Berkley Precinct Parking Fine

I received one of these from Berkeley Precinct some months back. After 5 minutes parking there was an unfortunate accident whereby an elderly guy was knocked down and received severe leg injuries. The paramedics couldn't move him for over an hour and no cars were able to enter or leave the car park. After no sign of movement I decided to go to a local cafe as I had my young kids with me and they needed to be fed and watered. On return I went 17 minutes over the 2 hours.

I was amazed that even providing links to the accident both appeals have failed. There's no way I'm going to pay as I couldn't actually leave the car park! My only concern is that I don't want any ccj's as I may be applying for a mortgage in the next year or two.

They are not fines, they are invoices. You should not contact, appeal them, do nothing, ignore it. If you start engaging with them, they are entering into a contract with them and then they have you. Give them nothing, especially not your family name.

They are not fines, they are invoices. You should not contact, appeal them, do nothing, ignore it. If you start engaging with them, they are entering into a contract with them and then they have you. Give them nothing, especially not your family name.

This is very poor advice showing "freeman on the land traits", you are not entering into a contract by contacting them, where did you get such rubbish from?

You have already "breached the contract so to speak", if you do nothing Excel/VCS can and do sue a lot now.

The family name you bring up also shows another useless freeman on the land trait. They already have the keepers names through the DVLA

Very poor advice, the person needs to go through the proper channels and appeal, they can only get the vehicle keepers details from the DVLA and have no proof who was driving. The Money Saving Expert and Pepipoo websites both have lots of info and advice that's easy to follow. You won't have to pay or end up with CCJ's if you go about it correctly.

Very poor advice, the person needs to go through the proper channels and appeal, they can only get the vehicle keepers details from the DVLA and have no proof who was driving. The Money Saving Expert and Pepipoo websites both have lots of info and advice that's easy to follow. You won't have to pay or end up with CCJ's if you go about it correctly.

It doesnt matter who was driving in most circumstances. The keeper is liable

As per all the other replies, just ignore the letters. Private firms can only issue invoices, regardless how they title them. They can in theory take you to court to try and get judgement against you but they simply won't bother. One thing you shouldn't do is identify the driver as the notice has to be issued to the driver, not the owner of the vehicle. We get these all the time while carrying out legitimate work and just ignore every one! The only ones that are enforceable are council issued ones. Also private firms cannot clamp anymore.

Check out http://www.moneysavingexpert.com and search for the relevant details.

The invoice would have been sent to the registered keeper of the vehicle.Who, since the law was changed,has to name the driver of the vehicle.If this is not done and the Parking Company does decide to go to court,then the registered keeper will be the one who has to go.

The invoice would have been sent to the registered keeper of the vehicle.Who, since the law was changed,has to name the driver of the vehicle.If this is not done and the Parking Company does decide to go to court,then the registered keeper will be the one who has to go.

False, they do not have to name the driver.

Quite right how can anybody think parking companys can demand anything

It doesn't fall under the road traffic act as it is privately owned. Therefore no obligation to name the driver, despite the numerous threatening letters they may send.

If the registered keeper does not name the driver, the registered keeper will be the one who will be taken to court if the Parking Company does decide to take matters further.Please check your facts and then post your apology.

If the registered keeper does not name the driver, the registered keeper will be the one who will be taken to court if the Parking Company does decide to take matters further.Please check your facts and then post your apology.

Utter rubbish, you need to check your facts. The parking space does not form part of the highway, hence does not fall under the road traffic act. No obligation whatsoever to name the driver, it's an invoice, not a fine.

That is only if the company adheres to the Protection of Freedom Act 2012. In the case of VCS/Excel they don't and try to bluff people into folding by quoting the 1982 criminal case of Elliot v Loake which had a wealth of Police and forensic evidence to prove that the defendant was the driver.

With regard to any old tickets that have been resurrected by Leeds company BW Legal on behalf of VCS/Excel (they are owned by the same people) it is incorrect to say just ignore. They are trying to get default judgements by them not being defended, hoping that people have moved house etc. The first people know about the judgements is when they apply for a mobile phone or similar and fail a credit check.

If anyone gets a ticket from a private parking company they need to be getting proper advice on either the Pepipoo, Parking Prankster or MSE websites- not posting on here where, it's fair to say, the advice while perhaps well-meaning is usually inaccurate and nearly always wrong.

Utter rubbish, you need to check your facts. The parking space does not form part of the highway, hence does not fall under the road traffic act. No obligation whatsoever to name the driver, it's an invoice, not a fine.

No its not utter rubbish at all, but if you dont name the driver and ignore etc etc, then under POFA 2012 the keeper can and will be sued.

Since you spouted freeman on the land rubbish earlier you can be safely discounted

---------- Post added 22-10-2016 at 17:22 ----------

That is only if the company adheres to the Protection of Freedom Act 2012. In the case of VCS/Excel they don't and try to bluff people into folding by quoting the 1982 criminal case of Elliot v Loake which had a wealth of Police and forensic evidence to prove that the defendant was the driver.

With regard to any old tickets that have been resurrected by Leeds company BW Legal on behalf of VCS/Excel (they are owned by the same people) it is incorrect to say just ignore. They are trying to get default judgements by them not being defended, hoping that people have moved house etc. The first people know about the judgements is when they apply for a mobile phone or similar and fail a credit check.

If anyone gets a ticket from a private parking company they need to be getting proper advice on either the Pepipoo, Parking Prankster or MSE websites- not posting on here where, it's fair to say, the advice while perhaps well-meaning is usually inaccurate and nearly always wrong.

Plenty of snakes in the grass on some of those "sites",