Ex brincliffe grammar school?

I was at Brincliffe 1958 onwards and remember teachers like Boule, Spinx, Potter, Walters, Howson, Cutts, Siddaway, Hoyland, Holliday, Bradshaw, Wessley, Bingham and the headmaster Mr Hill...who I think most people idolised. Still in touch with Peter Machan and I was part of the Robert Eadley, Jones C and Jones T crowd. I remember wood work down at Sharrow Lane and football up at High Stores (which I absolutely hated) but was really happy at school and hated having to move to City Grammar for A levels before going off to Kings in London.

Hi Robert. Were you in the same class as David Michael Gott? He is also a member on this site and now lives in Canada if you should want to re-connect. 

Does anyone remember Miss Mitten or Mr. Silcock?  I still have a class photo which I would add if I had a clue how to do it. I have tried but it just doesn't seem to work. Sigh!!!!

On 29/12/2019 at 14:07, grannypat said:

I remember them both. Mr Silcock often had a bevy of girls walking up Osborne Road with him in the morning. I seem to remember that this caused some envy/disparagement amongst we lads. He left in the summer of 1961 to be replaced by Miss Carr the following term. I lived fairly close to Miss Mitten & would often travel on the same bus to the bottom of Sheldon Road then walk up to school. She wrote some nice things about my artwork in the school reports. I don't think she stayed at Brincliffe for more than about a year.

13 hours ago, Michael Gott said:

Old pupils brincliffe grammar

David McLeavy is the Secretary of Dronfield Camera Club. You may be able to contact him via their website.

On 29/01/2020 at 19:44, fatrajah said:

I remember them both. Mr Silcock often had a bevy of girls walking up Osborne Road with him in the morning. I seem to remember that this caused some envy/disparagement amongst we lads. He left in the summer of 1961 to be replaced by Miss Carr the following term. I lived fairly close to Miss Mitten & would often travel on the same bus to the bottom of Sheldon Road then walk up to school. She wrote some nice things about my artwork in the school reports. I don't think she stayed at Brincliffe for more than about a year.

Oh really???? I seemed a lot longer than that. Mr Silcock was lovely but he was only little wasn't he? The teacher who remains in my memory was 'Hiram Holliday'. I can't remember his real name and I don't know about the other classes but our class made his life a misery. I've felt bad about that over the years. I'll bet he was a nice chap really just not ideal teacher temperament. 

Hello, Grannypat

Yes, Mr Silcock was on the short side. We nicknamed him 'Basil' from B.A. Silcock. I was told that he ended up as the Principal of some college in Lancashire.  At least I was told that by Mr Chapman  who was a part-time maths teacher 1959/60 whom I met in the late 1990s while doing some conservation work in Ecclesall Woods. Do you remember him?  

'Hiram Holliday's real name was Brian Whittaker. He started at Brincliffe in September 1961 having previously worked in South Africa. He wasn't really cut out to be a teacher , was he? Sadly he died of a brain tumour in about June 1963.  It was very sad the way he was treated by some pupils. In the late 1960s while working for GPO Telephones, I met his brother, Graham. He put Mr Whittaker's illness down to excessive studying. 

Edited by fatrajah
I don't know what all the crossing out is for.

2 hours ago, fatrajah said:

Hello, Grannypat

Yes, Mr Silcock was on the short side. We nicknamed him 'Basil' from B.A. Silcock. I was told that he ended up as the Principal of some college in Lancashire.  At least I was told that by Mr Chapman  who was a part-time maths teacher 1959/60 whom I met in the late 1990s while doing some conservation work in Ecclesall Woods. Do you remember him?  

'Hiram Holliday's real name was Brian Whittaker. He started at Brincliffe in September 1961 having previously worked in South Africa. He wasn't really cut out to be a teacher , was he? Sadly he died of a brain tumour in about June 1963.  It was very sad the way he was treated by some pupils. In the late 1960s while working for GPO Telephones, I met his brother, Graham. He put Mr Whittaker's illness down to excessive studying. 

You've accidently pressed the 'S' button with the line through. Like this.

Where was Brincliffe grammar? Never heard of it - sorry (High Storrs 1963-70)

Brincliffe Grammar was on Union Road, Nether Edge. Nether Edge Grammar occupied the building until 1958 when the pupils & most of the teaching staff moved to the newly-opened Abbeydale Boys Grammar on Hastings Road Millhouses.

I think Brincliffe was set up as an overspill school to cope with the number of post-war baby boomers. The school was only in existence for 7 years & closed in 1965.  The Education Department used the building for various purposes for many years thereafter.

On games days we used pass your old school on our way to the playing fields behind the Maud Maxfield School for the Deaf . That was at Bents Green.

The school building still exists but is much altered & extended having been converted into apartments about 20 years ago.

Edited by fatrajah

12 hours ago, FORE said:

You've accidently pressed the 'S' button with the line through. Like this.

Where was Brincliffe grammar? Never heard of it - sorry (High Storrs 1963-70)

If you stand at the main gates of the drive up to the front of the old Nether Edge Hospital buildings our school was immediately across the road. I think it's offices now. We also had some of the buildings which looked as though they were a part of the hospital  as they were on the same side of the road as the hospital.  From the main gates right down as far as the junction.

Edited by grannypat