Housekeepers in hotels

someone i know went for an interview with them last week was basically told they were paid £6.19 an hour, but were to clean 4 rooms an hour (including making bed), if not up to standard they would be sent back to 'finish' the job, which wouldn't count towards time worked

more worryingly, they were told (unfortunately not in writing) that they would be given a 3 month trial period, if either party ended the trial within 3 months they would have £60 deducted from their pay! I'm sure that's illegal at the best of times, but if you're on min wage then by deducting nearly 10 hours pay for work already done the pay received will be less than min wage

the reason for the deduction would be to cover the costs of the uniform provided which would never get reused by the company

all this is explained in detail during the interview

plausible, except they were told a uniform wouldn't be provided, they were simply told to wear black trousers and white shirt...

all sounds very dubious to me, but a natural byproduct of 'ryanair economics' - we, the public, want cheap hotel rooms (and yes i always try to get in for the travelodge £10 sales...). Travelodge provide cheap hotel rooms, to do so they need to keep costs to an absolute minimum, so they tender the cleaning to the rock-bottom bidder. Said bidder then in turn has to keep their costs down so works the employees to the bone. All legal, until such time as it becomes impossible to complete the work in the designated paid time, at which point the actual paid rate dips below minimum wage

the uniform is provided after a few weeks once the company and employee are both happy that they want to stay there its pointless ordering a new starter a uniform after their first few days as they could leave like some do if they decide they dont like/wantthe job or are unsuitable for the job

My wife was there 5 weeks and was told to provide her own uniform, black tshirt n trousers n black shoes, no offer of uniform was stated onlg a badge was offered, also was told the training was 4 days yet when someone else started they only did 3 days training, also there is no moving or handling or health and safety in this work force, they was ordered to flip and a turn the matresses on their own not only was they ordered to do this on their own but they was ordered to do it on a sunday which is their buisiest day, they do not employ a porter as they expect the housekeepers to do it all, the iss and travelodge are taking advantage of these workers because they know the staff are desperate for work so they wont kick off about it, my wife was the only one who has walked out and let them know and also has had the nerve to stand up to her rights

My wife was there 5 weeks and was told to provide her own uniform, black tshirt n trousers n black shoes, no offer of uniform was stated onlg a badge was offered, also was told the training was 4 days yet when someone else started they only did 3 days training, also there is no moving or handling or health and safety in this work force, they was ordered to flip and a turn the matresses on their own not only was they ordered to do this on their own but they was ordered to do it on a sunday which is their buisiest day, they do not employ a porter as they expect the housekeepers to do it all, the iss and travelodge are taking advantage of these workers because they know the staff are desperate for work so they wont kick off about it, my wife was the only one who has walked out and let them know and also has had the nerve to stand up to her rights

This is very true.I went for the job was told to wear a black top,black trousers and shoes.A badge is all i was going to get.The £60 was just taken out of the wages if i left or they sacked me.No mention of paying for a uniform.I was not told any hours of work i was told it would be 4 rooms an hour but weekends would be busy and would involve more rooms per hour.I would have been working weekends.I decided not to take the job because a lot of it didnt seem right.

Having stayed in a few Travelodges myself I'm quite surprised that it would take as long as 15 minutes to clean a room - they're about as basic and spartan as you can get!

All the cleaner needs to do is chuck the towels in a basket, flatten the pillows and quilt on the bed then replenish the bogroll, tea and coffee. Flush the bog, open a window and you're done!

If you can't do that in 15 minutes there's something wrong.

Having stayed in a few Travelodges myself I'm quite surprised that it would take as long as 15 minutes to clean a room - they're about as basic and spartan as you can get!

All the cleaner needs to do is chuck the towels in a basket, flatten the pillows and quilt on the bed then replenish the bogroll, tea and coffee. Flush the bog, open a window and you're done!

So they dont clean the shower,toilet,sink,floor,hoover,wipe surfaces,strip the bed make the bed etc?The point is 4 is the minimum rooms per hour.extra rooms means less than 15 minutes per room.

Dazzy i don`t blame your wife for walking out.

I wouldn`t work for them cos they are breaching health and safety by expecting housekeepers to turn mattresses on their own.

I know because I used to work for premier inn and was always told it takes 2 to turn a heavy mattress,there pay was per room when i was there, now it has gone to minimum wage.

Its not the best job in the world but made some good friends

No, it's these people who employ illegal immigrants and blackmail them. They employed hundreds of illegal migrants as junior staff members such as cleaners then management pocketed their wages and blackmailed them not to say anything by threatening to report them to immigration services.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1229450/Hospital-cleaning-bosses-major-firm-arrested-blackmailing-illegal-immigrant-staff.html

What a shower, if I was your wife I would be looking to go elsewhere.

If you were my wife I would have left already:hihi:

What's up Rickie, can you not flush the toilet, plus perhaps you'd

like to have a go at doing 4 rooms an hour. I'll give you 6/4 you couldn't do it

Travelodge uses a contractor called iss now and the rate is£1.25 fir a new starter and £1.45 for someone that has been there a while, like i said if they want minimum wage they have to be quick and complete 4 rooms per

Hour,they do not get any assistance at all. It is impossible to do this amount of cleaning to the standard they need in such short time, travelodge pays £2.00 per room to be cleaned which they get that £1.25, we have tried to go to acas but somehow they are managing to rip off these workers. My wife cleaned 16 rooms and got paid £19 she had broke her back to clean them in space of 4.30 hours and the management sent her back to hoover the rooms with a broken hoover, as for the tips the housekeepers do not get any of that. The hotel keep it.

Thats not on, sending her back to clean a room with a broken hoover AND a broken back.:D