Misunderstood road layouts leading to road rage in Sheffield, which areas?

I don't use it often, so this always catches me out:

Go down Upper Hanover Street and move to the righthand lane to turn right to go along Ecclesall Road - but I'm then in the wrong lane to turn left into Summerfield Road to get to Cemetary Road.

I use the central lane, which is marked for both straight ahead and turning right. It might not have arrows (I can't remember), but the road number for Ecclesall road is painted on the road. I then exit in the left hand lane onto Ecclesall road without having to change lane. The only problem then is coping with those drivers who change lane as they exit the roundabout - and I'm already in the lane where they want to be

The LH lane is often blocked by cars trying to take the first left exit from the roundabout and so the middle lane is sometimes a better choice. The danger lies in those drivers who feel they have a right to turn off towards Walkley across the front of the cars in the 'legitimate' lane. I have nearly been side-swiped twice by cars coming from Hannover Way (or even Broad Lane) in the wrong lane. A lot more care and attention is required if you choose not to follow the road markings!

Walkley turning off Brook Hill gets my vote as well.

It's a rare occasion that I get from Broad Lane (using the middle lane, as the road markings direct) onto the Walkley exit without having to watch out for someone using the right hand lane to do the same manoeuvre. The road marking's have been like they are as long as I remember, it's not like it's a new thing, it even has "WLey" painted on the road.

Try being in the correct lane on a bicycle, (R/H lane from Broad Lane heading down Netherthorpe Rd), idiot tries to force past on my right with L/H indicator on going up Bolsover St and idiot in the left lane for Walkley passing on my iside with right indicator on heading to Netherthorpe Road

I think they fancied a sandwich

Care and attention is needed ESPECIALLY when following the road markings there...

Technically I'd have thought the 'correct' lane for a bicycle is the left lane. Although that isn't totally clear, safe or common these days.

See rule 77 and 187

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/roundabouts-76-to-78

That round about really takes some guts whatever lane you're in. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 31-07-2014 at 22:26 ----------

Walkley turning off Brook Hill gets my vote as well.

It's a rare occasion that I get from Broad Lane (using the middle lane, as the road markings direct) onto the Walkley exit without having to watch out for someone using the right hand lane to do the same manoeuvre. The road marking's have been like they are as long as I remember, it's not like it's a new thing, it even has "WLey" painted on the road.

When I moved to Sheffield it was different. IIRC there were different lanes on the approach from Upper Hanover St for Brook Hill and Bolsover St.

Technically I'd have thought the 'correct' lane for a bicycle is the left lane. Although that isn't totally clear, safe or common these days.

See rule 77 and 187

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/roundabouts-76-to-78

That round about really takes some guts whatever lane you're in. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 31-07-2014 at 22:26 ----------

When I moved to Sheffield it was different. IIRC there were different lanes on the approach from Upper Hanover St for Brook Hill and Bolsover St.

Many years ago I used to commute by cycle up Broad Lane and Brook Hill towards Broomhill, and then a few years later up Hanover Way and turn right down Broad Lane. On both routes I used the same lanes as I would in a car.

I'd have felt VERY vulnerable if I had tried either of these in the left hand lane all the way.

The op mentions the mosborough parkway why don't they put merge in turn signs up ithey work in Cromer in Norfolk on the one way system and on the A380 in Exeter .

The one that annoys me is one I am currently sat overlooking from Level 4 of the Information Commons - Brookhill Roundabout, but more specifically the turn off towards Walkley. No matter how much paint there is on the roads telling you which lane is for the Walkley turn off, you always get somebody cutting you up from the right. Usually either coming up Broad Lane or Upper Hanover Street. Its just one of those things!

This isn't an accident, they are doing this to avoid queueing and gambling that they can find a clear gap to make the exit.

Who would have thought that bus lanes could be this interesting.I may not be able to sleep tonight.

No worries,that nice Mr Cameron is going to allow driverless cars soon.

How will the ex drivers get to Aldi and lidl now,who will pay for the parking permits?Will I still have to pay road tax?

The op mentions the mosborough parkway why don't they put merge in turn signs up ithey work in Cromer in Norfolk on the one way system and on the A380 in Exeter .

Because the City Council claim this is not allowed. I've suggested it to them many times and get the same answer even though I tell them it is (and even sent a photo to prove it, of one in Halifax). (Although actually one reply said it would be too expensive to ask for permission from the relevant authority, come to think of it.).

Because the City Council claim this is not allowed. I've suggested it to them many times and get the same answer even though I tell them it is (and even sent a photo to prove it, of one in Halifax). (Although actually one reply said it would be too expensive to ask for permission from the relevant authority, come to think of it.).

Call me naive, but which authority would Sheffield City Council have to get permission from for putting a sign up in Sheffield?

Call me naive, but which authority would Sheffield City Council have to get permission from for putting a sign up in Sheffield?

You're naive.

SCC has subcontracted the Teletubbies to maintain and erect all signage. Only with the express permission of Tinky-Winky, Laa-Laa, Po, Dipsy and Sun Baby are any changes to be made.

You're naive.

SCC has subcontracted the Teletubbies to maintain and erect all signage. Only with the express permission of Tinky-Winky, Laa-Laa, Po, Dipsy and Sun Baby are any changes to be made.

Ah, thank you.

So how much do they charge for this?

Ah, thank you.

So how much do they charge for this?

I don't have the exact information to hand right now, but if memory serves me correctly the TDF signage cost somewhere around three bags of chocolate gold coins and a Malteser (Po is allergic to tinfoil) ;)

Edited by Alcoblog