Does wearing a Poppy now glorify war?

The Germans had won the battle but not the war with France, they were a newly strong power withlong standing issues to settle....

And they only just managed to "beat the RN" in a one off skirmish in 1914.

First time the RN had lost anything in 100 years, but that is where complacancy gets you

As I mentioned before. Basically a power struggle between major European nations. "Our navy's bigger than your navy so dont start getting any ideas upstarts" :D Jingoism was in full flower

Edited by Harleyman

Wasnt Wiorld War One an illegal war? Wasnt it nothing more than a war started over rivalries between the great powers of Europe, France and Britain on one side and Germany, a newly emerging power in 1914 which Britain and France saw as a threat to their dominant position, perhaps challenging their ownership of overseas possessions where raw materials were acquired on the cheap. Raw materials which in fact were necessary to develop an emerging economy and the engines of industry?

The assassination of an obscure duke in Sarajevo was only a pretense for going to war. Kaiser Wilhelm wasnt intending a war either against Britain or France but was obliged to support the Austro-Hungarian Empire in it's declaration of war against the Serbs who were in turn supported by Russia and Britain and France were allied with Russia and declared war on Germany

All it amounted to then were four principal European powers ganging up on each other in a struggle for dominance and millions of men were sacrificed in that most foolish and by any standards the most illegal and evil war in history.

World War One was the turning point in European history, certainly a major reason for the collapse of Tsarist Russia, the rise of the Bolsheviks, Hitler coming to power, World war Two and all the way up to and including the Cold War.

Yep, yep, yep and yep.

It also marks the switch from coal fired warships to oil fired warships, and the discovery of gazillions of barrels of oil in persia and arabia. The Germans lacked any useful Middle Eastern pet potentates, and was in process of building the Berlin-Basra railway when hostilities broke out.

Yep, yep, yep and yep.

It also marks the switch from coal fired warships to oil fired warships, and the discovery of gazillions of barrels of oil in persia and arabia. The Germans lacked any useful Middle Eastern pet potentates, and was in process of building the Berlin-Basra railway when hostilities broke out.

The discovery of oil in the Middle East came,for a large part, in the refusal by Texaxo and Standard Oil in the US to sell oil to the upcoming combatants in a world war because of neutrality. This was the birth of Royal Dutch Shell and BP.

The discovery of oil in the Middle East came,for a large part, in the refusal by Texaxo and Standard Oil in the US to sell oil to the upcoming combatants in a world war because of neutrality. This was the birth of Royal Dutch Shell and BP.

:confused:

Sure about this? BP was originally the Anglo-Persian Oil Company set up well before WW1. They were an offshoot of Burmah set up in Victorian times to exploit the Burmese oilfields.

I'm not so sure about Shell (haha), but I think they were also set up in the late 1800s as a Dutch company to exploit oil in the Dutch East Indies.

The Germans had won the war of 1870 and Alsace-LorraineMoselle, a subject of dispute between Germany and France now part of Germany.
Corrected for accuracy :)

Most people always refer to the region as "Alsace-Lorraine", when in fact the annexed portion consisted of Alsace proper ('High Rhine' and 'Low Rhine' departments) and the Moselle department.

Alsace Moselle was annexed to the German Empire in 1870, reverted to France in 1918, was again annexed (not

occupied) to the Reich in 1940, reverted to France in late 1944 (Moselle)/early 1945 (Alsace).

Whereby:

<...>

My great great grandfather was born French, my great grandfather (same village) was born German and escaped German conscription for WW1, my grandfather (still same village) was born French and wore the French uniform in WW2, a cousin of his of similar age in nearby Alsace was born French just the same, wore the French uniform in 1940, then made German and made to wear the Das Reich SS uniform in WW2 in 1942 (or his family would be deported). He didn't come back from the Eastern front.

<...>

Edited by L00b

Corrected for accuracy :)

Most people always refer to the region as "Alsace-Lorraine", when in fact the annexed portion consisted of Alsace proper ('High Rhine' and 'Low Rhine' departments) and the Moselle department.

Alsace Moselle was annexed to the German Empire in 1870, reverted to France in 1918, was again annexed (not

occupied) to the Reich in 1940, reverted to France in late 1944 (Moselle)/early 1945 (Alsace).

Whereby:

I stand duly corrected.

:confused:

Sure about this? BP was originally the Anglo-Persian Oil Company set up well before WW1. They were an offshoot of Burmah set up in Victorian times to exploit the Burmese oilfields.

I'm not so sure about Shell (haha), but I think they were also set up in the late 1800s as a Dutch company to exploit oil in the Dutch East Indies.

I think what I meant to say was that the two company's I mentioned were eventually derived from exploration in the gulf caused by the Texaco embargo. My info only covered the Persian Gulf not Burma. The big advantage of the Gulf and the Suez Canal was the distance to the war fronts instead of Burma or even the United States. The Gulf would become a major battle ground in both wars. Edited by buck

I thought Texaco was part of Standard Oil - Standard Oil Company of Texas.

It seems to have been hijacked by the military and extreme right wing organisations to mean you support the current terrorism wars we're involved with, and its now used by the 'Help For Heros' where you're told to beleive that anyone in a military uniform is somehow a hero, when we all know there clearly not.

Define hero.

Define hero.

John Wayne... The sands of Iwo Jima :D

John Wayne... The sands of Iwo Jima :D

Ive heard of John wayne but ive no idea who this Iwo Jima fella is.

Is he famous?

Ive heard of John wayne but ive no idea who this Iwo Jima fella is.

Is he famous?

Iwo Jima is a sacred name to all Marines. John Wayne was the greatest hero who never fought there or anywhere else for that matter

Edited by Harleyman