Berkley Precinct Parking Fine

If the case has been to court they can legally collect the money with debt collectors?

Only if it's been to court, being so old it's not going to have been to court.

A debt collection company will have just bought a list of names and started writing threatening letters, they will say whatever they want to scare people into paying.

I recently got parking notice at Tesco Ecclesall Rd

When I returned to car, battery was flat so I stayed over 2 hrs as had to go home to collect another battery

Appealed against this but appeal rejected

No I doubt it's been to court. So I just ignore them again? This is a Leeds based firm who sound far more professional than the other lot. I'm certainly not paying twice

So I just ignore them again?

Yes 100%

You would have received court papers through the post if it had been taken to court, which obviously it hasn't.

If it had been to court they would have made specific mention to the case.

I've had 2 such 'parking notices' in the past year.

I received one for parking at Centretainment, must have been a year ago now. After receiving a few letters over a couple of months I've received nothing for 6 months at least.

The other was for parking on a business park in Wakefield. I parked there for 5 minutes whilst taking a phone call. My most recent letter was a couple of weeks ago, giving me until the 16th October to pay OR ELSE!!!!!

On each occasion I've NEVER replied. I keep the letters just in case. They are invoices, not fines and the only way they can enforce them is to take you to court. If they do that, by law you have to be informed of the court date so you can attend.

One note - I've heard instances of people being taken to court (not necessarily for parking notices) and they didn't know, either the court letter was never received or they moved house. Next thing a judgement is made and they end up with a CCJ on their credit file.

So just beware

We had one of these next to that temporary wall during renovations at Cineworld. Both signs with instructions were inside that wall and I told them we discuss it in court. They try to make it sound like as if they can send debt collectors and then mention they may possibly take it to court as well.

Very clever.

I wrote to them that they are not a legal judge and have no right to treat me as a criminal and if they continue I will sue for harassment.

The advice to ignore has long since passed with a private company actually winning a case against a driver who used the claim that the fine was unlawful (Parking Eye v Beavis) there are still ways to combat them and I have an appeal decision pending at the moment.

DO NOT JUST IGNORE BUT EQUALLY DO NOT PAY.

These companies make and apply their own home made rules and have to display these rules clearly everywhere you can park. Also if someone has a real valid excuse or explanation why he/she broke these homemade rules a court will be understanding.

With all fairness if you see how certain people park at Cineworld I sometimes feel thankful towards these private ticket companies.

These companies make and apply their own home made rules and have to display these rules clearly everywhere you can park. Also if someone has a real valid excuse or explanation why he/she broke these homemade rules a court will be understanding.

With all fairness if you see how certain people park at Cineworld I sometimes feel thankful towards these private ticket companies.

You don't need to go to court they are unenforcable invoices, you just need to do a bit of homework to repeal them.

Perhaps the fault at Cineworld is that the parking is inadequate.

I received one of these from Berkeley Precinct some months back. After 5 minutes parking there was an unfortunate accident whereby an elderly guy was knocked down and received severe leg injuries. The paramedics couldn't move him for over an hour and no cars were able to enter or leave the car park. After no sign of movement I decided to go to a local cafe as I had my young kids with me and they needed to be fed and watered. On return I went 17 minutes over the 2 hours.

I was amazed that even providing links to the accident both appeals have failed. There's no way I'm going to pay as I couldn't actually leave the car park! My only concern is that I don't want any ccj's as I may be applying for a mortgage in the next year or two.