Cesaerean delivery and terrified!!

Hi all, just after a bit of advice please: i'm due to have twins on 23rd November and am booked in for a c-section due to bottom baby being breech. Had my lg normal delivery so absolutely terrified of the thought. Obviously I agree with doctor that if its the safest way for the twins, do whichever is best for them and signed all forms etc but still nervous as got a 1 year old to look after to and am really panicking that I wont be able to cuddle her properly and show her she's not been pushed out. How was anyones experience of a c-section and what is the recovery process? Any support would be greatly appreciated as its starting to taint the last stretch of the pregnancy now :( Thank you x

i had a planned c section with my second but an emergancy one with my first and they were so differant! my planned one like your having was amazing! i was up and about within hours and didnt have any pain killers at all and was home after 3 days i had some mild pain but otherwise ok, i was able to do most light activities.my first was horrid i was bed bound for a week. good luck with it all hun. x

I had a planned c section on 18th September absolutely fine. I was up and about in a few hours and only stayed in 2 nights. Can't say I had any pain just a bit weird walking with stitches. My advice is to take it easy but keep mobile or you stiffen up! Theatre staff in Jessops are lovely too. Good luck xx

thank you :) i just worry due to all the hype you hear and not really heard anything 'good' about them!! Do you have to stay in the night before, i have to go for a pre-op assesment but doctor didnt say if I had to stay in that night, i didnt think i did obviously unless theres any problem. do they allow your partner/birthing partner in with you? x

You don't stay in for pre op, it's only a 10 minute job really. My other half came to theatre. They leave them in a little room just while you get sorted then go and fetch them. Once out of theatre you will just be left, they come round all first night doing bp etc but I had to beg for help latching baby on.

My first c-sec was emergency and wasn't too nice experience. But my second c-sec was planned, and it was brilliant. It was March this year, and I can tell you I am terrified of needles but the staff were sooo helpful. They didn't mind that I was throwing up every 30 seconds (in theatre!) and passing out, then hysterical giggles at the 'fire-y dust' I could see - yeah I started to go wappy.. all due to the thought of a needle - i'd not actually had one at that point.

The actual csec was calm, and good all round. I had pre-op the day before, 10-15minutes just go through everything you need to do - nil by mouth, tablets to take, etc.. and then you go in, the next day. You go back to the ward, and you walk to theatre - take some slippers, I didnt and had to walk barefoot through the hospital!! Afterwards I went into the recovery room for an hour or so, they keep checking, 2 nurses in there were lovely. Then back on the ward for 2pm ish (I had him at 12.09pm). Was up at 430am the next morning, having a shower etc.

It is hard to walk, but you MUST walk about. Don't lay about - even at home. You're more likely to develop clots and you don't want that! I had him Friday, and home Sunday. I spent Monday catching up with the washing pile and ironing, and changing bedding. It ached after but sooo glad I didn't sit around. Recovery is faster when mobile :)

Don't worry about your other child, I picked mine up without any problems. They say full recovery is about 6weeks and they are right. At 6 weeks I felt just like before. But I was driving after 10 days, doing the school run etc it's a fairly common, but serious, thing to be done so only do what you are able too :)

And if you've never had a c-sec before, one thing noone ever told me and I was VERY shocked to realise - you do still bleed after the birth. Even though they 'clear' it out, you still bleed for a good few weeks, it just doesn't sting to pee ;)

My SIL had an emergency section with her first and a planned section with her second, and the recovery time with her second was much quicker etc. Just take it easy and dont try to do more than you should be!

Good Luck :)

I had an emergency cesaerean with my little boy back in April of this year. I was completely put to sleep with a general anesthetic instead of an epidural with it being an emergency. I had my baby at lunch time was laid up all the rest of the afternoon mainly due to coming round from the anesthetic being sleepy ect not actually from the cesaerean. The staff on the ward at Jessops were really helpful during the night helping me with my baby. The following morning i was up and out of bed in the shower and dressed all before breakfast was served.

I was fine throughtout my recovery, just took it easy and took some pain killers to ease the healing pain but nothing that paracetamol couldn't deal with.

I had an emergency section at 31 weeks with a spinal anaesthetic with my first, and a planned section with general anaesthetic with my 2nd. My planned was so much easier recovery wise! But even the first wasnt bad!

With the 2nd I was in 2 nights as they like to keep an eye on you 2 nights. Mobilising was so much easier second time as was pain control (didnt need that much pain relief). O day of surgery I had to be there for 7am, and even with the general anaesthetic I was back on the ward about 11am (I was first on list for medical reasons).

When you get home you will need to be careful lifting your eldest etc

Dont worry about the section, it really isnt bad. I would have another!

All the best with your little ones!

Im booked in for a planned section on Monday, in Rotherham and have pre op tomorrow. Thank you for this thread, whilst I'm still scared I'm a lot more at ease now x

This thread could have been me word for word 7 years ago.

Both my twins were breech, one a footling (the first) and the second standard breech but she could have moved later maybe.

I was terrified.

I opted for a spinal which worked fine, they did a great job of putting it in and it was highly effective. The section itself went fine. Second twin vanished further up and got brought out by forceps in the section, slightly unusual I gather but no detriment to any of us.

My only issue that first night was when I was moved onto the ward. Having had major abdominal surgery I was then left, unable to reach my babies and unable to sit or lift them anyway. I was really upset about it and would strongly advise you are certain the buzzer is in reach and your babies are too before you are left.

We were moved to a private room in the morning as a multiple birth, then stayed there 5 days.

My section scar felt tight, that's totally normal but do keep an eye on it for infection. It was recommended to use tea tree products to reduce the chance of infection, I certainly had no problems and didn't bleed much either.

The recovery after that was fine. I'd suggest you take it easy, don't rush, don't push yourself, there's just no need.

Don't rush to leave hospital if you don't want to, 5 days is fairly normal, some have more some less, do what is right for you.

Because we had a private room my partner was able to stay, we took a folding z bed and therefore he slept in the room with us which was great.

Whoever takes you home could bring in a cushion or pillow to cushion the wound site from the seat belt on the way home

Loose knickers and maternity clothing might be a good idea after the birth, can't predict what will happen as every womans body is different.

Despite my abject fear it went ok. I wouldn't opt for a section again, because I hated the recovery and the change in my independence so my next baby due in 14 weeks is hopefully arriving by hypnobirthing. Having said that, he could be breech too and maybe I'll have to have another section, but, I wouldn't be half so afraid now.

The staff at Jessops vary in their bedside manner but their medical care skills never concerned me.

I sincerely hope you have the best birth you possibly can and that your babies are lovely and content. My girls were 7 at the weekend and they're all hale and healthy, big and tall, bright and completely bonkers :)