Blades awful, 1st place misleading..

I cant argue with that,i actually look forward to your summing up of a game cos its always honest:)

As poor as the Pompy game was, it was an improvement on the Oldham and Walsall games.

Off topic i have just found the Wembley semi final programme of 93! still have my ticket stub too !!

Admission was £16, programme £4. how times have change:)

As poor as the Pompy game was, it was an improvement on the Oldham and Walsall games.

Off topic i have just found the Wembley semi final programme of 93! still have my ticket stub too !!

Admission was £16, programme £4. how times have change:)

Yeah they have sadly.

Keep hearing this, Only playing in 2nd gear a lot, genuine question why do you think you will improve.

In a couple of matches I think they have shown that they can play a very different way, in what most (all) of us would say a better way, but last season it cost us a few times, i'd like to think it's something DW is doing on prpose to give us a plan B and we will return to more fluid football soon but I doubt it. I think he's just made the team more cautious and it's ugly football.

So to answer your question - if DW wants is to play better football I think we will.

In a couple of matches I think they have shown that they can play a very different way, in what most (all) of us would say a better way, but last season it cost us a few times, i'd like to think it's something DW is doing on prpose to give us a plan B and we will return to more fluid football soon but I doubt it. I think he's just made the team more cautious and it's ugly football.

So to answer your question - if DW wants is to play better football I think we will.

Thanks for answering.:)

There's no big problem about playing a certain,shall we say,not so entertaining football,as long as it's winning football,the problem happens when it becomes losing football.It's done for a lot of managers,Blackwell,Bassett,even Warnock to some extent,and even the ones that tried football that was 'pleasing on the eye' got kicked out when they weren't winning enough games.Results are just about everything,unless you are Gary Megson of course.

By watching a match on Sky tv you describe that as the first time you've watched the Blades in a long time, you couldn't be bothered watching them last week against Notts County ? If you think that was rubbish you should have seen them against Oldham, especially the first half. You're right of course it is garbage but not sure how you can refer to yourself as a "life long Blade" Apologies if you have a medical condition or can't afford matches that prevents you attending.

Err because they are my team. I was at Leicester in 1990, the day we went up. so I've paid my dues over the years.

Out of principle I wouldnt pay to watch them now, it's just utterly shocking football. That doesn't mean I dont want them to do well.

Err because they are my team. I was at Leicester in 1990, the day we went up. so I've paid my dues over the years.

Out of principle I wouldnt pay to watch them now, it's just utterly shocking football. That doesn't mean I dont want them to do well.

Not a good day for wednesday that one.

We are United we have to cut our cloth to suit our needs, arguably one of our most successful times was under Bassett when we rose from 3rd division, to 1st in consecutive seasons.

Now that football was ugly to the purist (kick & run), but to any Blade that went home & away & such, it was a magical time, 2 consecutive promotions.

Plus when in 1st division & we didn't win till was it 23rd/24th December, when we beat Florist 3-2 @ BDTBL we went ballistic.

But that's why Owls can take heart even though we were in the bottom 3, we KNEW we weren't going down & when Bob Booker scored the goal that ensured we stayed up, we were euphoric QPR I believe.

What makes me mad is we play the long ball & its called ugly, yet Chelsea STILL play it and are the best exponents of it, yet its called getting the ball forward quickly.

It's not utterly shocking - it's just not particularly entertaining, and has deteriorated since having to sell Quinn and Lowton. Knowing that he doesn't have the attacking options of last season (the two top scorers, Evans and Williamson leaving the club), he has opted to make the defence as tight at possible, and so far that part appears to be working, as we haven't lost yet...

As others have said, if we start losing games and playing that way still, then he will have to change something - it's a means to an end, as the automatic promotion teams last season proved. As the manager showed last season, when he has the attacking tools at his disposal, he produced the highest scoring team in the country. Given the severe financial restrictions he faces now, you can't blame him for taking control of the one thing he can - the defence...

Utterly shocking were the United team that got relegated to this division a few years back under a sackload of managers - now that was some of the poorest football i've ever seen at the Lane! This is decent compared to that spell :hihi:

It's not utterly shocking - it's just not particularly entertaining, and has deteriorated since having to sell Quinn and Lowton. Knowing that he doesn't have the attacking options of last season (the two top scorers, Evans and Williamson leaving the club), he has opted to make the defence as tight at possible, and so far that part appears to be working, as we haven't lost yet...

As others have said, if we start losing games and playing that way still, then he will have to change something - it's a means to an end, as the automatic promotion teams last season proved. As the manager showed last season, when he has the attacking tools at his disposal, he produced the highest scoring team in the country. Given the severe financial restrictions he faces now, you can't blame him for taking control of the one thing he can - the defence...

Utterly shocking were the United team that got relegated to this division a few years back under a sackload of managers - now that was some of the poorest football i've ever seen at the Lane! This is decent compared to that spell :hihi:

Brilliant, well thought out post Sheff71 :thumbsup:

People tend to forget what Quinn gave us last season, he didn't hit the back of the net on a regular basis but created no end of chances and was one of if not top of the league for assists. I think Doyle and McDonald had his measure as well and between them they played some terrific football.

Lowton for a full back gave loads going forward, he attacked down the wing and put the ball in the box. With him in the team we could drop one of the central midfielders and we had 5-6 players going forward in and around the 18 yard box sometimes.

I think our lack of wingers at the minute jumps out and were not creating bags but were sensible in what we do going forward and create the chances we need to win games. I personally want us to create and finish more and to attack out wide a bit more and put decent balls in the box. We've lacked this a bit since Williamson, Lowton and Quinn left.

I don't know if anyone noticed but the ball very rarely beat the first man the other night?. Flynny needs to improve his delivery because he is capable and I would like to see Miller given a shot on the wing as opposed to a full back in williams as he is mega dangerous.

Brilliant, well thought out post Sheff71 :thumbsup:

People tend to forget what Quinn gave us last season, he didn't hit the back of the net on a regular basis but created no end of chances and was one of if not top of the league for assists. I think Doyle and McDonald had his measure as well and between them they played some terrific football.

Lowton for a full back gave loads going forward, he attacked down the wing and put the ball in the box. With him in the team we could drop one of the central midfielders and we had 5-6 players going forward in and around the 18 yard box sometimes.

I think our lack of wingers at the minute jumps out and were not creating bags but were sensible in what we do going forward and create the chances we need to win games. I personally want us to create and finish more and to attack out wide a bit more and put decent balls in the box. We've lacked this a bit since Williamson, Lowton and Quinn left.

I don't know if anyone noticed but the ball very rarely beat the first man the other night?. Flynny needs to improve his delivery because he is capable and I would like to see Miller given a shot on the wing as opposed to a full back in williams as he is mega dangerous.

Spot on there - the set pieces were pretty much abysmal all night - credit to Portsmouth for defending them well, but as you say the delivery was so poor by all, there was no threat at all. Surprised to see McMahon got the Man of the match, his passing was dire, and his crosses not good enough.

I would love to see us try and tempt Allan on loan from West Brom when his spell with Pompey ends, he had the pace and control, with trickery that would spice up our attack...

We've been playing like that all season and we've won 8 and drawn 7.

I'll take that if it means we get out of this crap division.