Rotherham: free parking for xmas shoppers. Will Sheffield respond?

But none the less ,busy routes in and out of the city centre ,and all routes where motorists are hampered ,and slowed at every turn . Why exactly does SCC feel the need to slow traffic to a crawl at every given opportunity. ?

Typically, traffic calming slows down traffic by a couple of mph over a short distance. The calming on these routes is often at schools or locations where there have been accident problems.

Slowing the traffic, even slightly can have a massively positive effect on the outcome of collisions, particularly with pedestrians.

Is life and limb not worth a few seconds of your time?

So, which are the major routes to the city centre from south & east Sheffield? If City Road, East Bank Road, Savile Street & Gleadless Road aren't major? If I'm at Manor Top, should I use the Parkway to get to town, even though it's twice as far? If I'm at Hemsworth or Norton, how do I get to town? What about Attercliffe? It doesn't make sense to force half the city onto the parkway. If they're big enough for frequent bus routes, why do they have speed bumps?

Where's the traffic calming on Saville St? Is there any on City Rd?

The traffic calming on the routes you have mentioned is over a very short distance and will slow you down by a very few mph for a few seconds. It will not make any noticeable difference to your journey time, so what exactly is your problem with it?

So, which are the major routes to the city centre from south & east Sheffield? If City Road, East Bank Road, Savile Street & Gleadless Road aren't major? If I'm at Manor Top, should I use the Parkway to get to town, even though it's twice as far? If I'm at Hemsworth or Norton, how do I get to town? What about Attercliffe? It doesn't make sense to force half the city onto the parkway. If they're big enough for frequent bus routes, why do they have speed bumps?

On many roads like that, the answer is "because of numpties with (and without) driving licences"

The traffic calming on the routes you have mentioned is over a very short distance and will slow you down by a very few mph for a few seconds. It will not make any noticeable difference to your journey time, so what exactly is your problem with it?

But it will cause noticeable damage to your vehicle over a period of time .

But it will cause noticeable damage to your vehicle over a period of time .

Odd that I've had my car for nearly 10 years and haven't had a repair that could be attributable to speed bumps.

It's not just traffic calming, there are bus gates & confusing one way systems that send you miles round.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'd like to know a better route), but Saville Street forces you onto Derek Dooley Way, can't go down the Wicker. Can't go down Duke Street to Park Square. Bus lane on Granville Road, bus lane on Queens Road, can't escape no matter which way you go. If these roads aren't major routes into the city centre, which ones are?

My problem is it slows everybody down for a few seconds (longer on East Bank), how many man hours a day does it cost? It causes damage to vehicles & the road surface. It's no good for my back. They get worse after the road sinks around them, develops potholes & never gets repaired. They cost money which would've been much better spent improving journey times, rather than slowing them down.

Edited by anywebsite

Odd that I've had my car for nearly 10 years and haven't had a repair that could be attributable to speed bumps.

What kind of car is it? I want one.

What kind of car is it? I want one.

Mondeo - one of the most common cars on the road.

BTW I encounter more speed bumps in supermarket car parks than I do on the roads I use in Sheffield (mainly bus routes).

Very few shops in Rotherham town centre worth looking at .

Parkgate and Meadowhall have killed it as a shopping place

Rotherham town centre has really improved over the last couple of years. lots of independent retailers have opened stores - esp on the High Street (newly refurbished shops), Imperial Buildings (top of the High Street) etc

It's well worth a visit, from S5 it is easier to get to than Sheffield city centre so I tend to go most weekends

It's not just traffic calming, there are bus gates & confusing one way systems that send you miles round.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'd like to know a better route), but Saville Street forces you onto Derek Dooley Way, can't go down the Wicker. Can't go down Duke Street to Park Square. Bus lane on Granville Road, bus lane on Queens Road, can't escape no matter which way you go. If these roads aren't major routes into the city centre, which ones are?

My problem is it slows everybody down for a few seconds (longer on East Bank), how many man hours a day does it cost? It causes damage to vehicles & the road surface. It's no good for my back. They get worse after the road sinks around them, develops potholes & never gets repaired. They cost money which would've been much better spent improving journey times, rather than slowing them down.

The one way systems do not send you "miles" around, you can still get to where you want to go.

The fact that there is a bus lane on a road does not stop you driving down that road.

All of the measures you are mentioning are just something that drivers in big towns and cities encounter every day with no problem whatsoever.

The big point that you are missing on traffic calming is that it is there to save lives, prevent collisions or reduce their impact.

Would you like to try to explain to the: wife/husband/daughter/son/mother/father/friends of someone who has been killed or seriously injured, that a few seconds of your time is worth more than their loved one's life and limb?

The casualty rates that are reduced by traffic calming involve real people who really get killed and really get maimed. These deaths and injuries have a heavy cost, not just for the victims and their relatives and friends, but for the country's economy and the NHS / emergency services.

A balance has to be struck between people's desire to get to where they want to go as quickly as possible and the wider needs of others and society as a whole. Drivers will not slow down unless they have to and that's why we have traffic calming.

Guest busdriver1
how anyone can compare rotherham and barnsley to sheffield is beyond me, they must walk around with there eyes shut

completely agree, Rotherham is much better. So what it does not have the big name shops, I dont shop in them anyway so no loss there. I honestly prefer it to Sheffiled no rows of coffee shops and hooray henry pubs.