Plusnet free internet con?

I believe that Plusnet is 'owned' by BT Group plc.

As for the router, I am with a different ISP who also said I needed to use their router which they provided. The differnce being there was no charge and I could install it myself or pay for them to install it (which I declined).

However I found this router did not meet my requirements and have used my own router with no problems. Why it costs £60 to plug a couple of plugs in sockets and, maybe, run an instalation program is beyond me.

Edited by Phili Buster

I believe that Plusnet is 'owned' by BT Group plc.

It is indeed.

They are supposedly still an autonomous unit, but I noticed the changes in the marketing and pricing of packages that came in after they had been bought out.

OP I assume you have broadband already? If you do, you will be paying your line rental anyway - how does plusnet compare with your current provider?

I agree the installation fee does seem a little mean considering it's a prize. Really not what I expected from PlusNet.

I am a PlusNet customer and have been for years and they are a top company for customer service.

The OP did say they would have to pay for a cable line rental, so I guess they have it through the phone now and that would have to be paid to a different company than currently used.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

It doesn't sound like a rip-off to me. You would have to pay line rental (assuming you have a land-line phone) anyway so you're not really paying any more for that and I'm guessing the £60.00 is for the installation of a wireless router which sounds like a fair price if someone is going to come over, configure it and connect your laptop to it.

The internet part is free. I certainly wouldn't turn it down. In fact I use plusnet - I've found them great and I get £6.00 a month off my bill forever because I've referred 6 people. A friend of mine actually gets paid to have Plusnet broadband because he's referred so many people, so every month he gets a direct debit into his account instead of having to pay them.

I have been with Plusnet for almost a year, its the cheapest I can find and I've had no problems with them. I was paying £16.23 a month (£12.99 line rental and £3.24 for broadband) but I save 50p a month for recommending a family member :D

I believe the 'free internet' is not false advertising. The 'internet' is free, it's the phone line rental you are paying for. Did you already have an active phone line? I was not charged any installation fee because I have a BT line which had only recently stopped being used by the previous tenant. The £60 installation charge may be for this. The only fee I paid was £4.99 for postage and packaging for my free wireless modem.

Yes really. I was at your Online event at the Town Hall two weeks ago (Wednesday) Jennifer Ellison was also their on behalf of Plusnet.

Suspected that would be the case. More info here for anyone interested.

I entered your prize draw. I was quite please that I had won the internet package but sadly that turned to dismay when I got a call from your colleague, R.Armstrong stating the above. She said to me that I would have to pay the £60 installation fee? as well as the £13.99

Leave it with me and I'll see what I can do ...

Edit: Did you receive a letter from us detailing what you'd won? I'm led to believe the terms of the offer were explained in this to avoid any surprises when it came to signing up?

Best regards,

Edited by bpullen

I had a similar con. I won a year's free car insurance with the AA. When I got the paperwork through, it appeared that they were expecting ME to buy a car for the policy to cover!

Needless to say I put my foot through the policy and sent Jeremy Clarkson the bill.

Did not see that, but if they doing that, its very decent of them I didn't have a go at them directly :)

Well, it might be a good idea to approach them and see if it's a mistake or something before moaning on here... I run a business, and many of my customers think i'm wonderful, and some probably think I'm an idiot - but I always say to them all - if you don;t like something then TELL ME!

Don't moan to other people - they won't do anything about your problem - but tell me and I'll fix it!

I've always found Plusnet to be helpful and eager to please.

A penny to a pound there will be something in the small print or T&C's.

is it free internet from them, line rental isnt really through them tho thats from bt. loads of telecomms companys could offer you line rental, usually starting from around £10

so they can get away with saying free internet, id love to see if they would just give you the internet though and let you use another company for the line rental :hihi:

OK, done a little digging and it seems the terms of the competition could have been made a little clearer. As could some of the communication sent to winners (although I've a feeling we neglected to send that too on this occasion). We'll fix this for next time.

Regarding the competition in question, 8 of the 10 winners have already signed up with us. I suspect for many of them this will be their first foray into broadband (given the nature of the event) so many of them won't be in the same situation as you.

Reading this ...

I did tell her that I had a router, yet she insisted that I would have to have theirs installed? Basically paying the £60.

I agree,

That was my impression of it. I will stick with my provider who are clear with their details rather than messing with clients.

Thanks for your response.

... It seems that you already have an internet connection? Is this with Virgin or a MPF LLU provider like TalkTalk or Sky? I'm guessing it's somebody like this based on the £60.00 installation fee you're referring to.

You'll already be paying line rental to somebody. Depending on who this is you might be able to keep your line rental with them and just switch your broadband to us (although it's unlikely based on the above assumption).

I think it's fair that we cover the cost of installation however I'd still expect you to pay for your line rental. If thats changes the situation at all then let me know and I'll arrange for somebody to get in touch again.

Best regards,

Edited by bpullen