Housekeepers in hotels

My wife worked in the travelodge hotel in the city centre and i just waned to share with you how much graft these housekeepers have to do, people think that these people who work in hotels and clean them are lazy and cannot be bothered, what would you say if i told that these housekeepers get only £1.45 if that a room, and only 15 mins to clean the rooms, there is only 1 cleaner per floor and this does not even pay the minimum wage, if they want to earn the minimum wage they have to clean 4 rooms and dress them up for the next guest in space of an hour just to get the minimum wage, so please spare a thought for the ppl whi work like this and get ripped off, its not the housekeepers ripping you off its the hotels and the cleaning company, these rooms would be spotless if they was given the time needed to clean them

I always tip when I leave a hotel....Between £5 to £20 (or more) depending on the room//location/how long of stay/etc

I for one have never thought the housekeepers are lazy, knew the pay was not good,but thats an eye opener.

I for one have never thought the housekeepers are lazy, knew the pay was not good,but thats an eye opener.

Same here. Thanks to the OP for highlighting this disgrace.

How can this be legal if its below minimum wage?

My wife worked in the travelodge hotel in the city centre and i just waned to share with you how much graft these housekeepers have to do, people think that these people who work in hotels and clean them are lazy and cannot be bothered, what would you say if i told that these housekeepers get only £1.45 if that a room, and only 15 mins to clean the rooms, there is only 1 cleaner per floor and this does not even pay the minimum wage, if they want to earn the minimum wage they have to clean 4 rooms and dress them up for the next guest in space of an hour just to get the minimum wage, so please spare a thought for the ppl whi work like this and get ripped off, its not the housekeepers ripping you off its the hotels and the cleaning company, these rooms would be spotless if they was given the time needed to clean them

Source? Unless these housekeepers are self employed they must be on some sort of salaried or hourly rate. If not that's against the law.

If they are told they are expected to clean a room in just 15 minutes that's different. That's nothing unusual as its what most housekeepers are expected to do. How do you think a large hotel gets cleaned between a guest checking out at 11.00 and another one wanting to get checked in from 2.00 onwards?

The point is I really dont beleive they only get paid per number of rooms they do. Like I say, the NMW Act is in force for everyone and I am certain that a company such as Travelodge are going to breach UK law.

If their hourly rate is £6.09 or whatever then whether they clean 2 rooms or 12 an hour - that's what the law says they get paid (pre-tax obviously).

Something does not add up here.

Edited by ECCOnoob

I totally agree with u I used to work at premier inn and I used to get paid £2.03 per room and we to only got a specific amount of time to clean rooms which in some cases depending on what the guest was like that was in certain rooms it was just impossible to be able to clean some rooms to a high standard in the time given. Although I know that the housekeepers at premier inn now get paid hourly and think they shud at every hotel.

Dont think Travel Lodge rip me off at £15 for a night....though the rooms are a bit crap

I totally agree with u I used to work at premier inn and I used to get paid £2.03 per room and we to only got a specific amount of time to clean rooms which in some cases depending on what the guest was like that was in certain rooms it was just impossible to be able to clean some rooms to a high standard in the time given. Although I know that the housekeepers at premier inn now get paid hourly and think they shud at every hotel.

When was this?

I really dont understand how this worked. The NMW act has been in force since 1999. Everyone had to have a minimum hourly rate.

When was this?

I really dont understand how this worked. The NMW act has been in force since 1999. Everyone had to have a minimum hourly rate.

I worked there 2004-2008 and i got paid £2.04 per room.

Ah right. That makes sense.

Its reminds me of when I was a hotel barman as a student and I used to get about £16.00 for working overnight 12 hours friday/sat.

One point you failed to mention is that most of the time, especially during busy times, there will be one person, often the supervisor that will soley be allocated to stripping and making all the beds. That is a huge part of servicing a bedroom... the rest can be done in 15 minutes