My wife has earned under £200 before deductions. Job-seekers allowance is £71 afaik. ( the minimum the government considers you can survive on).

Anyway I am currently looking at the payslip vs the hours worked and we will be taking some kind of action. I wrote this post to give some information to the poor people that find themselves also exploited by this system. I for one will NEVER EVER use Travel Lodge again and neither will any of my family.

I suggest contacting you local MP. You can find there details and email address here. http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/

Enter your post code of your home address.

and you should get a link to your MP's website or email address

http://www.paulblomfield.co.uk/

CONTACT THEM! And tell them the situation.

Luckily in Sheffield there is a lack of Tory MPs. so you should get a more sympathetic labor or lib-dem MP. If you are in Nick Cleggs constituency.. Please really shout about this.

Also use the http://acas.org.uk website for free and correct advice.

Or call the number below.

Helpline number: 08457 47 47 47

Monday-Friday: 8am-8pm and Saturday 9am-1pm

Interesting link below.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1873