Bios update to support ivybridge

Hi all,

i have an asus sabertooth P67 motherboard. I understand that if i update the bios my chipset will support ivybridge. Problem is, can i update the bios with either the ivybridge cpu in place or with no cpu in at all as i no longer have access to a sandy cpu.

You should be fine with the Ivy CPU in place, it may just report it incorrectly, and may not properly detect its speed, but it should be fine for updating the BIOS....

Probably depends on which BIOS is already installed. It certainly won't run without a CPU. You may need to find a friend who can lend you a SandyBridge CPU.

Nah, it will work, it will just be unrecognized, like I said....

Thanks for that Ghozer. I didn't think it would boot without a cpu in place but wasn't sure if it would boot with a cpu that wasn't recognised.

Just to update this thread. Fitted the Ivybridge cpu and the pc failed to boot. Contacted Asus who kindly posted out a new bios chip with the latest bios on it. Pc now running at 4.4ghz @1.1v when the turbo kicks in. Hottest core running at 62 deg C when stress testing.

I'm surprised it didn't work before hand, but this is a prime example of why I like Asus, their customer service is awesome! :D

Glad it was sorted! :)

I've always used Asus motherboards (apart from one Abit board many moons ago). Always served me well. My last one is still going strong after 7 years of abuse!

I've always used Asus motherboards (apart from one Abit board many moons ago). Always served me well. My last one is still going strong after 7 years of abuse!

I tend to alternate between ASUS and Gigabyte personally however my old ASUS K8U-X is still running and is currently being used in my home-built media centre. I bought the board early 2006 and it's still going strong, as is the Sempron 2800+ it's powering.

My ASUS A7N8X was one of the best boards I ever had. Its one of the few Athlon boards that was still in perfect working order when I stopped using it. Still have it lying around if anyone wants to give it a try. ;)