Home Births - anyone had one?

Has anyone on here had a home birth?

I am currently 38+3 weeks and due anytime really (actual date 9th Nov) and its my third baby so I have opted for a home birth this time around.

I am not having a pool though and I am just starting to get a little nervous about the birth!

Can anyone give any good tips to keep calm and focused etc and have any positive home birth stories to share?

Hi Kirsty

Like you I opted to have my third baby at home. It was a lovely, calm experience. My daughter was born in the armchair in the living room attended by two, older, very experienced community midwives. I had gas and air and had pethidin on standby if I needed it, I never gave it a thought. I think because you're in your own surroundings and able to move around as you want to, you feel calmer as you feel more in control. Highly recommended. By the way I'm not an earth mother type and believe in pain relief if you need it!

Lol thankyou so much for replying. Had a mild panic last night as was having contractions but everything stopped and today Im feeling really positive about my home birth now. I have asked my MW to bring gas and air as I love that stuff, but I hate Pethidine so she isn't bringing it for me, Just hope baby decides to appear sooner rather than later! :)

I had my 2nd and 3rd baby at home and it was a brilliant experience. Its so much calmer been in your own home. I was still doing things round the house while the midwife chatted with my partner. Its so much better knowing when the birth is over you can settle down with your baby straight away without having a journey home and i didnt have to find someone to have my other children. I would defiantly have another home birth. Good luck :)

I like the idea but always thought about the mess.......I have white bedsheets and wallpaper in my bedroom :hihi:

My two were stubborn buggers when they were being born so probably better in the hospital but I bet its lovely eating what you like as well after the baby arrives!!!

Its actually not as messy as you would think lol. I just got some plastic sheets and put old sheets and towels down then chucked it all in the bin :)

Thankyou! Everything is ready for it. I bought a 12ft plastic decorators sheet and have been saving old bedding and towels too so hopefully it wont be too messy!

Will let you know how it goes when she decides to make an appearance!! :)

Hi Kirsty,

Acupressure can really help during labour for relaxation and help the labour progress well. There are points too that offer very effective pain relief. I have been teaching these points to women, their partners and midwives for the past 4 years and the feedback is great.

My next workshop is on the 21st of November - too late for you I know but I could meet you and your partner before if this is something you would be interested in?

for more info then you can check my website http://www.moonacupuncture.co.uk

I run a home birth support group in Sheffield - 1st Monday of each month at Sharrow Sure Start 7.30-9.00. If you are thinking about home birth it's a chance to meet other parents who have had home births or who are planning them. We listen to the experiences of parents who have had their babies at home then have a general discussion about what to have at the birth, how to prepare, what happens if you need to go into hospital etc.

The next meeting is Monday 3rd Dec. It is free entry and open to anyone who is interested in home birth. It is an NCT group but you don't need to be an NCT member.

If you have had a home birth and would like to tell others about it we are always looking for people to come to the group to talk about their experiences. Please contact me at [email protected]

http://www.nct.org.uk/branches/sheffield-rotherham/events/home-birth-support-group

I can recommend Jo's Acupressure lessons, she did some sessions for us. My partner used it when I was due, and having random, on / off minor contractions for about a week before baby actually turned up. It was amazing, I could feel some of the points instantly stimulating a response in my body and actually bringing on a contraction. However, my son was very very stubborn and withstood all attempts to hurry him along, he came when he was good and ready! Which in the event turned out to be incredibly rapidly. Less than 1 1/2 hours once I finally went into labour, just about time for the midwife to get to me, although sadly not the gas and air which turned up in a taxi 5 minutes later.

I have had 2 home births and they have both been brilliant. I have got such fond memories of both occasions, and I can't say enough good things about the midwives that have been there. What an amazing service! Being at home in my own surroundings took all the fear out of birth for me, and made it seem so normal..... and this from someone who for years claimed I would never have kids because I thought childbirth seemed so horrific. And don't worry about the mess, just get plenty of old towels. The midwife brings this brilliant pop up bin thing to chuck it all away in, and takes it away when she goes. For my second baby I woke up at 3.30am, gave birth at 5am, had some stitches done, had a cup of tea and me and the room were all cleaned up and tidy in plenty of time for when firstborn woke up around 7am. Just in time for breakfast together. Perfect!

I had one accidentally this morning :hihi:

All I shall say is thank God I have a new sofa coming next week :gag::hihi:

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android